1957 buick special brake shoes

buicknewbee

Upon inspecting my brake shoes I do need to replace them. I was wondering if anyone has bought any shoes from a particular dealer that are of same quality as the factory. In other words I want some that are soft and not hard as nails with a lifetime warranty. Has anyone purchased shoes from CARS inc.? All tips and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks! :)

I have been using Rochester Clutch & Brake for years. They will reline your shoes with one of three types of lining. They range for soft to stand on your nose.

Rochester Clutch + Brake Company

Locally we drop off the drums, too. They turn as needed and grind the linings to match the drums. They will ship.

Bernie

You should stay way from NOS and old stock brake linings. When new there are components in the material that give it flexibility. Over time it out-gases or changes its structure and makes the material hard. It won't grip the drum properly. I have seen it happen and a discussion with the brake guys confirmed it.

And the new materials Rochester C&B are using contain no asbestos. They changed over years ago, before it was banned.

Bernie

Lifetime warranty shoes (and pads) are all hard, hard linings last the longest.

They will not give you a lifetime warranty on a soft material because, obviously, they are soft and wear faster.

I understand that, that's why I am not looking for shoes with a lifetime warranty.

All excellent responses that I agree with. These currently available hard linings are probably the number one reason for disc brake conversions. Another option would be NOS or NORS riveted linings (stay away from old bonded linings).

Willie

I was looking for riveted linings, but have been informed that I can't get soft linings riveted because they will literally fly off the shoes because they are a soft compound. If I go with a hard lining they can be riveted.