Lemay museum

caf

Guest willeys41

I heard that they sold off all the high dollar car to pay the help for all the hard work there doing.He would turn over in his grave.There ripping his collection off.

Don't know where you heard that but it's not true. I had the great pleasure to meet him a couple of times. He was quite a wheeler dealer and I doubt he would mind advancing his collection and it's care by selling some cars. Before you accuse someone (the proverbial they) of ripping him off you should get the facts and not accuse wildly.

I heard that they sold off all the high dollar car to pay the help for all the hard work there doing.He would turn over in his grave.There ripping his collection off.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Tacoma, Washington...........they are investing millions in a state of the art museum. It will be interesting to see the finished product and how the attendance will go. Wish them success!

I'd like to make it up there sometime when its done. I still have a brief clip of some of his collection and he had/has quite a car collection.

Guest willeys41

I have a freind that grew up with the whole family,played in all the building as a kid.Some of the family said that they are sell a lot of the high dollar car to pay wages for the folks setting on the board.Lets just see what happen in a couple yrs.I meed him also and this has nothing to do with knowing Lemay.He would have never sold any cars.We will see what happens to the museum in a few yrs.

Guest willeys41

This whole Lemay thing is about money.The city does not give a dam about classic cars,it about how much money they can bring in.I BET there not a one of them into cars.

This whole Lemay thing is about money.The city does not give a dam about classic cars,it about how much money they can bring in.I BET there not a one of them into cars.

Who are these "they" people you're talking about? Almost everyone on the board is a diehard car guy. It sounds to me like you don't have a clue about the LeMay museum, and I suggest that until you start bringing some intellegence to what you're saying, stop posting. As the saying goes, unless you can improve the silence, keep quiet.

Guest willeys41

we will see what kind of museum when they sell off everything.Then watch the tax payers scream.Why don't they tell you what these so called board members are getting paid???Must of hit a nerve with one of them.

I see that the lemay museum is opening in their new facilities next year. The collection used to have 3500 cars but now it appears there is 600. Did they sell off most of them???

Curious, where you heard this information?

Is it a reputable source or unfounded rumor?

I heard that they sold off all the high dollar car to pay the help for all the hard work there doing.

Where did you hear this? Press release, magazine article, news story?

Again, what it from a reputable source or unfounded rumor - friend of a friend told me?

I have a freind that grew up with the whole family,played in all the building as a kid.Some of the family said that they are sell a lot of the high dollar car to pay wages for the folks setting on the board.Lets just see what happen in a couple yrs.

Nancy LeMay (widow) was quoted as saying something to the effect: 'Harold never met a car he didn't like.'

I toured the facility and grounds in June 2006, there were MANY duplicate vehicles, parts vehicles and some which were just not worthy of exhibiting for a variety of reasons. (other similar make, model, genre already on display, etc). We were even able to venture into the woods (with permission) where other vehicles had been discarded, dumped.

At that time we heard about an annual auction to dispose of some of the excess, duplicate vehicles. We saw some that were destined for that year's sale and although a few caught my eye, nothing that jumped out as being a high dollar specimen. Granted something may have changed in the past 5 years but I would like to see substantiation instead of unfounded rumors. I've been following the Museum Organization and have been very impressed with what they are doing. Hoping to get back out there (2400 miles) when it opens, a few years beyond their initial expectations (2009).

Realistically, what kind and size of museum could be constructed to display 3500 vehicles? The finished building will display anywhere from 250 to 5oo vehicles with storage area for 700 additional. Of these storage area, a quantity of that will be for private owners to pay to house their vehicles providing an income to the Museum.

A lot of this is explained in their FAQ page:

LeMay Museum > Frequently Asked Questions

and Milestone Magazine / Annual Report: LeMay Museum > Annual Reports

One of the high dollar cars which I recall was a beautiful Tucker. As far as I know, they still own the car.

post-31591-143138715513_thumb.jpg

post-31591-143138715516_thumb.jpg

post-31591-143138715518_thumb.jpg

post-31591-143138715521_thumb.jpg

Bill Harrah claimed he had provided for his museum to continue and he had not. Apparently LeMay did not make such provisions either.

Really?!?!?! Then please explain the documented 15 MILLION dollar donation of cars and funds from the LeMay family.

America's Car Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The new museum is costing $50 to $60 million. Even with an amazing quantity and quality of significant benefactors and donors that's a lot of money to raise. You figure it out.

• 3 months later...

Here is an update and video report link on the status of the museum.

The largest privately-owned collection of American automobiles, motorcycles, trucks and other vehicles in the world -- but it's not in Detroit. This 3,300 car collection of American cars once filled 52 buildings and warehouses Its owner died and now his collection is being consolidated into a state-of-the-art museum next to the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Washington. It opens on 6/2/12. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

The museum has an area for a a car-guys to rent & store their cars that offers a private on-site club house to hang-out with other renters

New museum celebrates America's love affair with the car | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

I work in Tacoma and live nearby. I've have not yet been in the museum facility, which will not formally open until June. Nonetheless, the building is spectacular, and I anticipate that it will prove to be an enormous attraction for car clubs and enthusiasts.

As noted above, many of the cars that have been auctioned were duplicates, parts cars, or major restoration projects. A few of the significant cars were auctioned in order to raise funds for the construction project, but the majority of the best cars of the collection survive intact. Some of the cars that were auctioned were re-purchased by the family.

While the LeMay family donated many cars to the Museum Foundation, the family has also retained many cars, and will continue to showcase its vehicles at its facility in nearby Spanaway. In the present fund-raising environment, it would have been impossible to raise the $175-million to build an iconic structure to house the entire collection, but the $50 - $60-million structure opening in June is a very impressive first-step.