Road Trip Input

Guest sconnors

Guest sconnors

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice. I'd like to take my 1950 Buick down to the 18th Annual East Coast Boardwalk Classic Car Show on September 22-25, 2011. Looking for input as to whether I should attempt to drive the '50 down and back. It's about 325 miles one way and around 5 and a half hours driving time one way. I checked out transport services but they want around $1400 which is not in my budget.

My girlfriend lives in Wayne NJ which is about 3 hours away, so I was thinking of driving the car there, staying overnight at her house and heading to Wildwood in the morning and doing the same thing on the way home.

Since I've had the car I think the longest trip I've done has been about two hours. Anyone ever take their '50 or so car on a long trip like this and if so, how did you make out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

My thoughts are go for it. That is exactly what I would do. The caveat being everything is ship shape with the car to begin with. So why not? It is part of the bonding ritual that must be performed regularly. On a serious note. These cars are unbreakable at 55 miles an hour. Drive it that way and you should have no problems. After all that is what the car is made for. Forget the interstate and run the U.S. highway circuit. It will be much more bountiful for you and your car.

Good luck.

I attended the very first and second shows in Wildwood with my 1947 Town and Country 20 some-odd years ago

I know it was not a Buick but I drove the car from Columbia, NJ - 3+ hours - and never had an issue. Make sure, as stated in the previous thread, that you check everything before heading out. Take along some simple tools, too - just in case.

I enjoyed driving the car there and to spend $1400.00 to transport it seems silly. Besides, I remember the multitude of thumbs-up, horn honking, etc as I was driving down the GSP. It was a nice feeling. The trip from Wayne is relatively straightforward and should pose no problems.

Have fun and enjoy the car and the drive.

Maybe I will attend this year.

Joe

I agree with both the David and Joe. There is no feeling in the world like winding down the road in your classic 1950 Buick, especially a highway, traveling like it was done when your car was new, enjoying the little things around you that you miss in the daily hustle and bustle! Especially if you have your girl with you! These cars are meant to be driven, so drive, baby drive! (and if you really want to impress your gal, spend some of the $1400 on a nice hotel, or great dinner! ;) )

Scott, I drove mine to Salado, Tx and back. About 1400 miles round trip. Only problem was a plugged fuel filter . Also drove it to Ames last year. About 800 miles round. And it was made to run faster than the 55 suggested. Drove at a steady 65 most of the time. The shocks need replacing, so anything faster was hairy. We certainly drove them faster in the '50s! Enjoy and good luck

Ben

Good points. This makes me remember a program I was listening to, I think it was the Car Talk Brothers show on PBS a few years back and they were addressing "flashing" back to then and now on how the old cars operated and felt then as we remembered them but how they actually compared to what we are use to driving today. So with that, one of the brothers said he got an old car back that he had some 40 years earlier and drove it. He was frightened to death with the fishy big no feel steering wheel and the stand-on-top-of brakes. I think he had a 51 Olds or something like that. You steered these cars by the hood ornament not the "feel" at the wheel and used the brakes by kinda "riding them" a bit just to know they were pumped up!

He went on to say that he did not remember the car this way and how the various improvements kinda cloud are recollections of back when.

As said before, drive it!

But bring some tools and a supply of fluids, and the following spare parts in the trunk for a road trip:

--Radiator hoses ( I keep my old ones in the trunk as a back-up.);

--Fan Belt (Same);

--Good fuel pump or at least a rebuild kit;

--Carb rebuild kit;

--Regulator.

Have the following with your neighbor, boxed and ready to ship at a moment's notice, if not in the trunk with the other stuff:

--Water pump;

--Generator.

This is all stuff you WILL need eventually, so why not have it on hand now?

Keep a AAA card current with the extra towing option, and perhaps the most recent BCA roster. If you get stuck, you can look up the locals who might be able to loan you a driveway and an extra hand, or recommend a mechanic.

You can always find a mechanic quickly, you can not always find parts as fast, so bring along what you can.

Take the US highways and enjoy the drive!

Guest sconnors
As said before, drive it!

But bring some tools and a supply of fluids, and the following spare parts in the trunk for a road trip:

--Radiator hoses ( I keep my old ones in the trunk as a back-up.);

--Fan Belt (Same);

--Good fuel pump or at least a rebuild kit;

--Carb rebuild kit;

--Regulator.

Have the following with your neighbor, boxed and ready to ship at a moment's notice, if not in the trunk with the other stuff:

--Water pump;

--Generator.

This is all stuff you WILL need eventually, so why not have it on hand now?

Keep a AAA card current with the extra towing option, and perhaps the most recent BCA roster. If you get stuck, you can look up the locals who might be able to loan you a driveway and an extra hand, or recommend a mechanic.

You can always find a mechanic quickly, you can not always find parts as fast, so bring along what you can.

Take the US highways and enjoy the drive!

That's a great idea taking the most recent BCA roster! Never would've thought of that. Thanks for the great tips!!

Hi Scott,

Yesterday I had the '40 LaSalle out for a 50-mile trip to a club meeting. I took the US-12, not the Indiana Toll Road, route. The turning heads and the admiring looks are what touring is all about, and you don't get them on the Toll Road.

I agree concerning interstates and speed--cars, and tires, of this vintage are very happy at 55, not so happy at 65, and really unhappy at 75.

Have fun, 'cause if it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

--Tom