'88/89 Cassette Deck ideas?

DAVES89

Not wanting to steal Seans posts about a CD player upgrade to his '88, I thought I would ask if anyone has other ideas about what to install into the cassette deck area on the '88/89.

Several years ago I installed my Garmin GPS unit there, but was dissatisfied as to ease of use and a convoluted look at the screen, so I removed it and paid to have my cassette deck rebuilt.

I then went to a MP3 upgrade and have been extremely satisfied with the technology upgrade and no longer consider using the cassette deck. [it is still in place] However I still have the unused area and am looking for ideas to add to the "wow" factor of the Reatta.

One thing I am kicking around is removing the cassette deck and replacing it with a smoked glass piece. I could mount gauges or do a variation of Marcks idea of laser cutting into his CRT surround. I would etch Reatta into the smoked glass and back light it with an LED light wired into the running light circuit. This idea may also cast light down onto the headlight/wiper switch, helping with illumination there.

Any other ideas out there?

I kinda like the cassette deck. Think of it this way. Not only is it stock, but how many people have a touch-screen controlled tape deck in their cars? I have a large cassette collection and have found that the Delco "DNR" is a good substitute for Dolby noise reduction. Most of my tapes were recorded with Dolby C.

I have been thinking about one of these though as I love gadgets and I already have a aftermarket TPMS installed in my 88':

Amazon.com: Boyo VTG43 Rear View Mirror with 4.3-Inch Touch Panel LCD with Navigation/Bluetooth: GPS & Navigation

the gadget freak in me is very tempted :)

Looks pretty cool, but at $231.00 I would go with a Garmin GPS [now about $120.00] and mount it on the dash and then scour the U-Picks and look for a Compass Mirror out of a '92-96 Buick Roadmaster or Chevy Caprice. They are more retro to the years of the Reatta and can be had for about $20.00.

If you think that is a better way to go.

If you can't go the U-Pick route post your need on The Reatta Buy/Sell I am sure there is someone up there that will help you out...

Guest Mc_Reatta

I did the large screen GPS with built in mp3 player in mine.

There's always a DVD player option. Or how about a rear view video camera screen. Not that rear vision is much of a problem in our Reattas.

If you have some military contacts how about a nightvision or FLIR system. Then you wouldn't ever have to worry headlight door problems again! :rolleyes:

McReatta you must be physic, as I had a "headlight door" issue on the Black [the psycho car] about a month ago. I picked up a Riv headlight switch from the farther away U-Pick and installed it at the yard. Worked great, took it home. Well after a few minutes of driving, it would just shut off on its own and not turn back on. [Left my wife stranded on the highway, boy was she mad!] I took it apart tried a few things and never got it to work. Too bad as it had a like new illuminescent board on it. It did melt at one of the pins and then of course the point of connection on the pigtail a bit.. Swapped the switch out with a known good one after my buddy resoldered in a new pigtail. That "bad" switch is also off to Kdirk [where all my "bad component items" go].

I should send some stuff your way if you are so inclined, just PM me if you are interested.

BTW what GPS/MP3 unit did you buy [brand/size/model #?]

thanks...

Not wanting to steal Seans posts about a CD player upgrade to his '88, I thought I would ask if anyone has other ideas about what to install into the cassette deck area on the '88/89.

One thing I am kicking around is removing the cassette deck and replacing it with a smoked glass piece.

i had an xm radio mounted in there using the shell from a junkyard cassette player but i needed to cut expenses so i took a piece of lexon,painted it black on the inside so it would reflect light and mounted it in place of the cassette player to give something to stick my windshield mount phone mount to.

Dave,

I am planning to mod the lower center console and build in a nav/dvd/mp3 player with a 6.1" touchscreen. Two touch screens in one Reatta, now that is how I roll. I already have the deck (JVC NT-3HD w/nav, HD radio and HD traffic) and a spare console piece to chop for the install. I do not expect I will have this done for a bit yet as I need to do major modification of the console surround piece to fit the new deck. When all done I also aim to have basic control (track fwd/rev, play, stop, and volume) of the JVC head unit through the stock touch screen. There will electronic magic to make it all work, but it is doable.

Also as part of this plan I am hoping to add steering wheel controls (using needed parts from the Rivi column you sent me - thanks!) for the radio, and maybe climate controls if everything works the way I hope it will.

KDirk

Guest Recian

i wanted to put gauges or a touch screen with usb for the ipod but why not put a cupholder?!?! that's what the car really needs! :D

Recian-

A big Sunday Amen to the cupholder. That is probably the single biggest shortcoming to the interior design on these cars. I know there are various solutions that have been presented here for that, but what I really want is a cup holder that looks like it was factory equipment, not an add-on.

KDirk

Is it possible to put a DIN-sized head unit in the cassette deck area? If so, maybe one of the DIN-sized cup holders would work. For example, there is one that came in early '90s Tauruses (Taurii?) that has both a slide out cup holder and a slide out coin tray. Since they made millions of those cars, they are very easy to find. There are also some aftermarket DIN-sized ones that are listed on ebay. Though think there might be a clearance problem when a cup is being held and you want to put the transmission in Park.

Guest Recian

im working on ideas for cupholders. Im working with a drop-in holder for the center console. Modifying a cup holder from an 02-06 nissan altima to rest in the center console and with it down you wont even see them. The newer cars have a pop-out in the dash that i'm gona try to get my hands on and see if i can put a slot in the dash for them. That would be better seeing as when i drive my arm is always on the center console

Guest 89Reatta

It is funny I have been thinking about this "problem" recently as well. That smoked etched glass idea sounds intriguing:)