What Model of Willoughby is this?

Guest 80mopar

Guest 80mopar

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been givin' the task to find out as much as I can about this automobile. As of this minute I know that it is a 1937 Lincoln Willoughby.

The Lincoln Tag in the Engine compartment says K8334. I can see it's a coupe..

That's all I know.. Other than I have over 50 Pictures of the car...

Thanks, Todd

Guest 80mopar

Thank you all for the fast responses....

So the car is a 1937 Lincoln Willoughby 5 Passenger Coupe ?

and 6 were Made?

I attached more pictures...

Thanks again. .. .

Update.... Yes, I think it was on Ebay a few years ago.

Rumor has it that it was purchased from a used car lot in Ohio in the Late 50's Early 60's..

It is the Original paint...

Edited by 80mopar (see edit history)

Very unusual car. It kind of dawned on me reading this that the poster may or may not know something we are taking for granted here. Willoughby was a coach builder and that this is a custom bodied car (or semi custom as I am not that familliar with Lincoln's catalog offerings in that year.) as opposed to a model name.

Almost al K models were custom built that year; Willoughby, Brunn, LeBaron and Judkins. 17 different styles, with only four "standard" body styles. Fewer than 1,000 total K's built in 1937. However, 644 of the cars built carried the "standard" coachwork: 2- and 3-window 5-passenger sedans, a 7-passenger touring, and a 7-passenger limousine.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest 80mopar

Thank you West and Steve....

I have been researching the car for a few days now and I am aware of the Willoughby connection... What I was trying to find on the good old internet was what the heck I have...

I can't seem to find any exact pictures of the car and possible a recently sold model.... ...

Just the information I have gotten here helps a bunch.... Thnaks again !

If you have not already done so try "Coachbuilt.com" and google "Wiiloughby" as well, there is surprisingly a lot out there on that company.

If you decide to sell, remember to give the "buy-sell" section of this forum a shot, I am thinking you will draw some interest. :)

Guest 80mopar

Thank you for the link, and thank you to everyone that replied..

Unfortunetly I just cannot afford restore this beautiful car...

Trying to get all my eggs in a basket so I can toss it up for sale.. Do you all suggest Ebay or another site to list it? I know someone suggested doing it here but I really have no clue of what to ask for it... Ebay being an auction site I just figured it would get what it gets..

Thanks again everyone.. I appreciate it.

Being a one-of-a-kind car, value opinions will probably be all over the place. The best way to come up with general idea, though, is to decide what kind of car would be valued similarly (a comparable).

If it were my car I'd ask $75,000, more as a fishing expedition than anything else. See what happens (this I would only do if I wasn't in a hurry to sell). Real value may be closer to $50,000, but even this may be high depending on any knowledge of the expensive-to-overhaul engine). Personally, I wouldn't take less than $25,000.

80mopar, the more work you put into researching value and considering the options the more you will likely reallize the appropriate price. I would suggest posting on the lincoln section of this forum if you have not already done so, to seek opinions as not all forum members frequent all sections. Also try reaching out to CCCA and the Lincoln clubs (I think, but am not sure, there are a couple - one is more or less prewar focused) - even if you are not a member, if you take the time to explain to them that you have a rather rare car and would like to corrospond with someone who is an expert you probably will have a good shot of speaking to some knowledgeable people.

Another option is to discuss value and possible sale or consignment with one of the better dealers - my friend Tom Laferriere out of RI comes to mind but there are others as well. Make them do a little homework first, and be sure you are somewhat in agreement on the value so they don't just take the listing and sit on it in hopes of getting lucky. Last thought there - a lot of people get scared at the thought of consigning a car and giving up some profit - but if the dealer is connected and can get you the $$ wher you can't on your own, it is a good possible way to go.

Still, if you come up with a realistic number you should post it here - it's free and has the right audience for your car.

I'm not a Lincoln expert, but to get 50k it would need to be very very nice. For some reason (which I'm happy to hear someone explain) the apples to apples Lincoln brings 1/2 the equivalent Packard.

If the best offer you get is around 25k do not be horrified. The market is soft with most guys I know selling instead of buying. Hopefully that will change in time.

I would agree with A.J. although I am not a Lincoln expert either. It is not a $50K car, and that makes me want to put up one more comment. My own opinion is if you are serious about selling, I would not price it unrealistically just to go fishing. I think you then could end up with a "stale listing" - remember, your likely buyer is tracking cars and values also. He may think "this guy is not serious about selling" and discount the car even when you drop the price. IMO if you are serious price it realistically first time out. This car will likely go to an educated buyer who appreciates the originality and rarity, and probably not someone taken in by glitter. to A.J.'s point, I am a Packard guy BUT these cars were known for quality if not the flash of some of their contemporaries.

I recently passed on a couple of attractive opportunities to move into a '46 - '48 Lincoln Continental, nice cars but personally, I think this is a more interesting, unusual car. Originality, rarity, and Full Classic status should get it down the road even in a soft economy; and short of an open car, you have a really desirable bodystyle there. Keep us posted! :)

A.J.

Very good comparable. With bids stopping at around $20,000, however, I do believe that car is worth more and wouldn't have sold it either. With just a few areas of help, that car is ready to use "as is." The O.P.'s coupe really needs quite a bit of work to make it ready to use. We haven't seen any interior photos, and that would be a major aspect of the true value of his car. If it's a rat's nest, I see minimal value in the car's "originality." Still, I wouldn't take less than $25,000 for either car.

Agree - originality does have it's limits. Any car like this, even well stored, will take a few grand more to get on the road, once you are done with tires, brakes and other essentials that will need to be renewed unless he has doen so already. If I had to guess I would say between $25 - 35K depending on reaching that right, knowledgeable "Lincoln guy" who is taken by the unusual bodystyle.

A big plus for this car IMO is going to a show and not seeing yourself there, yet it is not so obscure a missing part will sideline you for a season or so.

Guest 80mopar

Again...Thank you guys.

There are a few missing parts, but until I have time to sift through everything I can't be sure what is there or missing....

Here are a few more pics of the car.. Interior and such...

At the point I am at the car needs to be sold soon unfortunetly.... As it is...

Later this week I will toss it up over on the For Sale Page.. I'm thinking about a $23K Semi Firm price.

I believe the Henry Ford library has the original build sheets for all the pre war Lincolns. You can contact them, and for a nominal fee, get that information. It would tell you where it was shipped originally, and perhaps with that you can figure out who the original owner was by the monogram on the door.

Yep, this car seems well within the "makes more sense not to touch it than restore it" category, and it significant enough of a vehicle, IMHO, that anything less than a pro job (restoring would nto be my choice, but if one is absolutely bent on doing it...) would be a disservice to the car. $23K seems like an "I am serious" price and very fair.

Not a dealbreaker as a serious buyer will be more interested in the overall car, but is it running and if so how well? You will want to be sure to include that info as it will likely be the first question anyway. Even helpful if you know the history of the car - i.e. it sounds like a relative had it, when did they last use it. etc.

Another reasonably priced, yet unusual Full Classic. Very tempting indeed...

Glad to help a little with an opinion anyway - and thanks for posting!

here is another comp: K Motorcar Portfolio

This car was at Hershey and is really nice. The body is not as desirable as the car in question here but you can add 30% for the dealer prepping it and having to stand behind the sale.

The dealer that has it (Tom) and I had a few beers together on Wed night at the lodge. He was a nice guy. Basically what he said was that the big full classics were hard for him to turn over in his inventory because their was a smaller clientele for them. I asked him what was easy to sell? He said: "anything under 20k".

A.J. if it was that Peerless Club Tom had, BW for sure. This one, I am less sure on though; I did think of both West and yourself Monday, was off and had a couple hours to myself, and after a quick run I cleaned the WWW on the Packard... :D

80Mopar

Our bad for not asking this question way before this, but I see from your for "sale post" that the engine is disassembled. Up to now, we did not know anything about the engine, but if others here were like me, we were assuming it was at least put together, with the possible hopes of hearing it run. With this new knowledge, I think it will be very hard to find a buyer at that price. Just my opinion, FWIW.

I agree given the condition of the engine. However, since he's only asking 25K it should give him the opportunity to solicit offers and see where the market is. Perhaps an offer will come in low 20s or more. Maybe not but will be interesting to see as it is such a cool car.

I think it will somewhat limit the market to the guy who just has to have the car - a Lincoln fan and someone comfortable with those engines. Knowing why it was dissasembled with such low miles would help also. As would an inventory of parts - i.e. are the heads, intake and carb present and in what kind of condition - where have they been stored. O.P. wants to be prepared to answer these questions, when asked, he will know he is speaking to a serious buyer.

IMO the price is not totally out of line, as even not running I don't think this is, say a $10K car either.

The flip to that is I would prefer a solid non runner to a car that runs well but is rusty, but that is just me - a body guy might feel differently.