Advice On Where To Buy Lifters

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I'm currently in the process of completely going through and cleaning out the oiling system in my 52 Special with a 263 straight 8. I need to buy a set of 16 hydraulic lifters. I've been shopping around and have found a major difference in prices from place to place and I don't know why that is. The cheapest I've found are on EBAY from a vendor called Falcon Global and they are $256. CARS has them for $440. Bobs has them for $359. There were a few more on ebay for different prices somewhere in the low range of these numbers including a NOS set. Anybody have any advice on which place I should go with and why? Does the old saying "you get what you pay for" apply here? Lifters are a pretty simple device so would I be ok with the cheaper ones?

I got mine from Egge, but I forgot how much I paid for them...they were a lot though. Some advice...even though they're new, I'd disassemble and clean them. I still have one that's a little sticky it seems. My guess is that they sit on the shelf for some time and the machining oil congeals. Also, break them in like you would a new cam...30 minutes at 1500-2000 RPM...they WILL make a ton of noise for nearly 10 minutes as the oiling system slowly pumps them up. Just do your best to not go nuts during that time.

Guest shadetree77

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I checked out all the companies recommended and they all look like good places to get parts and I have them saved for future reference. However, I did a little research on this falcon global place and they just use EBAY as a store front. They've actually been in the auto parts business for over 30 years and have 9 warehouses across the U.S. So, after much deliberation I've decided to go with them, being as they have the best price. I hope I don't come to regret that decision but like I said before, a lifter is a pretty simple device. I don't see how they could screw that up. If anybody is interested I'll post on here after I get the lifters installed to let you know if I made the right move. Until then, it's on to cleaning up the push rods....man, I am not looking forward that tedious job. Thanks again!

Some advice...even though they're new, I'd disassemble and clean them.
Aaron, I have heard of this problem before and you're probably right about the machine oil getting sticky....what if I put each lifter in a can of Marvel Mystery Oil and primed it with that like it says in the service manual a few days before I installed them? You think that Marvel might soften everything up? I'd really like to avoid taking them apart if possible but I will if need be.

It's been a while, but I've always liked the prices/quality of what Terrill sells. I think Kantor and Falcon have a mix of parts from all over. Some parts look and seem right, but the metalurgy is faulty. While lifters are a very common part, I think of them as a most precision part that needs to be 'right'-there are many instances where problems have resulted when they are not. For items like this, I like to buy 'old stock' -good luck