Pawn Stars buy 1924 Sedan for $7500.00

Guest Backyardmechanic

I watch that too.the guy that apprised it put the price somthing like 6500.00-10 grand.The cloth uphousting could be right for a deluxe sedan only the Business sedan were leather.

Lets face it guys this is a business add 1500.00 for the up grade you have 9 grand so if they do sale it for 10 grand it's only a grand profit Not a very good return on the total investment.

Just another indicator of how bad the economy still is, things are sellin cheap and should not be used in any way to appraise a similar item for true value

I believe some people sell stuff to the guys on this show just to get their 15 minutes of fame, they can say they've been on national TV..........if you follow the show, you'll hear mention occasionally of the guy with the widget who's brought it in from Oklaarkantexas to sell it to these guys......

Still an interesting show, although on cars, I don't get the sense that they make very good deals.....I love the early Dodges, but a 20's Dodge sedan would be a tough sell at $10K....

These guys make it very clear that everything they buy is to resell and they must make a profit. For all but the real high end stuff, they base their price they pay on 50% of what they think it will sell for. I think it is funny to see the difference in what the 3 family members will pay for something. The old man in general will pay the lowest, the grandson is next and Rick seems to pay the highest percentage and is most readily swayed to pay a little more. That could be just for show purposes!!! I make a game of estimating the price they will pay after they get the estimate from their designated "expert".

And, of course, they know experts on just about anything you can come up with!!!

We also need to remember that it's a tv show, and as such, can be staged in any manner they wish.....for all we know, the stuff is in their back room, and they hire actors to come in and "sell" it....not saying that's the way it is...but, it's entertainment, and they're making a buck on it, and you don't want to have a camera crew film 100 unsuccessful attempt to buy things......

For example, the house hunter show that's on tv, the person has already made a deal on a house, and they come up with two others, and then present the show like it's a big decision, when the decision is already made....again, they can't afford to film a show and not have people have a good ending.....and this is not conjecture, I know this for a fact....

The Pickers show is done the same way. The seller applies to be on the show, prices are aggreed before the cameras role. They just don't drive down a lonesome road and find barns full of junk. It's all as fake as the laughter on I Love Lucy.

I will have to disagree with you on the "Pickers". That may happen some times, but it wasn't the case with a friend of mine who was on the first season. He was contacted by them to come out and "look at his collection". He told them "OK, but nothing is for sale". The crew came out and set up and the "stars" arrived and began looking around. After a short time, they began making offers which he turned down. Again after a while, the crew took my friends wife and son aside and pressured them "if you want to be on TV, you are going to have to get him to sell them something". The family got together and decided on a few items they would sell. These were strategically placed so the "stars" could "find" them and make offers. The prices were spontaneous but everything else was set up except for one item that my friend had on his pile of stuff to take to the dump. It may be somewhat fake, but, It is still fun entertainment!!!

OK, but what's really "real" on television? Once the camera starts rolling, everyone's an actor, with the whole world their stage (apologies to the Bard).......even the so-called "reality" shows aren't real, there are puppeteers pulling strings.

Real or not, it's good entertainment, and I enjoy both Pickers and Pawn Stars.....

Now, we could move on to Barrett Jackson, is it real? An auction is a show, too, and therein reside all sorts of actors and subplots..........collusion, buy-backs, fake absentee bids, shills, bumps..........lots of stuff going on in the background, and if you're not seeing it, then it's like watching only the quarterback in football....

Quote.........No one sells things to a pawn shop unless they are desperate or very naive.........I will add one other thing, I did not realize that we were talking about a TV show called Pawn Stars, I dont watch much T.V.

My addition though is that anything and everything on T.V can and prob is rigged including all those sports games. Its all a dog and pony show especially the bigger news channels