Price Check 1956 Caribbean Convertible

Matt Harwood

Hey guys,

I visited a collection today with a very nice '56 Caribbean convertible. However, the car has been on static display, and while it was restored about 20 years ago, it has been driven very little and not at all since 1991. Appears to have been properly stored, all fluids drained except drivetrain oils and brake fluid, and in a climate-controlled environment (like, say, someone's living room). Originally owned by Bob Hope, if that makes any difference (doubt it). The black, white, and pink color combination seems to be fairly common for these cars, but it looks awesome.

Restoration was good, but not to #1 quality, and I would call this car a #2 or 2- if you ignore the mechanical question mark. It's a complete, intact, handsome car that will need some work to get it roadworthy again.

So help me out, what do you think something like this might be worth? The price guides and auction results are kind of worthless on these cars, with prices ranging from $30K to $150K.

Thanks!

post-31138-143138711673_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138711679_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138711684_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313871169_thumb.jpg

56 brings more than 55. There is a big price difference between a #1 and a #2 because this is a very expensive car to restore. If the chrome is #2 it will cost you 30k or more to get it to #1. I've seen super nice ones bring big money 150k plus. A just nice one might be 80 to 100k. If you asked me about 53's I could have been much more specific :-).

Packard Lover, you're right. That was my mistake. I looked through the other photos I took, and sure enough there's a placard (you can see it attached to the front bumper) that says clear as day, "1955 Packard Caribbean." Sorry about that.

Are there significant differences between the '55 and '56 that would account for a major difference in price? The owner is thinking $85K, but for a car that hasn't been driven in 20 years, that seems like a lot.

Thanks for pointing that out. I seem to be flaking out in my old age.

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably just a personal thing, but everytime I see a "restored" car with one of those accordian-style "one size fits all" radiator hoses, what comes to mind is a owner too lazy to get the right (and inexpensive) part and wonder what other less-visible short cuts have been taken.

On the other hand I see what appears to be a recast dash pad which is neither inexpensive nor easy to do.

Pending a good compression test, and a successful road test with good performance from the transmission, I don't think $85 is out of line, even in today's market.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

I looked at the engine compartment photo and the radiator hose isn't the only thing that looks generic and cheap. The wiring doesn't look that great either, especially the battery cables. There's also an obvious fuel leak from the filter bowl. Also the trunk lining looks like it fits like a cheap suit.

Who know what other surprises lurk in that pretty package.