How many Reattas still on the road?

Guest agbva

Pretty decent survival rate for a car that is now 20-23 years old. I'm doing my part - I have two that are in great shape and driven regularly - yet I am humbled in that I only own half as many as Padgett!

Just yesterday I saw one driving the opposite direction I was on a main drag here. I hadn't seen this one before: a red coupe with body color moldings and a vanity plate. Not sure the year (wasn't a 91, had the 5 spoke rims) and appeared to be in nice shape from my brief glimpse, at least this one wasn't a beater.

It is interesting how there are pockets of them around the country. Seems there are concentrations of Reattae in certain places:

Michigan/Wisconsin have many, probably owing largely to there being a lot of [ex] GM employees who still own one (or more).

Missouri, Minnesota and Illinois. Not sure why, but I see a lot of them advertised for sale on craigslist, ebay, and hemmings in all three of these central states.

Florida, due to many retirees who own one. Many of them were brought down from less hospitable climates. Also, there were the demo cars used for a golf tournament down there many years ago. This probably accounts for a few extra there as well.

The southeast generally seems to have a fair number - I've seen quite a few for sale in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi over the past 4 years.

California. Well, it is a huge state with a lot of people who have a fascination with cars. So, there were bound to be a fair number there as well.

Admittedly, the above is based on purely unscientific observation but there does seem to be a pattern in which some places are heavy on Reatta's.

Hopefully there will be a better than average survival rate for many years to come.

KDirk

There are a whole bunch in my area (local BCA chapter has 25+ in it). Plus quite a few (probably 5) that aren't in the club.

There are two that I've passed in the last month that I need to find out who they belong to. A '91 Red coupe with Body color moldings, and a '88-'90 white with black moldings.

I can set out today with $4000 in my pocket and buy about 5 or more Reattas without traveling more than 150 miles.

Quite an abundance around here. Makes things fun.

Guest steveskyhawk

It is sad but I see more Reattas in the wrecking yards than on the streets. I suspect the number of registered cars is probably changing rapidly

I get the registration numbers from R.L.Polk about every year. These are the cars that are registered. We know there are still a few at dealerships and possibly museums that are not registered.

The numbers from Nov. 2010 are...............

1988 = 2406 registered = 52% of original production number

1989 = 4021 registered = 57%

1990 coupe = 4193 = 65%

conv = 1660 = 77%

1991 coupe = 899 = 74%

conv = 184 = 60%

The 1991 convertible number remaining is based on the original build of 305.

If you factor in 67 were known to be scrapped (or donated to tech schools) and would never be registered, the 184 of 238 (305-67) = 77% registered instead of 60%

Mike Rukavina claims he has seen lots of 1991 convertibles hidden away by Buick dealers.

Since he has never documented the number of cars or the vin numbers, this story cannot be verified.

Also, if you belong to the Reatta Div, the above information was published this time last year in the Reatta newsletter.

Guest steveskyhawk

In my opinion we are at a fork in the road. Many cars are going to scrap and the nice survivors are going non-op. I have the feeling the data for registered cars will reflect a precipitous drop in the near future.

Does the R L Polk only keep track of the US registered cars.

On the Ontario Canada Kijiji site there are right now six for sale.

Classic cars for sale, vintage cars for sale in Ontario Buick Reatta . Buy / Sell used cars on kijiji. Private | FSBO | Dealer

The site always seems to have at least three for sale, not always the same cars, so I think there must be quite a few of them in Ontario and the rest of Canada not accounted for.

Dunno but when I started a decade ago, the yards always had one or two, now it has been over a year since I saw one.

Whole cars and drivers still seem to be around but I keep seeing the same few cars on CL.

Well I just revived mine after 6 months of extensive rebuilding So i can add a 0.05% to that list lol My shop's owner owns a buick store and he has a red 90 vert. There's another 2 that i see around town every now and then and there's 2 im aware of in goldsboro in the junkyards