Going Bio in Ohio - #2 heating oil $2.95 gallon

Trulyvintage

Tip I will pass along ... :D

This company @ Biodiesel Sales

is selling on road #2 diesel currently at $3.52 a gallon

and off road diesel/fuel oil at $2.95 a gallon.

They are located in Miamisburg, Ohio.

I ran across them & filled my pickup tank on Friday ....

I know this is biodiesel but if your heating oil tank stays above freezing,

that is 50 cents or more a gallon savings .....

I don't think they deliver - but they have 250 gallon on up transfer tanks

on skids they rent or let you use to transport ....

Jim

Guest Bob Call

Truly and Dave:

I am sure the price differential is because the heating oil is not subject to motor fuel taxes. If the State and feds know you are buying heating oil and using in your diesel truck on public roads they would be a few degrees less than happy. Also there might be some stiff fines invlolved.

Truly and Dave:

I am sure the price differential is because the heating oil is not subject to motor fuel taxes. If the State and feds know you are buying heating oil and using in your diesel truck on public roads they would be a few degrees less than happy. Also there might be some stiff fines invlolved.

Partly true ....

#2 on road diesel rose to $4.15 a gallon today

So, that is a 65 cent plus savings there

#2 off road/farm/heating oil averages $3.50 a gallon or higher

So, that is a 55 cent or greater savings there

Jim

Seems like I recall several "episodes" in the past where people made their own bio-diesel and publicly told about it in the media - only to have the Feds move in and attempt to collect taxes on it and/or they faced hefty fines.

Read the link ....

This is a company that has been in business 6 years at the same location

Nothing shady going on here .....

Jim

Truly and Dave:

Actually I live about 20 miles away and have been looking for a bio-based heating oil for my furnace.:) I don't have a diesel vehicle.

I wonder if they dye their fuel like off-road diesel fuel?

There you go, the real bugaboo with using undyed fuel on the highway, unless it's a farm vehicle. Big fines for big trucks, little guys may get away with it..... for a while. It can not be RED guys!!!

A humorous story, one of my trucks was pulled over and had samples taken out of the fuel tanks. They were really confused when they saw the yucky white colored oil that came out of the right side tank. That was our hyd tank for the hyd pumps! :D

I've always heard the off road diesel was dyed red where as road fuel was un-dyed. So if you're running un-dyed stuff there's no way to tell. The diesel fuel I get at the pump for my Mercedes doesn't look dyed.

I actually run WVO in it and only use diesel fuel for starting and purging before shutting down.

Actually I live about 20 miles away and have been looking for a bio-based heating oil for my furnace.:) I don't have a diesel vehicle.

They had 250 gallon shipping containers on skids used for transport.

i don't think they will deliver.

If you check out the link, it has their phone number.

Jim

I wonder if they dye their fuel like off-road diesel fuel?
There you go, the real bugaboo with using undyed fuel on the highway, unless it's a farm vehicle. Big fines for big trucks, little guys may get away with it..... for a while. It can not be RED guys!!!

A humorous story, one of my trucks was pulled over and had samples taken out of the fuel tanks. They were really confused when they saw the yucky white colored oil that came out of the right side tank. That was our hyd tank for the hyd pumps! :D

I've always heard the off road diesel was dyed red where as road fuel was un-dyed. So if you're running un-dyed stuff there's no way to tell. The diesel fuel I get at the pump for my Mercedes doesn't look dyed.

I actually run WVO in it and only use diesel fuel for starting and purging before shutting down.

No dye in this biodiesel ....

It all comes from the same tank.

The price you pay depends on the use.

I paid the on road diesel price & got a receipt.

Jim

Guest Bob Call

If you guys are buying off road diesel and/or heating oil and using it as motor fuel on public roads you are taking a big gamble. EPA regulations requires off road fuel be dyed red. IRS requlations requires that heating oil and other motor fuel tax exempt diesel oil be dyed red also but with 5 times the concentration of dye so it stays red even when diluted with taxed clear diesel. If this place you ae talking about is selling off road diesel and heating oil without red dye they are breaking federal laws.

Diesel produced for government and tax exempt institutions is dyed blue. Use of blue diesel by anyone not tax exempt is a federal offense.

Saving a few bucks could cost you thousands in fines and attorney fees.

There is actually a law in Washington that permits you to use home brewed fuel for highway use without needing to report it to the revenue dept. Using it is legal as you personally use what you make. You cannot sell or commercially distribute it. This was brought up in another forum I belong to.

There is actually a law in Washington that permits you to use home brewed fuel for highway use without needing to report it to the revenue dept. Using it is legal as you personally use what you make. You cannot sell or commercially distribute it. This was brought up in another forum I belong to.
As a suggestion guys, you probably should check your local laws before heading down a "bumpy road" like this one.

This Thread has gotten off track ..... :(

I posted a tip about a local company that has been legally operating 6 years

selling locally produced biodiesel ....

I am pleased that at least one member may benefit from the tip

in purchasing heating oil for his furnace ...

Jim

This Thread has gotten off track ..... :(

I posted a tip about a local company that has been legally operating 6 years

selling locally produced biodiesel ......

Jim

What you said was fine Jim. It's just that some states have different laws and everyone should be aware of them before jumping on the bandwagon. You may buy a perfectly legal dyed fuel in Ohio or somewhere, but coming into a state that does not allow it can run into trouble. The day I got stopped was at the Virginia/Maryland line, and those fellows were serious looking.;)

Personally I'm just saying that everyone should collect "ALL" of the data before making hasty decisions that can cost you money in fines.

Wayne

What you said was fine Jim. It's just that some states have different laws and everyone should be aware of them before jumping on the bandwagon. You may buy a perfectly legal dyed fuel in Ohio or somewhere, but coming into a state that does not allow it can run into trouble. The day I got stopped was at the Virginia/Maryland line, and those fellows were serious looking.;)

Personally I'm just saying that everyone should collect "ALL" of the data before making hasty decisions that can cost you money in fines.

Wayne

Wayne,

With all due respect .......

Your point is valid - but this thread was just a notice of a good price

on legally available home heating biodiesel and on road biodiesel

As I have stated - I purchased on road biodiesel and got a receipt

No law broken ....

Jim

Ok Jim.

How were the members of the forum to respond? If it was just a notification of that particular fuel provider, I would suggest locking the thread.

You surely know how us members are? We love to make comments, sometime stupid ones as I have done in the past, all in fun though, of course.:)

Wayne

I respectfully agree with Wayne. I would say that the initial post should have mentioned not to comment or some such point. Hindsight being 20/20. Otherwise, I would say there has been some good information here.

I posted one time about the possibility of purchasing a "hobby" garage and the thread went south on issues of underground storage tanks with good information I was not aware of.

It just happens on a public forum.