Saw a 'NEW' '63 for sale locally

mt65riv

A nice example of a very early production Riviera. 120 MPH speedometer, flat aluminum dash, small depression in the vacuum can. Not too many options either. Roll up windows, no tilt, non-a/c car.

What's a car with Ohio plates doing being advertised in Portland?

This car was all that in 1963. I have this issue around here somewhere.

Mechanix-Illustrated-October-1962-001.jpg

Tom McCahill thought it was great. (I do too!)

They look like low-rider tires even on the cover. It's amazing that there weren't more accidents with all that power and those skinny shoes. :D

This car was all that in 1963. I have this issue around here somewhere.

Mechanix-Illustrated-October-1962-001.jpg

Tom McCahill thought it was great. (I do too!)

They look like low-rider tires even on the cover. It's amazing that there weren't more accidents with all that power and those skinny shoes. :D

The '63 I had was shod with 235/75/15's and even with those tires it had no problem breaking loose from dry pavement. I never drove it in the rain but I bet it would have been really fun then.

....also has painted A-pillar moldings. Nice car,

Tom Mooney

Which ones are those? I'm having trouble understanding which moldings you're talking about. I think the '63 I once had was an early car too since I still have a copy of the original title issued in Sept 62.

The moldings on either side of the dash on the interior side of the A-pillar were painted, not chrome, on the early `63`s

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom, yes, I recall mine were painted but I don't remember what color they were. They might have been silver since my headliner was silver but the rest of the interior was black.

A gorgeous car, in great condition, with lots of nice photos.

Makes you appreciate those first generation Rivieras !!

Or make you really miss the Riviera that you once had.:(

I'm curious if it has the door release handle that is accessible to rear passenger on the passenger side door. It was the first time I saw that feature available on any car I've ever owned. I wonder if it came standard on all Rivieras or if it was an option.

Or make you really miss the Riviera that you once had.:(

I'm curious if it has the door release handle that is accessible to rear passenger on the passenger side door. It was the first time I saw that feature available on any car I've ever owned. I wonder if it came standard on all Rivieras or if it was an option.

Isn't that part of the Deluxe Interior option?

-BEPNewt

Mine had leather seats so I'm not sure what that option would have included. I'm learning a lot of things about Rivs just by following this thread.

I'm kind of confused about one thing. It has the vacuum tank on the drivers side engine compartment. I thought only A/C cars had it. Mine never had one and it was a non A/C car. The mounting area still had the divots in the inner fender but they were never punched out.

riv18.JPG

• 1 month later...

OK, I finally found the long lost photos of my '63 Riviera. Here is an under hood photo showing no vacuum tank. Unfortunately there are no close up photos of the data plate. I never thought about taking a close-up photo as I figured at the time it served no real importance.:o

IMG_0009.jpg

Edited by Bleach
link to smaller photo (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest PRDDETROIT

It looks like there is a round brake booster behind the master cylinder on the firewall.

OK, I finally found the long lost photos of my '63 Riviera. Here is an under hood photo showing no vacuum tank. Unfortunately there are no close up photos of the data plate. I never thought about taking a close-up photo as I figured at the time it served no real importance.:o

IMG_0009.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HeathJ

I bought this car in Oct 2011. It is in amazing shape still and has a great story behind it. The reason why it has very low miles on it is because it was ordered from GM by a Hall of Fame baseball writer. He drove it for a while and ended up dying. His brother who owned a dealership in Ohio called Cobbledick Buick took the car over and it just sat in his showroom for a long while. When I bought it, it came with a keychain with that name on it. It also came with the owners manual and all the history of oil changes and any of the original parts that were replaced. I drive it everyday and took it to a bunch of shows last summer and have a blast with it. It now just turned over 40K miles.

Edited by HeathJ (see edit history)

I like that car. The correct size tires have always appealed to me. The sidewall is the right height and the distance between the road and the rocker panel is level and looks good. You also get the benefit of the tires not rubbing on the inner fender.

I have 7.10 X 15's on my car. When I bought it in 1978 the only 7.10's were wide whites and I settled for some 75 series tire. Then in the early 1990's Coker came out with 7.10 X 15 1" whitewalls. I was thrilled. I think I bought mine in 1996. They were due for age replacement last year. All my personal circulatory refurbishing took priority, so hopefully this spring.

Nice clean car.

Bernie