Peerless For Sale Department

jeff_a

That means it's a 1926 Peerless Model Six-80 Roadster. Cool.

Thank you! Philippe Mordant's thread "How To Identify Your Peerless" on the Peerless Forum tells us that it was 8U-6,181 in a run from 8U-101 to 8U-14,625 {counting spare engines}...thanks to you looking on the R.S. of the engine and checking the motor i.d. plate. These 6-80s were built from about November, 1925 to July, 1928.

The firewall should have a body plate with a number between 350 _ _ _ and 361 _ _ _ and possibly a coachbuilders tag saying "Peerless Body", "Raulang", or "Murray". I don't know yet who built the Boat Tail bodies for Peerless.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I had a nice talk with someone today who has a Thirties straight-8 Peerless Sedan for sale. It has the original paint and sounds like an amazingly-preserved car. I believe one would have to give the battery a charge to get it running. The owner is up in years and would like to sell. It's not for sale for small money. Please PM me if you are interested.

----Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

There is a 1929 Peerless 6-61 Sedan for sale on e-Bay until 2/11/13. It's gotten a dozen bids so far and was at $4400 the last time I looked. Location: Massillon, Ohio. Contrary to usual, there are lots of well-lit pictures and good description in this ad.

It's amazing how many people try to photograph a car & can't even come up with a ten-dollar light and an extension cord to improve the picture quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for writing. I hope you have made some progress sorting-out your new Peerless and that life at sea is agreeing with you. I'm not sure this car (recently FS on ebay) has turned up anywhere before that I know of. It does look a lot like one that appeared at auction in Berlin, Ohio in 2008 and used to be owned by someone named Mesaros.

----Jeff

Good morning, Jeff

Well, we've put our Peerless on the "back burner" for now for a couple of reasons particularly that of time constraints. The company I work for has transferred me to the West Africa division and currently located in Holland at the shipyard in Schiedam.

When I am home, Alina (my new bride) and I are squeezing in matrimony. :-) We were married last August and I am still trying to take us on a honeymoon. Today finds me in Houston as I get ready for my first day of a 4-day class for my work aboard the drillship. But, on Saturday, I'll be home for a few weeks.

Anyway, back to the Peerless: We have her securely tucked away in a far corner of the shop and covered up. As time allows, I will begin getting the engine running. It turns over with the starter now. Ahhh, since we're on this subject, do you know where I may find the chrome steps that mount to the running boards of the '27?

PS. Alina and I are headed to Puerto Rico for our honeymoon beginning the 28th of this month for a week. I go back to work on 20th March for 28 days again.

Ralph

truckmen said:

Anyway, back to the Peerless: We have her securely tucked away in a far corner of the shop and covered up. As time allows, I will begin getting the engine running. It turns over with the starter now. Ahhh, since we're on this subject, do you know where I may find the chrome steps that mount to the running boards of the '27?

Ralph,

Congrats and best wishes on the wedding and honeymoon!

The running board step plates were just an accessory you see on a few old cars. No Peerless came with them, but you could buy these cast aluminum items from the dealer. I've never seen any for sale or even seen one on a car in person. The last 4 or 5 years, there was a Peerless booth at the Hershey Swap Meet. I've never been to that as it would cost a fortune to go. It's possible there were some of these for sale there. It's not likely there will be a Peerless booth this year...so last year would have been the year to go.

If you really want something like that you could look at this site: Restoration Supply Company .They have an online catalog that includes a kind of generic step plate with a place for a small insert that has a Peerless logo of some kind(you can buy the same running board step plate with a Ford, Buick, Dodge, etc. insert, also). I think the originals had the Peerless script cast into the plate 4" or 5" across and these inserts are about 1" across. RSC also has some nice repro Boyce motometers with the correct Peerless logo on the front. If your car has an instrument panel temp gauge, of course, you don't need a motometer so much.

My educated guess is that if your Peerless is a 1927 6-80, you have a "radimeter" on the dash to the left of the steering column; or you have one of the oval 6-gauge instrument clusters with one of them being a temp gauge if you have a 1928 Peerless 6-80.

It's a little hard to piece it all together, but the Peerless "Six-80 Line" of cars went through 3 phases; an A, B and C. I've never found an owner's manual that shows it, but the 6-80 went to a plan B after the bulk of the cars were built in 1926-27 as the 6-80 A cars. The re-design for 1928 (I'm calling a B was mostly cosmetic, and seems to have been moves from drum to bullet headlights and cowl lights -- plain instrument layout with eyebrow gauges to an oval instrument panel behind glass -- big built-in roof overhang to a small metal roof visor -- and nicer upholstery and carpet. The C version actually had numerous body, wheel size, and engine changes and was called a 6-81, with an 18-C prefix on the engine serial # plate.

----Jeff

Hello again Jeff!

As always, you've been more than kind in helping me with a wealth of information and I thank you kindly for taking the time in sharing it with me. As soon as I get home, I will go out and look at the dash of our '27 Six-80 to verify what you've mentioned here. At the moment, my memory tell me differently. For now, I will also go to the website you'd mentioned: Restoration Supply Company and see what's there.

Too bad you are so far away from us too, or we from you. :-) Well, if you ever find a chance to see the East coast and, if you get to Maine, make sure to add Alina and I to your bucket list of things to do and people to meet. :-)

Thank you again for taking the time in answering.

Oh, by the way, Alina and I completed our road trip with our Desoto from Denver, CO to maine last October and while we were at it stoppe off to meet Ralph Cartonio down state here in Maine. he has all kinds of Peerless cars and if I am not mistaken has a most Peerless cars of any one owner in the world. While we were there, he pointed at a trailer and said among all the parts stored away are enough to build a complete '31 Peerless. I am half-compelled to ask him a price for the parts to reassemble it. ;-P

Ralph M Bohm

You're right, Ralph, the other Peerless owner in Maine named Ralph does have the largest collection of Peerlesses in the world. There is a gentleman in Ohio who is fast catching up, though. He not only bought a 1929 6-81 Sedan from Pennsylvania, but a large cars & parts collection from Ohio (4 desirable cars -- apparently Full Classics -- originally from the Dexter Dotson Peerless collection out of VA).

Since I mentioned hood ornaments in a previous message, I should add that about the same time Peerless cars got inside temperature gauges, a new nickel-plated radiator mascot was designed. It's a very sculptural eagle's head, very detailed, and about life-size. I think they came out in 1927. A perfect original one is worth about $350.00, I'm told. Someone is making a good copy, full-size, and solid bronze. Not quite as much detail and not nickel-plated, but still good. One comes up on ebay about every two months...price always starts at $49.00.

• 3 weeks later...

On March 12th, 2013, on the Buy/Sell Forum, 1927 S from Dayton, Ohio listed a 1929 Peerless Model Six-81 for sale for $12,000.

I believe it is a running 5-Passenger Sedan. There are photos of it here on "Craigslist Peerless Sedan & Coupe" and the Buy/Sell Forum 3/12/13 listing.

• 4 weeks later...

1915 Peerless 48HP Seven Passenger Touring

4891.jpg

Click photo for MORE photos

This rare 1915 Peerless 48HP Touring Car is still in the ownership of the original family. Purchased new by a major PA cigar manufacturer. He kept it until his passing in 1933. It was then stored until 1963 when inherited by his great grandson and stored again for 40 years.

Original speedometer shows only 24,500 miles.

A complete restoration of this very good and original car was finished in 2010. It was shown at 4 major eastern Concours d`Elegance events where it received Best in Class awards.Driven on road tests and to the Winners Circles.

The only one known. $275,000 for an expedient sale...

This is a beautiful and rare Peerless. This was the same as the 1914 6-48 with a few minor changes. The price was also the same: touring $5,000---limousine $6,000---landaulet $7,100 and Berline at $7,200.

The color is unusual but I have a few pictures showing this combination. And for an extra fee they would paint them any color.

In 1915 Peerless came out with two new models with an L head 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engine, the bodies were also changed with the walk thru front seat. This was the All-pupose four and All purpose six. These were advertised as a $5,000 car that sells for $2,000. I have not been able to find any one of these. This would be a real rare CAR.

RHL

• 7 months later...

I went to Bing images[ www.bing.com/images ] and saw a nice picture....lots of green trees and wedding guests in the background....and white streamers tied across the hood....of a 1929 Peerless for sale in Colchester, Essex, England. It's maroon w/ black fenders and wire wheels, has D/S/M, a folding luggage rack at rear and is RHD. Price: 15,000 pounds.

Just one photo but it's an excellent one depicting it in use as a wedding hire car. The ad copy is a little vague but suggests it may be a very desirable, IMO, 6-91 model with the Collins 289 engine, and a Seven-Passenger Sedan. In other words, like the black Peerless shown when you click on my profile photos, but with a 128" w.b. vs. a 120" w.b.

This Peerless might be a going concern if you live in Europe. Vehicle has been overseas since new and started out as an embassy car. Listed on: www.carandclassic.co.uk and described as "Peerless Limosine For Sale(1929)". I found the picture going to "other makes" and "1920s", then had to scroll down to the Peerless listed on October 25th.

Edited by jeff_a
British site's a little hard to navigate. (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I saw that a Peerless is FS on ebay until the 23rd of December. Starting price is $190,000. BIN price is $295,000. It's a restored 1913 Model "48-Six" Roadster. Has the 578 cu. in. engine {choices were 415, 578 and 825 for the six-cylinders models that year}. Nice restoration. This is the car helicoptered out of a canyon in California back in the 60s, written up in a HCCA Gazette story called "The Car That Came From The Sky" back then.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brando & Joanne

1927 Peerless Model Six-90 Collins Straight 6 Engine

4 door, 5 passenger, 70hp, 288.6 cubic inch engine, 120” wheel base, rear spare wheel, wooden spokes, 3250 lbs. VIN #8900603

New whitewall tires, new radiator, newly re-plated bumpers and lens trims. Peerless jack, owner's manual, logo embroidered blanket and Eagle Hood Ornament!

Lockheed Hydraulic Four-Wheel Brakes Older restoration as original, including mohair upholstery, bud vase and window curtains.

This 1927 Six-90 Sedan is Rare and Unique…

One of only Three on the “Known Peerless Automobiles in Existence” list by the Peerless Motorcar Club Just won Best in Show in Gulfport, Florida Feb. 2014

$38,700

post-60295-143142389795_thumb.jpg

Pistorius Collectible Autos

Antique & Classic Car Sales and Restoration Services

Brando Pistorius (813)917-9205

Tampa, Florida USA www.OldWheel.com

post-60295-14314238977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brando & Joanne
updated information (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Brando & Joanne

PRICE REDUCED on 1927 Peerless Model Six-90 Sedan. This beauty won a "Best-in-Class" at the FOS Amelia Island a couple of weeks ago. We need the space to start a new project, so spread the word, she is going for a fabulous price. Just reduced to $34,000. We can even work with the buyer on delivery options. The bigger engine gives you 70hp so she is ready to tour and show. More photos on our webpage

http://oldwheel.com/vintage_cars.html Call Brando to discuss 813-917-9205. Thank you!

post-60295-143142441924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brando & Joanne
picture placement (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I don't often do this, but here's a digest of some Peerless cars and trucks for sale:

_ _ _ _   (last updated 4/4/18)   _ _ _ _  57 cars in 47 months

_ 1909 Mod. 19 Roi des Belges..CA.........SOLD................................4
_ 1910 Mod. 27 Touring.........TX............SOLD...............................1-2

a)1910 Mod. 27 7-P Touring...SD............$$$...................................1
_ 1911 or 1912 Raceabout (6).. FL 3/12/15...SOLD.......................1-2
_ 1913 48-Six Roadster.........MO...........SOLD......approx. condition..1-2
b)1915 48-Six 7-P Touring.....VA.............$$$..............................1-2
_ 1915 Peerless Truck.........UK..............SOLD 6/14/14 auction........1-3
_ 1918 Mod 56 Limousine.....IA................SOLD...9/26/15 auction.......4+

c) 1920 Mod 56 4-P Roadster..OH........8/10/18 auction.......................1
d )1920 Mod 56 4-P Roadster..IA CA......$$.........9/26/15 auction.......4+

e) 1920 7-P Sedan.................MI............$$.............................................2

f) 1921 Mod. 56 7-P Touring...UT...........$$ or $$$................................1
_ 1922 Mod 56 Opera Coupe..PA...........SOLD 10/6/14 auction..........2-
g) 1923 Mod. 66 5-P Phaeton..ME.........................................................2

_ 1924 6-70 5-P Phaeton......TX...........SOLD..........................................6

h) 1925 6-72 5-P Phaeton.....ME.............................................................4

i) 1925 6-72 7-P Phaeton......CA..............................................................4+

j) 1926 6-80 2-P Roadster....OR NE ME..............$..............................................4-

_ 1926 6-80 5-P Sedan..........MO.........SOLD...............................4
k) 1926 6-80 5-P Sedan.........BC.............?..................................5

l) 1926 6-80 5-P Sedan....CA OK VA.............$.......................................4-
_  1926 6-80 2-D Sedan........FL............SOLD.......................... 1
m) 1927 6-60 Sedan..............MI..............$$..............................1

n) 1927 6-60 Sedan..........CA AZ............$$...............................2+
o) 1927 6-80 Sedan..............CA.............$..................................5
_  1927 6-80 Sedan..............OH............SOLD...........................4-
p)  1927 6-60 Sedan.............IA............$$$................................2

q) 1927 6-80 Sedan..............ME..........$...................................5

r)  1927 6-80 Landaulet........U.K. ........$$$..............................2
_ 1927 6-90 5-P Sedan.........NV............SOLD.........................1-2

_ 1927 6-90 B.T. Coupe.......MO..........SOLD............................5+
s) 1927 6-72 Roadster..........CA.............?.................................?

_  1927 8-69 7-P Sedan.....QC, CAN...SOLD.............................2

_ 1928 6-80 B.T. Coupe........MO............SOLD..........................2

_ 1928 6-80 B.T. Coupe......OH.............SOLD..........75% restored
t)  1928 6-80 Sedan.............AR.............$$.................................2-3
u) 1928 6-91 7-P Sedan........IA..............$$................................2-3

_  1928 8-69 7-P Sedan......OH............SOLD..............................3 or 4
_ 1929 6-61 5-P Sedan........NY.............SOLD.............................2
v) 1929 6-61 5-P Sedan........NY.............$...................................4-

w) 1929 6-61 Dlx. Coupe...OH ME......... $$..............80% restored

x) 1929 6-61 Victoria...........Argentina....$...................................4-
y) 1929 6-81 Roadster...........Argentina....$$...............................2
_ 1929 6-81 5-P Sedan........FL.............SOLD..............................1
_ 1929 6-81 4-P Victoria.......AB.............SOLD.............................4+
z) 1929 Station Wagon Proj....ON........$or$$...............................unfinished
aa) 1929 6-61 Sedan.............ON...............$...................................3-

bb) 1929 6-61 Sedan.............NC...............?...................................4-

cc) 1929 6-81 4-P Victoria........FL...........?.....................................?

_ 1929 6-81 5-P Sedan........PA OH ME.....SOLD.................................3-4

dd) 1929 6-81 5-P Sedan...........NY.............?.................................5

ee) 1929 6-91 7-P Sedan..........U.K............$$.................................3

ff) 1929 6-61A Sedan........MO AZ.............$...................................4

gg) 1930 Standard 8 Sedan......BC..............$$..............................1-2

_  1930 Standard 8 Sedan......AZ/MN........SOLD..............................4+
hh)1930 Standard 8 Sedan......FL WA..........$$.................................3

ii) 1930 Master 8 Sedan.........PA..............$$................................2
jj) 193_ Mod. B or C Sedan.....SC..............?..................................6

_ 1931 Mod B Cabriolet.........WI MO........SOLD...................... 1 or 2
_ 1932 Deluxe Master 8 Sedan..MO TX...........SOLD...........................5+
_ 1932 Custom 8 Sedan........MO TX..............SOLD.............................5-

If we had a Peerless Museum, we'd just park them all there for a central clearinghouse of cars for sale, and it would be an exciting display of motor cars all by itself. Anybody want to build a Peerless Museum? I'm looking for a job as a museum curator.

P.S.: I have only seen four of these 60 cars in person, so condition numbers are long-distance estimates.

Edited by jeff_a
3/21/18 2 Cartonio cars F/S (see edit history)

1915 Peerless Truck coming up for sale at the Bonhams Auction of the Michael Banfield Collection of 50+ vehicles. Auction estimate: $34,000-$42,000. Auction mentioned on the General Discussion("50-Vehicle Auction In England" thread) and Pierce-Arrow Forums also.

There's got to be someone out there with a smaller Peerless who wants to arrive at a meet in style with it aboard this truck. A 1904 would fit nicely with a 104" wheelbase, or an "ought seven" with a 112" w.b. Even a 6-60 (116"), but not a 60-Six (140")! In case anyone thought these were common in the U.S., they're not. There used to be one -- in California -- but it seems to have disappeared.

post-49853-143142527676_thumb.png

"1915 Peerless Open Back Lorry" FS; View of Cab; T-head 412.8 c.i.d. Engine

.................................................................................................................

Photos: bonhams.com to promote their June 13/14, 2014 Auction in England.

post-49853-143142527666_thumb.jpg

post-49853-14314252767_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

About noon today a post on the Buy/Sell Forum appeared listing a 1927 Peerless 6-80 Sedan for sale. Price is $11,000. There are 2 photos of the car and owner states everything works except the gas gauge. Needs new paint and upholstery, plus rust repair on one fender.

About noon today a post on the Buy/Sell Forum appeared listing a 1927 Peerless 6-80 Sedan for sale. Price is $11,000. There are 2 photos of the car and owner states everything works except the gas gauge. Needs new paint and upholstery, plus rust repair on one fender.

Very cool! And very similar to ours.

Ralph

Ralph,

I tried to help you out a little by sending a copy of what I believe is the press release of what the 1928 6-80 Sedans would be like{actually a booklet they had in all the dealership brochure racks by late '27}, plus a genuine sketch of what the instrument panel could look like on your car{two theories, anyway}. People have bicycled across the country in a week, but my letter may not have arrived yet.

Pretty smart of you two to select a Peerless model that there are lots of, eh? Better than having the only one of a particular model sometimes. There are a lot of cars around in the 6-80/6-81 line, relatively speaking.

----Jeff

The 1915 Peerless Truck fetched $72,173 at yesterday's auction held by Bonhams in the U.K. I hope some Amerikanski got it! A somewhat comparable 1917 Pierce-Arrow Truck brought $46,815. In my opinion, this more correctly reflects the rarity of Peerlesses over Pierce-Arrows, though the former is a couple of years older and has a nice wooden C-cab.

• 2 weeks later...

Mal,

By any chance, is your last name Harris? Someone joined the Peerless Motor car Club this year named Mal Harris --- but I don't have an address yet and I wondered if it was you.

Thanks & G'day to you!.........Jeff