'29 Plymouth Roadster - Looking for your thoughts

racertb

Hello:

I am going to be in the market for new tires for my '29 Roadster and I'm thinking of going with black wall tires (4.75/5.00x20) on the artillery wheels. I believe that is more authentic that the ww tires that are on there now. I even have a photo I got off eBay of a '29 Roadster coming off the assembly line with the black tires.

Also, I want to get the bumpers re-chromed and I'm looking for tips on polishing up the aluminum hubcaps. Will most likely sand (lightly) the spokes and put some polyurethane on them.

Any good, reputable and reasonably priced chromers out there?

Looking for thoughts, suggestions, constructive criticism, etc.

Thanks!

IMG00102.jpg

Guest stephen48

In my view black walls look best on a car of this age and would definately be more authentic on a Plymouth.

It is quite straight forward to repair the aluminium hubcaps knocking out any dents from the inside ,shape a piece of steel if necessary and tap with light engineers hammer .Use fine file to remove heavy scratches and then use fine paper to sand say grade 400 ,moving to even finer about 1000 then polish on a buffing wheel on bench grinder.Of course if there are no marks or dents just the buffing on the bench polishing wheel will do.Apply aluminium buffing compound to fabric wheel.

Easy to do with a little patience!

Nice car ! Like the color.Yes go with blackwalls.;)

Beautiful car!!

Black walls, no doubt.

Love the color.

What is the official name for the color of the body and darker green for the belt.??

Bill H

Ardlsey Green body and Dundee Gray belt with Swamp Holly Orange pin stripe are one of the color combinations for 1929 Plymouth roadsters. I don't have paint chips so I can't tell if that is what the car is or not. And for that combination, the sheet calls for Ardlsey Green on the wood wheels though I don't know if that is just for the rims or also for the wood. If wire wheels the color would be Swamp Holly Orange.

If any Plymouth of that era would have white wall tires when new it would have been the sportier models like the roadster. But, as noted, even those would often come with black walls. In the end, the tire choice is up to the current owner. And in this case I applaud the concept of fitting it as it most likely would have appeared on the road when new.

Thanks so much for the reply.

I'm at the point that I have to start thinking about a color other than black for my 30 CJ 6, Chrysler.

I'll do my home work and see what Chrysler used that is close to what you have, for a CJ-6, 4 door.

I'm leaving my spokes natural. Great contrast and I'm sure they were originally varnished wood.

Bill H

Ardlsey Green body and Dundee Gray belt with Swamp Holly Orange pin stripe are one of the color combinations for 1929 Plymouth roadsters. I don't have paint chips so I can't tell if that is what the car is or not. And for that combination, the sheet calls for Ardlsey Green on the wood wheels though I don't know if that is just for the rims or also for the wood. If wire wheels the color would be Swamp Holly Orange.

If any Plymouth of that era would have white wall tires when new it would have been the sportier models like the roadster. But, as noted, even those would often come with black walls. In the end, the tire choice is up to the current owner. And in this case I applaud the concept of fitting it as it most likely would have appeared on the road when new.

Ply33...are you Tod Fitch? On your website is the same car from 10 years ago. I'm Ted Bush and sent your that photo for your web site back then (feel free to use the current photo!)

Just a little history on the car...my Dad bought it for $700 back in 1962 when he saw it sitting on a gas station lot in Syracuse, NY. The car literally came out of a barn in that area. At the time, it was a cream/yellowish color (I have the photos of when it was brought home), but not sure if that was the original color or not. From there the car went to Maryland for a while and then to Florida in 1984 when Dad retired. The car was restored in '85-'86 and I had the top and rear tire cover done in 2004. Dad passed away in 2001 and I've had the car ever since. The laquer paint has held up really well all these years. The photo I posted was taken in 2010.

I still think blackwalls are probably the way go, although the photo-shopped photo to show the general idea looks terrible (no offense). I'm sure the real tires on there would look good.

How about any places that do chrome work? I know there are several in Hemmings, but I'm looking for word of mouth experience.

Thanks!

Guest DodgeKCL

I've seen NOS and original screw-on hubcaps from that era and they were all 'brushed' aluminum not polished to a bright surface like chrome. Only when the later caps,1931 PA and up, were actually chromed did they then have a bright chromed finish. The 'P', and later 'Plymouth', was always painted dull black. Kind of half way between flat black and gloss black. Chassis black is very close. And for all I know that may be what they used. And you can tell from the 'fuzzy' edge to the paint, the letters were sprayed in. Most likely with a template. The spokes on your car were painted originally. Either black or an offset color to the body. The rims on all wood spoked QDRs,quick demountable rims, were cadmium plated to keep them from rusting and sticking to the felloe. The felloe is the rim that the spokes go into. To-day the Club recommends that they be painted a dull silver approaching gray. The nuts and dogs were also cad plated and are to be painted the same as the rim. The carriage bolt heads on the hubs should be the same color as the spokes and felloe not silver. The car almost certainly came with 4:75/5:00X20 Goodyear Diamond Tread blackwalls as 99.99% of all Chrysler vehicles cars did. Blackwalls being the operative word. Whitewalls are a modern affectation that has about 99.99% of restored cars WITH whitewalls. The exact opposite of these cars at day one.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Ply33...are you Tod Fitch? On your website is the same car from 10 years ago. I'm Ted Bush and sent your that photo for your web site back then (feel free to use the current photo!)...

Yes, and thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback...the hubcaps are dull silver/brushed aluminum and are probably all original. Still leaning toward black walls, but have not ruled out ww tires either.

Any information on where I could get the bumpers rechromed (although they still look good overall)?

Car looks great. I have a 1930 30U Roadster with whitewalls which I will replace with blackwalls when these tires wear out.

As for chroming, I've been VERY impressed with Librandi's, which is near Harrisburg, PA. This is probably your best bet for show quality chrome. They chrome everything, not just bumpers. I'm sure there are many other good shops, but this is the best I've dealt with. I have also had success with Bumper Boys, from CA, but they seem to be hit or miss. I've heard bad things about them, as well. Although I've never tried them, I've heard many good things about Tri-City plating out of TN. Whatever you do, don't use Nu-Chrome out of MA. These guys took almost a year to do a re-annodization project for about 16 trim pieces I had, then they lost some of pieces as well. This was about 3-4 years ago. They were liars and jerks about the whole thing on top of it all.

Good luck!

Guest stephen48

Here is an internet picture of an original 1929 Plymouth from the Chrysler museum.This answers a lot of questions!

post-76051-143138618078_thumb.jpg

Guest stephen48

Amazing , what a small world.You guys are fortunate being close to such interesting collections.I always like to see your photos!

Amazing , what a small world.You guys are fortunate being close to such interesting collections.I always like to see your photos!

Close is relative. From Oregon (where keiser31 is) to Michigan (where the WPC museum is) is about 2400 miles (nearly 3900 Km).

Close is relative. From Oregon (where keiser31 is) to Michigan (where the WPC museum is) is about 2400 miles (nearly 3900 Km).

I have relatives in the Detroit area and was back there a few years ago.

Hi, Nice Plymouth Roadster. I do agree with the concensus that Blackwall tires would look appropriate but mention that the Chrysler Museum car has natural wheels and the rims are painted silver. I have used this approach on some of my cars and find the look correct. Some rims were galvanized, some cadmium and some painted black. The black is too much dark while the silver gives a nice color break. Easy to test with some silver paint (have used everything from Rustoleum silver to the new caliper silver which is very close to cadmium) I do have some NOS hubcaps if you would like, and yes they are shiny, but not chrome like. You may PM me if you wish

Rob Burchill

• 1 month later...
Hi, Nice Plymouth Roadster. I do agree with the concensus that Blackwall tires would look appropriate but mention that the Chrysler Museum car has natural wheels and the rims are painted silver. I have used this approach on some of my cars and find the look correct. Some rims were galvanized, some cadmium and some painted black. The black is too much dark while the silver gives a nice color break. Easy to test with some silver paint (have used everything from Rustoleum silver to the new caliper silver which is very close to cadmium) I do have some NOS hubcaps if you would like, and yes they are shiny, but not chrome like. You may PM me if you wish

Rob Burchill

Thanks Rob...in the photo above with the Plymouth on the assembly line, it appears that the rims are black and I can't tell if the spokes are painted or not. I am going to go with black tires (most likely Lester) and keep everything else the same for now. If I did re-do the rims, I would probably go the cadium route for the paint break/contrast like you mentioned.

I will PM you about the hubcaps...

Rob Burchill

PM sent a few days ago...

Plymouth Fans:

Any feedback on the thoughts below? I plan on doing this project within the next couple of weeks...thanks for any more feedback!

1. Decided to go with black wall tires this time because I think they are more original and authentic. Looking at Lester, BF Goodrich and maybe even Firestone (a Model "A" tire?).

2. I believe I have decided to go with black rims as opposed to cadmium colored. I have seen it done both ways (both ways with a black wall tire). The photo that is attached to a previous reply with the '29 Roadster coming off the assembly line appears to have this combination, although you can see (in the actual photo that I have and not clear on here) that the spokes are painted and can bairly see the pin striping on the spokes.