1927 or 1928 Reo Coupe wolverine

Guest Dick77

Guest De Soto Frank
Wolverines were only built with sedan and two door sedan bodies only. No coupes!

Sure looks like a coupe in the original Ladies Home Journal advert from 1928 posted in reply #2...

:confused:

Yes I think that is one . I will try and blow it up which probably will not work on such a old photo. [ DJ ] I know what you mean about ones that need to be restored. That is what I am thinking about buying. The reason for wanting to see a good picture of one.

Wolverines were only built with sedan and two door sedan bodies only. No coupes!

The one I am looking at has Wolverine labels on it. The guy I am talking to about it is going to send me pictures tonight. If so I will post one.

Stephen48 and others, I owned a 1928 Wolverine Sport coupe several years ago. By Sport coupe I mean a soft convertible type top basically like the Ford model A sport coupe.It did not go down but was a fabric top It was all original and upholstered in a dark green leather including the rumble seat compartment. It also had a golf compartment door on the right side just behind the passenger door. I have been told more recently that Reo never built this model. I advertised the car in HMNs and it went to a broker/dealer whom resold it to another party and is currently in a private museum. I do have photos of the car but my photo filing is a mess, they are in a box somewhere. I am going to Carlisle and Hershey so can't look for a couple of weeks. When I cleaned out the car there was a NOS head gasket on the package shelf behind the front seat, that is still in my shop gasket drawer. But,yes I did own one, sounds like it may have been the only one ever made. Bleach, thank you It was just like the advertisment you just posted. --Bob

Edited by Seldenguy
more info (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank
So what distinguishes a "wolverine" from a standard REO?

( The following info is from: American Carspotter's Guide: 1920-1939, by Tad Burness; Motorooks International, 1975 edition )

The Wolverine was a smaller, less powerful, ( and presumably ) lower-priced companion car to REO.

The Wolverine rode a 114" wheelbase, had a 50 HP / 199 cid Continental 15-E six-cylinder engine, with Northeast Ignition, 28 x 5.25 tires and a 4.45 gear ratio.

The Wolverine was introduced May 5, 1927 and "replaced" by the Flying Cloud "Mate" in December 1928.

Wolverines also appear to have had two groups of horizontal hood louvres on each side.

The "Mate" had unique hood louvres, consisting of of two tiers of short groups of vertical louvres, in a curve that swept downward towards the rear of the hood.

Senior REOs of the same period ('mid '27 - late '28) rode on a 121" wheelbase, had a REO-built 73 HP / 249 cid six with Delco-Remy ignition (sic), 30 x 6.20 tires, and 4.58 gear ratio (possibly other ratios).

Senior REOs had conventional vertical hood louvres.

I can't tell from the illustrations, but it appears that the Wolverine might have had a slightly different radiator shell than the senior REO, with regard to the inner edge contour at the top (the "cut-out" that reveals the radiator core)... senior REOs had one "step" at the top, Wolverines may have had two "steps".

With such a short production run, of an already relatively low-output independent manufacturer, it would not be surprising that few of these cars turn-up.

I'm sure there is more information on the subject, but this is a start...

I believe the Wolverine is ( or was) the Official state animal of Michigan, and legendary jazz cornet player Bix Beiderbecke started-out touring with a regional jazz band called "The Wolverines".

:cool:

Thank you everyone for all of the information. I am thinking about buying a rebuilder and I am a tad concerned about the availability of parts. I would imagine a bunch of the parts would be interchangeable but not like the A's and the T's where you can find parts any place.

• 5 years later...

Congrats on the coupe, Ian.  If I am not mistaken you are the buyer as this car was discussed a bit on FB last nite - you have come to the right place!  With a spare engine and a complete car you are off to a good start - - You will find a lot of interest here, and if you are starting a restoration anytime soon, a great way to share info and progress is in the "our cars & restoration projects" area below.  welcome to the forum!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1