2012 Winter National Meet INFO ????

18OLDS

Guest Art Griffin

Hi there AACA Members,

As Meet Chairmain, I will certainly try to answer any questions that you might have. Also, as we have more information to pass along, I will continue this thread on the Forum all the way up to the Meet.

Thanks, Wayne, for giving folks the Cape Canaaveral Region website. Under Activities I have a copy of the Meet Brochure posted. And although it's included in that brochure, I have listed the information on the Host Hotel, the Hilton Hotel (Melbourne Rialto Place), including both their telephone number and the special website they have put up for us. They are 1-800-437-8010 (mention Antique Auto Club or AAC), or go to website: AACA S.E. Division National Winter Meet.

Guest Art Griffin

OK, Jack Bennett is looking for one of you golfers to step up and play some golf with him. There are a number of fine golf courses in the area, and it's just a short distance to one of the municipal golf courses.

I just talked with Pat Buckley at AACA Headquarters, and it won't be long before the Meet Brochures and Registration Cards will be ready to have you reach them through the AACA website or get them sent to you in the mail. I'll post a note when she has them ready.

Art

Just to add a note to Art's comments, we're looking forward to having another great show (and hopefully great weather) next March. Those of you who attended the Dual Meet in 2008 will be familiar with the show field and the host hotel. Guess we're fortunate to have such a great hotel within a short walking distance to the show field. So, hope to see a great turnout in just slightly more than four months from now.

Ray Gettings

President-elect

Cape Canaveral Region

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Well, it's almost Thanksgiving, and it won't be long before Registration will be available for our 2012 National Winter Meet. Each year we normally have a few changes in Judging Classes, and as soon as that is completed, we will be ready to go. So, keep a watch on the AACA Website to get the word. And if you have questions that I can answer as your Meet Chairman, just post them here on the Forum or contact me directly. Of course, you can go ahead and put March 15 - 17 on your calendar!

Art Griffin

321-480-6089

artgriffin@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Hey, all You Eager AACA Members, I just checked the AACA online Meet Registration, and the 2012 National Winter Meet is ready to process registrations. So, visit Meets on the AACA home page and put in your membership number and PIN. Click on Meet Preregistration and fill out the online form. When you're ready, print it out and mail it with your check to Joe Pinson, our Registration Chairman.

If you want to go ahead and print out the Meet Brochure before you make your mind up on what you would like to register for, that's OK too. It gives you a summary of Meet Activities, a Meet Schedule, the Host Hotel (Hilton) and other info. And if you have questions, I'll try to answer them. By the way, the Hilton Hotel has given us the same room rates that they gave us in 2008 and also the same price for the Awards Banquet. WOW!

Judges' Registration will be up and running later in December. I'll post a note here when that capability is ready.

Art Griffin

321-480-6089

artgriffin@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

OK, For all you great AACA Judges who would like to judge in Melbourne at the 2012 National Winter Meet, you can now go online to Meets at the AACA website and sign up. And you can pay for your Judges' Breakfast online using your credit card as in recent years. We are ready! And, as you may know, Chip Green is again our Chief Judge.

If anybody has any questions about the meet that our Meet Brochure doesn't answer, just post your question here or e-mail me at (artgriffin@yahoo.com).

Art Griffin

321-480-6089

Art Griffin

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

I am glad to see lots of AACA members checking this thread about our National Winter Meet in Melbourne. And if you have any questions that I can answer, be sure to post a message, or e-mail me at artgriffin@yahoo.com or call me on the phone. We welcome everybody.

Art Griffin, Meet Chairman, 321-480-6089

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Good News folks! The 2012 Judging Guidelines document is now available, and it contains the latest approved list of classes for National and Grand National judging. Just go to Publications at the AACA website and click on Judging Guidelines. It's in standard PDF format, so you can open it with Adobe Reader or other PDF readers. There were only a very few changes from 2011, but you will know what class to put on your Registration Form for our Meet and other meets in 2012.

Art Griffin, Meet Chairman

AACA National Winter Meet

Guest Art Griffin

Out host hotel, the Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place, has filled up, so you will need to check with another of our fine Melbourne hotels for rooms. For the other hotels, check our club website at Car Clubs at Hemmings Motor News and then click on Activities and Meet Brochure. It's in PDF format and tells about the meet.

Art Griffin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

As I mentioned, our host hotel, the Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place is full and has no more rooms available. To save you having to go to our Meet Brochure, here is the info on other hotels that have given us room rates:

Suburban Lodge

1125 Airport Blvd. (next door)

(321) 768-9777 $59.99 dbl/$55.99 king

Residence Inn Melbourne

1430 S. Babcock St. (½ block)

1 (800) 331-3131 $127 single or double

Courtyard Melbourne West

2101 W. New Haven Ave. (about 1 mile)

1 (800) 321-2211 $103 - single or double

Fairfield Inn & Suites

4355 W. New Haven Ave. (about 5 miles)

(321) 722-2220 $99 - king or 2 queens

Holiday Inn Express

4510 W. New Haven Ave. (about 5 miles)

(321) 733-1696 $79 - king or 2 doubles

Days Inn

4500 W. New Haven Ave. (about 5 miles)

(321) 724-2051 $62 - king or 2 doubles

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Hey there AACA members, don't forget to send in your Registrations for our first National Meet of 2012. Registrations are running a little behind our predictions. Of course we know that the economy is struggling, and gasoline/diesel prices are creeping upward, and there are other great National Meet choices......maybe these are affecting our numbers. Anyway, we have a fun time planned for everyone here along Florida's Space Coast, and it's a great place for a vacation as well as attending a National Meet. See Ya!

Guest Art Griffin

Although the deadline for Registration/Refund was set at February 29th, we are extending the Registration deadline to March 5th and will accept those postmarked by that date. So, come on to Melbourne and enjoy the 2012 National Winter Meet!!

Guest Art Griffin

Several members have asked about the Seminars scheduled for Friday morning. I'm happy to announce that the 9 AM seminar will be given by a representative from Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes. He is an experienced painter and will tell folks about the available finishes as well as how to get the best results. The 10:30AM seminar will be given by Spacecoast Plating by one of their key platers. He really knows the plating business. So, plan to be at the Hilton Hotel, our host hotel, Friday morning for very informative seminars. After lunch we will have an AACA Membership Roundtable followed by the Judging School.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

We're almost there! It's only a few days before we all gather in Melbourne, Florida for the National Winter Meet! I just found out that a couple more rooms became available at the Hilton, our host hotel. Of course meet registrations have been closed, but if you are coming and want to stay at the host hotel, you might be lucky. Call (321)768-0200 and if the desk can't help you, ask for Kathryn Reid or Neil Clark.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Well, Folks, the 2012 National Winter Meet is now history! And I'm glad that so many people have praised the performance of our Cape Canaveral Region. We certainly came together as a team to make sure that everything went smoothly. The tour to the Liberty Bell Museum was enjoyed by many, and folks learned all about automotive finishes and painting from Sherwin Williams, plus folks learned about plating from Space Coast Plating. We had 291 vehicles registered, although there were a few no-shows. The weather was like Summer instead of Winter......bright sunshine and a light breeze. There were lots of people from the area that came to enjoy the vehicles in the Show on Saturday. Everybody seemed to enjoy our food, including Thursday's Ice Cream Social, Friday's Bar-B-Q with live music and dancing, and Saturday's Awards Banquet. I'm sure we'll have some photos available soon.

The many photos I took at this Meet are all on a DVD that will be in the mail tomorrow to West Peterson.

Ray Gettings

President - Cape Canaveral Region

I wish that we had had a recorder last week at the Friday roundtable to record the comments and questions.

For the record, a question of having different farm tractor clubs joining us was interesting. (Think of the Metropolitan Club having their meet in Shelbyville, TN during our Grand National, WOW! )

As Hulon McCraw told everyone, he had sent out numerous letters to all of the clubs known to him. He stated that he had only heard from "ONE" interested club, but it only had something like 15? members? Not really big enough to get involved nationally, in my mind anyway.

To me, the Round Table was one of the highlights of the weekend.

Thanks for everyone that stopped by.

Guest melmann

Let me add my compliments to the Cape Canaveral Region for the oustanding job they did last weekend. Kudos to Art Griffin and all of his committee members for their hard work. They all made it look easy - but we know better.

Thank you for hosting such a great weekend. :)

We just got home from a fabulous weekend in FLA. Art and company deserve every accolade for putting on another fantastic event. I don't know who handles weather but they deserve a medal - perfect, even a bit warm on Saturday, but a nice breeze and low humidity made it great for shorts and t-shirt. Our son Ken was able to be with us at a national meet for the first time since the 1980s - the Coast Guard let him vacation with us and we brought him along for the fun. He really enjoyed looking at all the great cars, as did we. These FLA meets are wonderful and after being tucked away all winter (even nice ones), we were ready to play cars. I noted a lot of younger spectators there who were really interested in talking with car owners about their vehicles, so the folks are FLA are doing a great job promoting our club and hobby. Did you all see that wonderful 1912 Franklin touring sporting it's fresh from the barn look? Historic Preservation is on the rise!!! Anyway, a fantastic weekend-thanks to all involved. The season has begun!

Terry

Here are a few pics! 1909 Model T coupe is rare, but how about a Model A three window coupe!

post-30751-143138896361_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138896381_thumb.jpg

post-30751-1431388964_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138896418_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138896438_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138896456_thumb.jpg

Great Meet! Art and his gang hit it out of the park...terrific seeing all of you! Earl, I even got to see you take your morning walk as I left the hotel for the airport! Glad to see you taking care of yourself! The Riv is nice!

Early morning walk? Man, I must have needed to take some luggage to the truck and trailer or something.....walking isn't among one of my favorite pastimes. To think of it, that was the most walking I've done in a long time. :) My doctor hates to hear me say it. :D Oh, thanks for the complement on the Rivvie Steve, but one thing, be sure to remember it belongs to Mama, not me. This one really, really is my wife Judy's car.....it has many parts in it from the old Rivvie she drove to work for years and years up in Maryland, and it is even the same color.

Early morning walk? Man, I must have needed to take some luggage to the truck and trailer or something.....walking isn't among one of my favorite pastimes. To think of it, that was the most walking I've done in a long time. :) My doctor hates to hear me say it. :D Oh, thanks for the complement on the Rivvie Steve, but one thing, be sure to remember it belongs to Mama, not me. This one really, really is my wife Judy's car.....it has many parts in it from the old Rivvie she drove to work for years and years up in Maryland, and it is even the same color.

From the look of Earl's car list, I guess we could say this is Judy and Earl's new car!:D

Whaddya call that 69 Electra Wayne? The Riviera is truly unique (design wise) and the old Electra is just what it is, a ragtop driver.

A used car??? :o

Sorry Earl, you opened the door.

Folks, Earl is always talking about how in his early days, his '39 Buick was not allowed on the show fields, because they were just old used cars!:cool::P

How about this for a happy winner?

From Larry Pope:

"Alexis was so excited, especially when her name was announced. We are trying to get her as interested in the hobby as much as possible so she will enjoy these meets as much as we do and not be bored to tears. She felt very special that one of the AACA "people” was taking her picture.

Thank you and we hope to see you in Tenn. this summer. Sincerely Larry Pope"

post-31395-143138897939_thumb.jpg

How about this for a happy winner?

From Larry Pope:

"Alexis was so excited, especially when her name was announced. We are trying to get her as interested in the hobby as much as possible so she will enjoy these meets as much as we do and not be bored to tears. She felt very special that one of the AACA "people” was taking her picture.

Thank you and we hope to see you in Tenn. this summer. Sincerely Larry Pope"

This is really a nice picture, and my congratulations are extended to you, Alexis and Larry.

Here are a few pics! 1909 Model T coupe is rare, but how about a Model A three window coupe!
Terry, That 3 window Model A belongs to Ray Pollock of our region (Cape Canaveral Region). Ray had me take several pics of it that were published in the May-June 2010 issue of the Model "A" News. It is indeed a very rare and unique Model A.

Ray Gettings

I took a lot of pics of it myself Ray, the Model A guys back here will go nutz over it. It was a real pleasure to see it along with all the info on display. Just wish the owners had been there while I was drooling over it!

Terry