Peerless For Sale Department

jeff_a

Frank_W,

I'm in a truck stop on a break...........but yes, Streetside Classics says it's sold. Do not know who bought it, unfortunately. I know someone in Denmark with a similar Peerless F/S, though! ( a 1929/30 Model 6-61 Sedan )

Jeff 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Thanks Jeff,

I would send this by PM but I don't satisfy club minimum posting rules. 

I have a 1929 Model 6-81 that I am doing a frame up restoration. I'm looking for a parts car as mine is in very rough shape. I will be happy to share more details in future communications. 

Thanks, Frank W

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, here's a 1907 Peerless for sale by Stewart Laidlaw in North Carolina:

_ _ _ __ _ _ also listed on the AACA HCCA Forum here ___ go to Classifieds 
 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ an Edwardian Peerless for Christmas has a good ring to it

__________________________________________________________________$225,000
image.png.18bb4ca0c16b1fa56352a6d8f6e7b44d.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's a 1921 Peerless 7-P Touring Car for sale by Classic Car Deals in Cadillac, MI.
I think it's the only '21 Peerless.

$149,995

59132028608000_tmp_max_640X480.jpg.........right front.jpg.........................This was restored in St. George, UT. The broker is in Michigan, the car is in Utah. 322 Cu. In. Peerless Equipoised V-8, dual exhausts, 80 HP.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1921, when the Peerless above was built, was when 14 officers of Cadillac Motors took over Peerless. Richard Collins became President, and brought with him a new 289 Cu. In. Six, designed by Cadillac's Experimental Engineering Department, under Richard Emig.* For 1923, there was a new rad shell for all Peerlesses**, and the new engine was employed in the Model Six-70 in 1924...ending 8 years of V-8-Only for the automaker. Richard Lichtfeld has written about how Collins brought what's often called a "Collins Six" to Cleveland when GM didn't want it in Cadillacs. The engine had comparable horsepower to the V-8 but allowed a lower sales price. Peerless sales in 1921 was just 1,000 cars(Model 56); and the 6-70 alone sold 2,700 cars, combined with 3,651 Model 66 V-8s sold in 1923-1924, according to my math.

* I just read in a snippet of info on Ebay[April, 2024] that Peerless paid $500,000 to buy Collins Motor Car Company to obtain the new Collins 289 Cu. In. engine.

** Both the Mod. 66 V-8 and the Mod. 6-70 had Cadillac Lookalike rad shells in 1923 and 1924. 

Thanks for your interest in this rarely-discussed carmaker, 1912 Caddy. The Model 56, Series 1 thru 7, was 1916-1922. The 6-70 continued into 1925 for 3 or 4 months and the Peerless 6-72 was built 1925-1927.

• 2 weeks later...

1929 sports roadster for sale on HCCA classifieds.

$10,000.00

One of only 2 known. Extensively restored then not put back together. Rebuilt motor. many spare mechanical parts, 6 wire wheel car. 

Located in Ventura County Ca.

Edited by 1912 Caddy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks, 1912. It sounds like a good deal -- but their photos don't show this car -- even though most of the others are shown; also, it leaves one to their imagination regarding what level of restoration the parts are needing to be put back together.

With this, the restored red one in Canada, the yellow one that was shown at 2012 Hershey, that makes only 3 of these '29 Six-61 Roadsters known world-wide. These are pretty nice-looking cars....so I'll show what the other two look like:

No photo description available.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 8.59.38 PM.png

• Like 1

I consider myself a serious Peerless buyer as I own two already so when I ask the seller of this car for pictures and don't hear from him it leads me to believe that something is fishy.

I may not be a  buyer this car depending on what needs to be done to it but I was going to post the photos on this site and maybe help him sell it to another Peerless fan.

After my experience with this seller I am just saying beware.

• Like 1

Thanks...I sent a message when the ads 1st appeared asking for the same but no response, either.

If he just said it's a jumble of parts in a dark storage unit, or he won't be out to it til summer it may have helped. There's also people who travel all the time cause they finally got a motorhome & they're basically Charles Kuralt!

Note to self: buy it thru the HCCA ad & save 33%.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I transferred this over from the "Peerless Photos" thread, in case someone's looking for a 1900-1932 Peerless to buy. Ken listed this February 13th, 2024. It is a 1929 PEERLESS Six-61 Victoria Coupe, sometimes called an Opera Coupe. Generally, these are 4-passenger with a fold-forward front passenger seat; room for two in back + a top hat compartment far left.

peerless.jpg

"The Car was purchaced by an online dealer several years ago. I have installed a new cloth covered wiring harness from rhode Island wiring. 

The car is currently in Pendleton, Oregon and as of today I am listing it for Sale. It runs and drives (and stops). I have too many cars to care for and can not afford to keep them all. 
It comes with the material to replace the top. asking $21k OBO
-Ken Lilienthal
ken.lilienthal@gmail.com" 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 11:47 AM, 1912 Caddy said:

I consider myself a serious Peerless buyer as I own two already so when I ask the seller of this car for pictures and don't hear from him it leads me to believe that something is fishy.

I may not be a  buyer this car depending on what needs to be done to it but I was going to post the photos on this site and maybe help him sell it to another Peerless fan.

After my experience with this seller I am just saying beware.

1912 Cadillac, I know the seller of the Peerless roadster and can tell you he is a upstanding young man. He has had some health issues that I believe has prompted him to sell a dozen of his cars. You should reach out again if still interested. Mike West

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)

3 hours ago, jeff_a said:

I transferred this over from the "Peerless Photos" thread, in case someone's looking for a 1900-1932 Peerless to buy. Ken listed this February 13th, 2024. It is a 1929 PEERLESS Six-61 Victoria Coupe, sometimes called an Opera Coupe. Generally, these are 4-passenger with a fold-forward front passenger seat; room for two in back + a top hat compartment far left.

peerless.jpg

"The Car was purchaced by an online dealer several years ago. I have installed a new cloth covered wiring harness from rhode Island wiring. 

The car is currently in Pendleton, Oregon and as of today I am listing it for Sale. It runs and drives (and stops). I have too many cars to care for and can not afford to keep them all. 
It comes with the material to replace the top. asking $21k OBO
-Ken Lilienthal
ken.lilienthal@gmail.com" 

Jeff , This 1929 Peerless has been sold in just a few days. Its going to a 300 plus car  collection in the mid west where it will have a special place with other rare orphan cars.The buy and the seller both  made good deals.  After the car gets to its new home Ill send you the details of its new home. Mike 

Thank you for the update on this and the 1929 Roadster, Mike. Guess I was a little late in putting up the photo, but it looks like the word got out just fine. With the days of sub-$100,000 Duesenbergs & sub-$1,000,000 Bentleys of that vintage being over, maybe getting a 1929 Peerless seems like a good deal these days.

Posted (edited)

Gee, this is a shocker. It pays to look at the HCCA Classifieds on the AACA Forums sometimes!

George Haley has his big 1913 Peerless Model 48-Six 7-Passenger Touring Car for sale. If you want the best of the best.

A brass car restorer told me about going to the start of a VMCCA tour 10 or 15 years ago somewhere in southern Idaho. George drove his 100-year-old car to the start of the tour, from Illinois. He also did the 1989 Transcontinental Tour, Texas to Maine, in it.

20240314_222400_001-461x1024-1.jpg

"The only car to complete all 16 Red Rock Rendezvous Tours.  Driven 85,000 miles by me.  Big six cylinder, 48-hp (4 1/2 x 6), T-Head, leather upholstery, 4-speed.  Tour ready!

Asking $345,000.00"

---- from the HCCA Classifieds listing

In The 100 Greatest American Cars, by Jan Norbye, two Peerless models are listed: the 1905 Model 9 and the 1914 Model 48-Six.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

What an impressive car! How did that compare with the contemporary Pierces and Packards - I know the old comments about the "Three Ps". but how did they differ?

Posted (edited)

Peerlesses, Pierce-Arrows, Locomobiles were on the same page at this time, each with a damn-the-cost six rated at 48 taxable HP. All different engines of course.

The Packard, Peerless, Pierce, and Locomobile all had something akin to a 38 and 48 HP model; Peerless(Model 60-Six) and Pierce(Model 66) each had an even bigger engine in 1913, amounting to 825 inches of displacement. Out of the 4 dozen Brass Era Peerless motor cars known to still exist, I think there are eight 48-Sixes.

Here's their ad for it:  The Beauty of the Peerless 48-Six 7-passenger Touring Car ad 1913 - Picture 1 of 1

• Like 1