My 56 won BEST OF SHOW!

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

My Buick won Best of Show at it's first car show. Only Buick there, so not much competition. Ran cool, with the new electric fan I put in. Charging system does not seem to be working, so something to look into.

Saw a guy there, he has 5 wire wheels that he got here in 1960 off a wrecked Skylark(he wishes he had taken that home also!) Anyway he wants to sell them what should I offer? I have not seen them yet. Been in a barn since 1960.

post-67843-143138591899_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138591902_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! yahoo.gif

Me I'm nor surprised..you did a hell of a job on that restoration.

As for the wires..know this; to restore them is a Kings ransom so when you buy, buy to run them as is. As far as assessing value it's all based on condition and I will leave it to those that are much better at that than me for determining what to offer.

Guest Rob McDonald

JERRY, who says that speed, economy, and quality can't come together on a Buick project? You and your trophy have proven it!

Ditto on what Bob says. If those wheels aren't in great shape, let them go. The centre caps are pot metal and very prone to serious pitting. However, they have been repro'd although I don't know what those would cost. If the centres are the worst part of the wheels or if they're missing, this might still be a good buy. They really would look terrific on your Roadmaster.

As for price, a fairly good used set of '53s sold for $600 or less, after languishing here on the forum for quite a while (http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1953-skylark-wire-wheels-304111.html). They're not particularly rare, so I'd say there is no point in buying junk just because it's nearby.

JERRY, who says that speed, economy, and quality can't come together on a Buick project? You and your trophy have proven it!

Ditto on what Bob says. If those wheels aren't in great shape, let them go. The centre caps are pot metal and very prone to serious pitting. However, they have been repro'd although I don't know what those would cost. If the centres are the worst part of the wheels or if they're missing, this might still be a good buy. They really would look terrific on your Roadmaster.

As for price, a fairly good used set of '53s sold for $600 or less, after languishing here on the forum for quite a while (http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1953-skylark-wire-wheels-304111.html). They're not particularly rare, so I'd say there is no point in buying junk just because it's nearby.

Congrats Jerry, well deserved award. Want to see it in person next year i Charlotte :)

Ditto, what Rob said. Only an excellent set of originals or restorations would do that Coral Beauty justice. However an older set with a few pimples and salt and pepper pits would look ok on say an old original condition 53-56. So as always, value is dependent on what an individual is willing to pay.

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks guys, I appreciate you comments on it and the wheels. Will try to go see them, once it cools down some, be a week or two or more before that happens, I think!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gunjeep444

Thanks guys. I noticed, after I bought the Buick last year, that you never see them in car shows. I think 110% of all 55-57 Chevy's still exist, or were made. About the same with Mustangs. Gets sorta boring. Why is that, are there fewer Buicks, more were junked than Chevy's? Just wondered. Seems GM cars of 1958 are especially rare, fewer made, or what?