Peerless For Sale Department

In the auction July 18th, the Peerless that belonged to the late David Baird sold for $165,000 (bringing more than a couple of restored Shelby GT 350s did). The 1917 Pierce-Arrow that belonged to both he and playwright George M. Cohan reached a higher figure, but did not sell. George was the first owner of the Pierce....nearly a hundred years ago.... and wrote the tunes "Over There" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Mal. I've heard of them, too. Mr Quam had very good taste in antique cars, not just the 1918 and 1920 Peerlesses.

I think it's fair to say if someone went to that auction and didn't see anything of interest...they're not a "car guy".

• 1 month later...

I just heard from Tom Wallace, from Ohio. He has a 1929 Peerless Model 6-81 Sedan he'll be putting on the market soon. It's blue, has a dual rear spare set-up, and wood wheels. It has been stored inside since 1964 and has 33,000 miles. He may be putting up a post here or on the Buy/Sell forum with more details and the figure he has in mind to sell it at, when he has the time between work and car shows.

There's a chance this has original paint, and I'm wondering if this is what "Obsidian Blue" looks like...one of the 10 factory colors for 1929. Body by Raulang. Formerly Dr. Beatty's car from North Huntington, Pennsylvania.

post-93154-0-48658400-1444012271_thumb.j

Well, if somebody is looking for a Peerless but they don't want a basket case, don't want one from the Oughts, the Teens or the Twenties, don't want a 1-, 2-, 4-, or 6-cylinder, this may be the one.

47974733-770-0.jpg?rev=1

photo: Jeff McIntire

This just appeared in HMN on 10/6/15, in a photo ad in the Peerless section. I believed that it was a 1930 Peerless Model "A", also called a "Standard". Getting the serial numbers and wheelbase tells me it's a 1930 Model "B" {"Master"}...a car costing $2,045 new, instead of $1,495. Price listed as $30,000 obo. Not my car, regrettably. The owner lives in Homer City, PA: 40 miles east of Pittsburgh. Model "B" Peerlesses have 322 Cu. In. Continental Mod. 13-K  straight eight engines, 115 HP, and a 125" W.B. Only 1,219 built, with about 10 remaining worldwide. Red or Maroon with Black fenders...8 nice photos on the Hemmings ad(online version), 1 small photo(1" x 1 3/4") on pg 496 of the November issue. Owner's email: klgasoil@aol.com .

PLEASE NOTE: Major edit of 2nd paragraph 10/9/15. Change in model, price-when-new, engine model, engine size, horsepower, wheelbase, and numbers built.

• 6 months later...

_ _ _ Peerless to appear at AUBURN AUCTION. The Smoky Mountain Car Museum, Pigeon Forge,TN had a Peerless in it for the last 3 or 4 decades. It appears that it will be for sale at the MAY 5-7 Auctions America event in Indiana. It is a 1920 Model 56  Sedan. There used to be a postcard the museum circulated of the car. Some are FS on ebay. In the auction site picture it looks like a jade green and beige body. Sale estimates are $25-35K. I just found this going through the 500 1900-1932 cars listed on: www.classics.autotrader.com,  or I would not have known about the sale.

AG D Pigeon Forge TN Smokey Mountain Car Museum 1920 Peerless V8 _ eBay (1).mhtml

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone go to Auburn for their Spring Auction two days ago and see the 1920 Peerless V-Type Eight Sedan that was for sale? It was part of the 12-car Smoky Mountain Museum Collection: (Don't know if this car museum in Pigeon Forge, TN folded, or if they were just trying to raise a little money. This is half of their collection. Notably absent are their 1930 Model J Duesenberg, 1937 V-12 Packard, and 1970 Plymouth Superbird.) 

• 1909 Brush Runabout.........$9,900
  • 1912 Flanders Touring........$6,600
  • 1915 Ford Runabout........$7,150
  • 1916 Overland Sport Touring,,,,,,,,$7,975
  • 1920 Peerless Model 56 V-8 Sedan(a $4,000 car when new),........$9,625
  • 1925 Dodge Sedan........$4,730
  • 1931 Lincoln Judkins Sedan........$41,800
  • 1932 Rockne Sedan
  • 1942 Chrysler New Yorker Sedan........$8,250
  • 1969 Lincoln
  • 1971 M-B
  • 1974 Cadillac Coupe Deville........$26,400

There was also the 6-car Wayne Carini Collection being sold off: (The Ferrari Guy from Portland, Connecticut)

• 1923 Buick Roadster.........$11,000
  • 1933 Pierce-Arrow Series 836 Sedan........$52,800
  • 1939 Pontiac Sedan
  • 1957 Buick Roadmaster Riviera.........$23,375 
  • 1966 Dodge Monaco
  • 1967 Cadillac Eldorado
  • 2 months later...

In the new Hemmings Motor News(September issue) there are 1929 & 1930 Peerlesses for sale. A straight six 6-61 Sedan in Massachusetts and a straight eight Master Eight Sedan in Pennsylvania.

8/11/16

I saw two pre-war cars for sale in Autabuy online today at the same dealer. Which would you rather have? They kind of stood out to me among all the post-war cars in the inventory. I don't know the owner, but am familiar with the Peerless. It came from CA to MO 9 years ago.

1926 Peerless Mod. 80 4-Door Sedan. Needs body restoration. $7,995.

15957349_424173189495043.jpg

1937 Buick Roadmaster Mod. 80 4-Door Sedan. With twin for parts. $6,695.

1937 BUICK ROADMASTER PHOTO

They are in Sweet Springs, MO. FS by Lance Auto Investments, ph: #(660) 335-2259. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bryan,

You asked similar questions about Peerlesses before when interested in a 6-80 Sedan and a 6-81 Coupe, and I answered them:

• "Craigs List ad Peerless 6-80"    12/21/10
  • "Peerless Model Numbering"    2/8/13  

I've sent you a lot of information about Peerless over the years, including about 1/2 of the 1926 6-80 owners manual. I'm surprised you don't have anything handy. Funny that you know about this dealer, then again, you probably bought and sold more cars than him during your carbuying days.:)

No need for me to spend three hours on a re-write. In the case of the first thread, it's actually the same car, six years later. In the 2nd thread, I ran through all the models from 1920-1932, though didn't mention the 6-80 had 63 h.p. It's interesting that there's a model 80 Peerless and Buick for sale at the same place. I sent pictures of the Peerless to friends I thought may know someone looking for a car....and in one case, someone in St. Louis who's interested because he would have all 3 of "The 3 Ps" if he had a Peerless. This Six-80 is the only car I ever tried to buy on ebay. It was black, in pretty good shape paint-wise(a few flakes of it had popped off, about two square inches), and a newish redone interior in kind of a maroon velour(not original mohair, but not garish). It had a 20-yr-old restoration in 2006.

The reason I sent some letters out to help sell it is that I don't like the looks of the place it's for sale at. I'm sure it's a fine establishment run by redoubtable gentlemen, but it appears to be an outdoor car lot. I think only 2 of the 20 cars listed there are pre-WWII. The Peerless and Buick are in a lot with some Chevy pickups and a '59 Edsel for cryin' out loud. No problem if they sell quick -- but it won't do the old ones any good. Maybe I'm wrong, and the Peerless was taken outside just for a good picture.

No idea how many '37 Buick Roadmasters are floating around, out of 16,129 built. 42 Peerless 6-80s are still around, out of 14,525 built in a three-year period. Surprised to read the Peerless listed more than the Buick new(but 11 years later the Roadmaster got you a bigger car for similar money). Kimes & Clark also say the '37 Buick Roadmaster still retained wood-composite construction, along with the Series 90. No doubt someone will see my re-post of the dealer's cars, buy them right away, and I'll get a big old commission check. You can't overpay a good salesman!:)

I just heard from Ron Wanmer in England. His 1927 Peerless Six-80 Landaulet will be for sale at the Goodwood Revival Sale in 2 weeks. This is a Bonhams auction and will be at Chichester, Goodwood, the U.K., on September 10th, 2016. In my opinion the best of all the 6-80s out there, with the functioning landau coachwork(top goes down over the rear seat) and film history. Previously in the Stan Reynolds(Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada) and Bill Harrah Collections, so it has some provenance. Restored in the 1990s. Don't know who made the body...maybe A. T. Demarest, Peerless Body, Murray, or Raulang.

I managed to get a photo of the car to transfer here, taken by the owner. It's a very attractive car, cut from the same cloth as the '26 Peerless Six-80 shown 3 posts up (post 131), except it has oval rear quarter windows, landau bars, a landaulet roof, leather rear seating, stirrup-shaped door handles, disc wheels, and the paint is in much better condition. The taxi lettering is in decal form and can be removed. It was fitted up like that for use in a tv series in 1990, but this is one of 250 Peerlesses custom ordered by Yellow Cab of NYC for tours of Central Park. Peerless didn't catalog a 6-80 Landaulet in '27 - but they did do so with the Mod. 6-90.

Lot # 186. Pre-auction estimate: $33,000-40,000 :o. 5 or 6 photos on the auction site.

Other lots include some french art glass(Lucile Sevin), 2 R-R Merlin engines, a '28 Bentley, a '36 Pontiac Motorhome, a '38 BMW 326 Cabriolet, a '56 Porsche 550 Spyder, a '60 Jaguar XK 150, a '62 Nash Metro, a '62 Morris Mini, 5 Ferraris, 3 Lamborghinis, a '67 Aston Martin DB6, and a '79 Vauxhall Chevette. About 70 cars total. The Porsche guarantees it to be a million-dollar-plus auction. The Metro is one of just 421 that sold in the U.S. in 1962(I had one of the others). This one is a rather tasteful Coral Red/Frost White 2-tone and was restored by the founder of the Nash Owners Club.

Peerless17.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to not get back to you earlier. We left Saturday morning for a two day trip to Montana for a Geology field trip. I brought a couple of boats & went canoeing near Virginia City earlier today, between rainstorms.

3 models in 1926: 6-80, 6-72, 8-69. It was not possible to get a 6-70 any more in 1926(even though the Standard Catalog of American Cars says so), since they were 1924 and early 1925 models only. W.B.: 116". Cost: $1,595. 

Some guy in Kansas bought the car on e-bay about a decade ago. Suppposedly a CA car FS in Oregon in good running condition, put up FS on e-bay 3 times. Went through more trouble than most trying to get it delivered. I don't know if he has it on consignment, or the vendor in MO bought it. As you said in the older Peerless Forum post, the guy had it FS on craigslist in 2010. Must not have sold then. 

A chocolate brown 1927 :( 1928 Mod. 6-60 Sedan is currently advertised on Car and Classic ( www.carandclassic.co.uk ), and American Listed. It was restored some years ago to a very high level and has a "National First Prize AACA Winner 1986" badge on the radiator shell. "Runs well and drives well." Going from Rod Brown in Newport Beach, CA to Alex McCommas in Tyler, TX, it now is for sale in Elliot, IA(near Council Bluffs, I think). I don't know who the owner is, but the contact person is Rod at (712) 767-2363/cell: (402) 651-5521. They're asking $25,500.

The blue 1929 6-81 Sedan advertised on the Peerless Forum, on the thread "FOR SALE - 1929 Peerless Model 6-81 Sedan" back on 10/28/15 for $12,000 OBO; is now in Toledo, OH, for sale on Oodle.com, and American Listed (www.toledo-oh.americanlisted.com). There are 4 photos of the interior, 3 of the exterior, and 1 of the engine in one of the ads, taken before a new set of tires was added.

This one was in storage for 45 years in PA. Owned by Dr. Marvin Beatty in Huntington, PA, and then became part of the Brian Coffee and Dr. Thomas Wallace collections in Dayton, OH. It has 33,000 miles and is listed now at $7,600. Don't know who the new owner is.

Edited by jeff_a
I listed the wrong contact info earlier. (see edit history)

Arguably the nicest Peerless for sale in the British Isles* is a 1929 Model 6-91 on: www.carandclasic.co.uk for 15,000 British pounds. That's only $20,014.46 at the current exchange. This Peerless has a 289 Cu. In. Peerless Superb Six, D/S/M, RHD, wire wheels, is maroon with black fenders, and is a 7-Pass. Sedan. It's RHD because it was a consulate car when new in South America, then came to England. I believe it was restored in the 80s. The wheelbase of the 1927-1929 6-90s and 6-91s was supposed to be 120" -- but the 7-P body styles were 128".

* O.K., the 6-80 Landaulet five posts up is pretty nice, too. Both used as wedding hire cars.

On 9/3/2016 at 6:45 AM, Imperial62 said:

The seller does know his pre war cars.  I know where he got the Buicks and I suspect he got the Peerless the same way.  Since you track these Peerless cars so carefully - how in the heck does this Peerless end up on some forelorn project cars yard on I70 in the middle of Missouri.

Yes it is outdoors, Charlie Lance is an old man without means but somehow manages to keep going, as stated.  If there is wood missing in the roof of this car, that's trouble.

i confirmed with the editor of the Buick Bugle that the Roadmasters were the same ones offered by a widow about 2 years ago.  Now here they are and they will stay there quite a while.

Bryan, Are you saying there are 2 '37 Buicks there? The dealer only has one listed.

• Oh-oh, forgot I had written "With twin for parts." on my post a month ago(post #131, 8/11/16). So there was a second Buick Roadmaster, just no picture of it. Were these 2 Buicks from Missouri, or have they been bouncing around the country since they were for sale by the widow 2 years ago?

There's a site called bangshift.com with a story called "Lance Auto Investments Junk Yard Crawl", December, 2015,[comes up  when you google Lance Auto Investments] and someone took pictures of all the cars out back last summer. Most are "Condition 6". Probably the only one I'd take is their BMW. There may be is a Yugo, plus a bunch of questionable Corvairs, Thunderbirds and Packards. I think there's a '69 Datsun Sport 1500, a Nash Airflyte with all the windows busted out, a truly hideous '58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser or Monterey, 2 Javelins, 2 Opel GT's, and a Fiero. Who knows what's out back now.

I have some business out that way later this month and maybe I'll go by to look at the Peerless. The 1926 Peerless Six-80 had a fairly intact top insert when FS 10 years ago, but if they keep it outside for a couple of years, the wood framed body will be messed up pretty bad. Same with the Buick.  ----Jeff 

On 8/27/2016 at 9:18 AM, jeff_a said:

I just heard from Ron Wanmer in England. His 1927 Peerless Six-80 Landaulet will be for sale at the Goodwood Revival Sale in 2 weeks. This is a Bonhams auction and will be at Chichester, Goodwood, the U.K., on September 10th, 2016. In my opinion the best of all the 6-80s out there, with the functioning landau coachwork(top goes down over the rear seat) and film history. Previously in the Stan Reynolds(Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada) and Bill Harrah Collections, so it has some provenance. Restored in the 1990s. Don't know who made the body...maybe A. T. Demarest, Peerless Body, Murray, or Raulang.

I managed to get a photo of the car to transfer here, taken by the owner. It's a very attractive car, cut from the same cloth as the '26 Peerless Six-80 shown 3 posts up (post 131), except it has oval rear quarter windows, landau bars, a landaulet roof, leather rear seating, stirrup-shaped door handles, disc wheels, and the paint is in much better condition. The taxi lettering is in decal form and can be removed. It was fitted up like that for use in a tv series in 1990, but this is one of 250 Peerlesses custom ordered by Yellow Cab of NYC for tours of Central Park. Peerless didn't catalog a 6-80 Landaulet in '27 - but they did do so with the Mod. 6-90.

Peerless17.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*  *  *  9/12/16:  This '27 PEERLESS SIX-80 is still for sale, Ron says. It did not meet reserve at the big auction in England. If you've wanted to have the "Jeeves & Wooster" Peerless, now's your chance. Please don't be put off by the castle in the background....it's not the owner's. Ron lives in a more modest place 3 miles away.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and I went and looked for the 1926 Peerless that was in Sweet Springs, MO four days ago. I talked to the car lots owner, who said the previous owner had died, Packard and Peerless collector John Pierson of Kansas City. It already sold to someone in New London, MO, so I didn't see it. We did take a couple of photos of the 2 Buicks. There were 5 or 6 Corvairs out back. Alas, the BMW Isetta was gone. I could have brought that back in the 6-ft. bed of my Toyota pickup, if I had put the tailgate down, not that I could have afforded it(restored ones go for  30 grand). 0-and-2 on the Peerlesses I hoped to see on this trip....maybe I'll see the 1911 Peerless Speedster here in Colorado which ran in the 1954 Glidden Tour {owner Mr. Richard Stewart of Irvington-on-Hudson, NY; then Henry Austin Clark, Jr.}. 

Update: I did get to see the Peerless Mod. 32 here in CO yesterday afternoon, so I'm 1-and-3 on the journey. What a spectacular car.

• Like 1

Just got an email on the road from David Lundberg of St. George, UT that a 1921 Peerless Model 56 7-Pass. Touring Car will be for sale in the southern Utah area OCT 8th. The auction will include some other worthy cars like a 1929 Lincoln "L" 7-P Sport Touring, a 1937 Pierce-Arrow Imperial Salon V-12 Opera Limousine, a 1938 Lincoln "K" 7-P V-12 Limousine, and two 1947 Oldsmobiles(78 Club Coupe & 98 Conv.). I was privileged to drive a '37 Pierce at the 2013 Gathering At Gilmore, and it definitely puts the "L" in luxury!

I've seen photos of the Peerless V-8 and it looks perfect...............and may be the only '21 in the world.

• 1 month later...

A 1927 Peerless Model Eight-69 7-Passenger Sedan is for sale on e-bay until about 5 p.m. tomorrow. I don't know if it will sell, but it since I put up two pictures of it on the Peerless Forum last week, the bids have gone up from 7 grand to  $12,445. The sellers are hoping to get $40,000 for the car, or near that. The Peerless was in a museum in the Montreal, Quebec area...as the seller probably is, too. SOLD to someone in MN.

s-l1600.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

57420340-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

I found this ad for a '27 Peerless Model Six-90 "Roadster Coupe" on HMN online at midnight, Christmas Eve. It must have just been listed, as it's not in the Jan., 2017 print edition. Huge choice of models and body styles in '27. This one was third down the line in price at $1,725 -- saving you $570 from the next step up at $2,295 for a Six-72 Roadster Coupe, and $1,070 savings compared to an Eight-69 at $2,795 f.o.b. Cleveland. A Model Six-80 was $1,565. You could also squeek by with only an outlay of $1,445 for a Model Six-60 Roadster Coupe. All of these were boattails, as were the Roadster versions of these 4 models. As far as I know, Peerless boattail coupes and roadsters were only available 1926-to-1928. I've never heard of a '25 or '29 Peerless Boat Tail, so far.

A one-year-only model......replaced by the similar 6-91 for 1928 and 1929......as near as I can tell, there were 1929 6-91s, but they were not made as a Boat Tail [just a standard, un-tapered, rear deck on the 1929 6-91 Coupes]. Rod Stelford has one, technically called a "Cabriolet" by Peerless. His may be the only '29 Peerless 6-91 Cabriolet extant.

1927 Roadster Coupes...Models, H.P., and Wheelbase: 8-69(70 HP, 126"); 6-72(70 HP, 126"); 6-90(70 HP, 120"); 6-80(63 HP, 116"); and 6-60(62 HP, 116"). Both the 6-72 and 6-90 have the same Peerless 289 cu. in. six[Collins 6, Superb Six], but the 6-90 has a shorter wheelbase. 8-69s have Peerless V-8s, and 6-60s and 6-80s have Continental sixes.

BlueBoattail'27.jpg

Edited by jeff_a
Added 8 lines of details. (see edit history)

Here's a link to the ad - https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/peerless/6-90/1903192.html

And for posterity here's the:

Seller’s Description:

Peerless 1927 6-90 Boattail Rumble Seat Coupe. Extremely rare non-running project car with the aluminum crankcase 6-90 engine. Only tiny amount of rust and body is overall in very good condition. Car is fairly complete but missing a few pieces. Some wood rot below the B pillars causing door line to sag. $39,500 OBO. 417-473-1333 MO

Price: $39,500 obo

A swoopy looking body style, don't think I've seen a boat tail on a coupe before.

17 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Here's a link to the ad - https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/peerless/6-90/1903192.html

And for posterity here's the:

Seller’s Description:

Peerless 1927 6-90 Boattail Rumble Seat Coupe. Extremely rare non-running project car with the aluminum crankcase 6-90 engine. Only tiny amount of rust and body is overall in very good condition. Car is fairly complete but missing a few pieces. Some wood rot below the B pillars causing door line to sag. $39,500 OBO. 417-473-1333 MO

Price: $39,500 obo

A swoopy looking body style, don't think I've seen a boat tail on a coupe before.

Mal, thanks for jumping on this right away. I found this Peerless by accident when I did a general search for "Peerless For Sale" about midnight when I was signing off, and didn't have time to describe it. It is quite a find. I had never heard of it before. Speaking of body style, Peerless almost owns the idea of a boat tail coupe. They built quite a few, as well as boat tail roadsters. The only other I can think of is the Rickenbacker Boattail Coupe, a 1926 model costing five grand with less than 20 built. There are 4 Peerlesses in Australia, you know....including a 1926 Mod. 6-80 boat tail coupe in the Melbourne area. Jim Martin was the owner, then his son.

And Merry Christ-a-mas Day, as they say in Jamaica, to you in the warmer climes!

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

The side angle.

57420350-770-0@2X.jpg

Thanks for noticing this and putting the photo up of this 6-90, A.J. I didn't feel like filling in the details after stumbling upon the ad late at night, so I  posted something cryptic.

It is a neat car. I searched the KPAIE file on all known Peerless cars and believe there to be just four boattail Model 6-90 Peerlesses....three Roadster Coupes and one Roadster in Quebec, Colorado, Virginia(20 years ago), and New York. The 6-70, 6-72, 6-90, & 6-91 Peerless models all had Cadillac-engineered 289 Cu. In. sixes. Are you familiar with the Cadillac takeover of Peerless in 1921 {Dec. 19th announcement in the 12/22/21 Automotive Industries}? These four models should all be CCCA Classics, something Classification Committee Chairman Jon Lee said of the 6-70 and 6-72 here on the Peerless Forum, but they are not.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

If someone was interested in this 6-90 Roadster Coupe but felt the apparent missing radiator and shell were deal-enders, there IS a unit for sale on ebay right now. It's billed as for a 1926 Peerless. Whether it's a perfect match, or works, I don't know, and it's $500. There were 3 models for 1926(6-80, 6-72, 8-69) and 5 for 1927(6-60, 6-80, 6-90, 6-72, and 8-69). Seller is "coupefinder" from Arizona. The central upper water inlet suggests a 6 instead of an 8. Ralph Cartonio told me that every model within a year used a slightly different size of radiator shell, so the fit would be important.  The 6-90 sold.

• 2 weeks later...

Your're correct, the asking price is a little high. It depends on how literal they are about the "Or Best Offer" part, I reckon. I used to think that for anything over ten grand, the seller should be able to drive the car over to your house to give you a look at it, but people spend more than that all the time buying non-running cars, if the auto is something special.

I tried calling the number to find out more, but got a message that the business, Thunder Road, had a busy line, so sent them a letter, instead. I think they deal in heavy truck and car restoration parts down near Springfield. So far my letters inquiring about serial numbers and car history have a 50% return rate....so who knows if we'll learn more of the Peerless. 

I got a call from Brian, the owner of the 1927 Peerless Six-90 Roadster Coupe owner in Missouri today. He got it recently from an older gentleman who had collected some cars, who had a spotty memory of where it came from and thought it may have come from a dealer in Pennsylvania. A number of loose parts are with the car, including NOS headlight lenses and the front bumper. There's a radiator -- but no rad shell. Still not complete --- but who knows what you might find in the loose parts? One neat thing is that the engine compartment looks like it has some original brilliant blue paint, and even has an original air cleaner on the carburetor, as well as the Collins Six 289 cubic inch engine President R. H. Collins of the Cadillac Motor Car Company and its top staff brought with them when they took over Peerless in late 1921. 

The business deals with semi-truck parts and '55-'57 Chevrolet repro sheetmetal. He would like to sell to someone as-is looking for unique restoration material. So far the inquiries seem to be from a couple of flip-o-rama types, people maybe thinking of sinking the usual fortune into hot rod redecorating, and one Peerless Guy who lives just 25 miles away, Rod Stelford, who has a '29 Peerless with the same engine, and is the son of legendary Peerless collector Roscoe Stelford of Pingree Grove, Illinois. 

It's an axiom that one can do whatever they choose with a car(Well, not exactly. You have to follow some rules to have it on the road, like driving & licensing regulations), but I hope this one does not go in the hot rod bin. I know there are hundreds of people who are into it, but Peerless is an actual car. Hot Rods aren't, they're fantasy cars. There never was a Hot Rod Company. Not only are Peerlesses actual cars, and a piece of American history, but they are an important part of USA automaking history. There's a saying that hot rods are worth more than antique cars. I don't know where that came from, but as a blanket statement it's not true. Someone hot-rodded a Vega once and it sold at the Scottsdale auctions for half a million, and there are some 6-figure hot rods, but there are many for sale in the sales mags for cheap, too. Taking that into account, you could actually say hot rods are cheaper than antique cars. Neither saying is universal. If I was around when my Dad was growing up, with lots of used Model Ts available for small coin, I probably would have agreed that they were underpowered and needed a Rajo Head or a  Frontenac and been part of the early hot rod scene. Sorry to get up on a soapbox.............but there are a lot of used cars that could be hot-rodded now(take a Hyundai, a Pinto, a Mustang, a Subaru,  a Suzuki, a Chevette, a Mazda pickup, or a Plymouth Neon) but only two or three Six-90 Boat Tail Coupes in the world. Peerless cars in general are much rarer than any post-war GM(over 424 million sold, lots still around), Packard(more sold in one year than all 32 years of Peerless production, thousands still around), or Duesenberg(400+ exist). No point in hot-rodding a hot rod: in 1927 Fords were 22 HP, the Peerless 6-90 was 70 HP. [Car Sold]

What's great about the seller is that he has 18 photographs on the Hemmings Motor News online ad. Because of deadlines, it won't appear in the print issue until next month(March, 2017).

Aluminum bodies 15 or 20 years earlier, but not on 1927 Peerlesses, to the best of my knowledge. The very first Peerless cars built in 1900 and 1901 had aluminum bodies...an improvement on the French cars they were patterned after. A '27 6-90 Boat Tail did have a large aluminum casting for the rumble seat step plate, and that 750-lb. Superb Six engine's crankcase and transmission housing would be aluminum.

• 1 month later...

I just heard from Ed Fallon in MN and NV, and he has his 1930 Peerless Model "A" Sedan for sale for $15,000 o.b.o. He was driving it yesterday -- so it's not 10 years away from drivability. Good title. Recent work on it, but original condition. Straight 8. Dual sidemounts. This Peerless came from the Blackhawk Collection -- prior to that, the Bill Harrah Collection.post-49853-143142494326_thumb.jpg . Ed's email is hllywooded@aol.com, PH: (602) 421-5663

• 2 weeks later...

4 Peerlesses are on www.hemmings.com today.

Today I saw a 1927 6-90 Boat Tail Coupe(289 Peerless engine); 1930 Model "B" Sedan(322 Continental engine); 50s/60s Peerless sports car(Triumph TR-3 running gear)(unrelated to Peerless of Cleveland).

The 4th one was a 1920 Peerless Model 56 Sedan -- newly listed on HMN online with great photos and A VIDEO. This one was in the going-out-of-business sale of an antique car museum in Tennessee last year. Appears to be a great running shape HPOF car after fifty years there. A rad leak fixed with a new custom honeycomb radiator.

Number of 1920 Peerlesses known: 7

Body Style: 7-P Sedan

Engine Room: 332 Cu. In. Vee-Type Aluminum Peerless Eight, dual exhaust, 80 HP

Odometer: 9,700 miles

Color: a muted green main body, grey upper, black fenders

Seller: Dream Cruise Classics #(586) 453-9316

New cost: about four grand

Cost today: $27,500............................................{there is only one known 1920 Peerless Seven-Passenger Sedan}

Grant Quam's Peerlesses were usually listed as a 1920 4-P Roadster, and a 1918 7-P Limousine w/ divider. No idea who owns them now. A lot of cars get bounced around quite a bit when they get into a big auction. The kind of guy who buys at an auction might also sell at an auction. This Peerless has been in one place for half a century. It's not priced well, though. It should be a lot more, but it's not my call. 

58733820-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

58733819-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1ag(E) Pigeon Forge, TN: Smoky Mtn. Car Museum,1920 Peerless, V8 A postcard view available on ebay of this 1920 Peerless. Comparable in some ways to the gorgeous 1920 Mod. 56 Walter Miller has(owner of autolit.com). I'm able to view the other 2 photos by right-clicking and hitting "open image in a new tab"...showing what the motor car looks like now.

• Like 1

The thingies on the ceiling fold down to block glare from the sun. You're probably not used to seeing them on 87-year-old cars. My 3/4 ton Toyota pickup has them, and it's not noteworthy....but in 1930 it was. They were in all 3 of the 1930 Peerless models(Standard 8, Master 8, Custom 8). Maybe other makes had sunvisors 87 years ago, but I don't know of any. One source* says the sun shades were part of 4 or 5 changes for the 1931 model year. I'm sure it's the original interior. I talked to Mr. Schrecengost, 84, 5 years ago, the owner in 2012. It had been in storage for 50 years, but the pre-2000 owner had some trophies from local car shows around Sligo, PA(a little town near Pittsburgh). He had the Peerless listed with one of those online marketers for collector cars at $59,900. It changed hands and now Jeff McIntire from Homer City, PA owns it. I don't know, Bryan, what would your family do with 115 horses, a 90 mph speedometer, and a 322 under the hood. You'd turn into speed demons, that's what.

It would be kind of cool for someone to have both a 1920 and a 1930 Peerless. KPAIE shows just 13 of these Model "B" Peerlesses around, plus 7 "A", 8 "C" and a few unknowns, for all of the 1930-1932 cars. Glad you appreciate the interior of the 1930. It was a collaboration by Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky and "a foremost woman illustrator"(she designed "the exclusive type of hardware and fittings"*in the interior). You probably didn't find a gym bag full of 100s today on your way out of the house, so couldn't pony up the 359/mo for it, but if someone reading this is thinking of getting it, there's a fantastic DriveReport in a back issue of Special Interest Autos of a Survivor 1932 Peerless "Master Eight"/Mod. "B" Sedan. The article talks about the pros and cons. It was the April, 1984 [SIA #80] issue, with 8 pages and 20 photos.

Speaking of the interior hardware, the one Ele Chesney has, a 1930 "Custom 8"(Mod. "C"), is fitted with solid sterling silver throughout --- but it's supposed to be a special-ordered car, and I wouldn't expect any of the other 1930/1931/1932 Peerlesses to have that. Personally, I like the 1930 Standard 8/Mod. A for sale by Doug in BC. Also here on the Peerless For Sale Department thread. He's dropped his price to 27,500 USD. Seven inch shorter w.b., same color, smaller straight-eight, but it looks like a new car. For my part, I haven't found a sack full of money to buy that one either. 

*Wager, Richard, Golden Wheels, 1986, pp 70-87. An excellent chapter on Peerless in his book on carmakers from the Cleveland area.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:10 AM, Imperial62 said:

Jeff

I agree that is a nice 7p sedan (limousine) and probably priced right, given it's originality and work they did.   Grant's 1918 was very similar to this one but I think the later the V8's got, the more equiposed they were, but that is going off memory. 

As an artifact, I would prefer the closed models. This car as the dealer points out, is almost 100 years old. Truly impressive. But - I have been a passenger in some open cars from this era (1920's) and that is an amazing experience as well. 

If this were an open 7p Touring I think the price would be higher. 

A 1920 would be one of the Mod. 56 Peerlesses, subdivided into Series 1 through 7, year 1916-22. That was followed by the Mod. 66 when wheelbase went from 125" to 128", built just for 1923 and 1924. The "Equipoised" V-8s with an improvement in timing and balance, plus removable heads, didn't come out until 1925(with the Mod. 8-67); and continued into '26-'28(Mod. 8-69). I'll try to post some photos of Walt's 1920 Mod. 56:

Image result for 1929 Peerless roadster  185B3E23C3DE464AAB23-7.jpg

photos from pinterest, autolit.com, and the Peerless Co-Operator

Now that the 1928 PEERLESS Mod. 8-69 V-8 Sedan which Significant Cars had FS in Indianapolis has sold, another motor car from the same private collection in Dayton, OH has been put on the market, a 1928 PEERLESS Mod. 6-80 Roadster Coupe. This boattail coupe with rumble seat is on consignment by www.significantcars.com AND the good old boys at e-Bay. 40 high-quality photos on the Significant Cars website. Car is partially-restored, descibed as a "stalled project". Ebay starting figure is $15,000 (below reserve); bidding ends Wednesday(3/29/17). The car needs some body work before painting, and interior work. Based on the ad copy, these are some pluses:

+complete chassis, mechanical & drivetrain restoration

+engine tested...................the correct 230 c.i.d./63 h.p. Continental flathead six

+extensive body work done

+ "all parts there to complete"

+wood wheel restoration

+new tires

+complete body wood restoration

This is, I believe, a car that sat in the Dexter Dotson Collection of Virginia for a while, then belonged to Ed Matthis of Ohio from about 1992-2011. I've seen pictures of when it was in a storage unit pre-2011. Though not finished, car has benefited from time in the latest owner's restoration facility, with engine rebuilding in-house. 

In my opinion, the buyer will be getting a vast amount of completed work with his or her purchase. 3 of the photos from Significant Cars:

030.jpg

1. Re-wooding detail.

022.jpg  

2. Correct rebuilt Continental 8U engine w/ Stromberg carb.

009.jpg

3. 1928 Peerless Model Six-80 Roadster Coupe rear view. Compare to photo in next post. Same car.

Photos of the Peerless mentioned above, a 1928 Model 6-80 Roadster Coupe. These pictures were taken by Peerless authority Don Bettes 10 or 20 years ago when the car was in storage in Mansfield, OH 1992-2011 -- before having a partial restoration. You can see what the last owner had to start with. He acquired a world-class inventory of parts for Peerlesses....and seven Peerless cars. I was able to assist him in selecting the right engine from among several spares......there being an 8U, 18C, 12K, and 332 V-8  to choose from. Body would be by Peerless Body.

PEER1.jpgseven