Where to get a steering wheel?

Hi, just joined, and just acquired a 1924 Dodge touring car. Runs and drives, but needs some mechanical work, interior upholstery, a new top, and a paint job. Also discovered it has the wrong steering wheel. The center hub on the current wheel is way bigger than the taper on the steering shaft, and looks like someone tried to shim it. There's also no room for the horn collector ring.

Anyway, I spent some time searching the web for the correct steering wheel with absolutely no success, so wondered if someone on here might have one. I don't particularly care about the condition of the wood; even completely missing is OK as long as the hub and spokes are in good shape.

I'm sure I'll be asking a bunch more questions over the winter as I slowly get a chance to work on it.

Thanks,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1918 DB touring, with the wrong steering wheel. It might be from the 1924 DB touring I also bought. The spider runs through the middle of the wood. On the 1918, it should (as near as I can tell) be fastened at the bottom of the steering wheel. A photo of the one you have will tell me a lot. Willy

I believe the 24 has an aluminum spider and as Willy says the ends are embedded in the rim. The earlier car like Willy's is iron or steel and has screws to attach the spider to the rim. Now what I can't remember is which of the later cars had the wood rims and which had the hard rubber rims, closed or open cars?

I believe the 24 has an aluminum spider and as Willy says the ends are embedded in the rim. The earlier car like Willy's is iron or steel and has screws to attach the spider to the rim. Now what I can't remember is which of the later cars had the wood rims and which had the hard rubber rims, closed or open cars?

Dave, My March built 1926 sedan has the hard rubber wheel.

Bill

Bill, I think that is correct. Hard rubber in closed cars, wood in open. However I do have an ALL wood wheel, including the spokes, well actually 3, that are from 1927 Deluxe sedans that also had the dash and lights from the sport models.

• 1 month later...
Guest DBAcadia

Dwollam, I bought a '27 Deluxe Sedan that had been advertised as a '26.

It is the one I turned into a blue open speedster and posted pics of some time ago. It had a broken steering wheel. '27 steering wheels have only one keyway

and the bore is larger than '24-26, which also have two keyways. If you would

like to part with one of your '27 steering wheels I would buy it. Possibly two as

my '25 Screenside also won't accept a '24-'26 steering wheel either, which

surprised me. I'll go check my Master Parts list for correct #s 207-288-8960

Tom

I've been wondering about the steering wheel in my '26 2dr coupe. It has the metal spokes with a rubber wheel. However it's been taped up each place where the metal meets the rubber so wasn't sure if this is original or if it was some sort of retro fit. How would I know if the wheel I have is the correct wheel for this car?