Summer weight oil for 31 PA Plymouth

AlfaTazio

Fellas,

I need to change out the engine oil in my 31 Plymouth PA. The previous owner thinks it needs straight 30 w, with a can of STP (?). I would think not.

I am wondering if Shell Rotella 15-40 wt. might be a acceptable choice.

Thanks,

Jay

Engine oil, the subject of as many opinions as there are old car owners.

My opinion is that if the engine is clean any modern multi-weight oil is good. I typically use 20w-50 store brand in my 1933 in summer. If the engine is not clean and you are worried about the detergent in multi-weight oil loosening deposits and ruining the engine, then you should tear down the engine enough to clean it out.

No doubt others will chime in with their opinions...

The manual calls for 30W. Why mess with it?

Don't have the manual for a 31, but for the 33 the manual calls for 40 or 50 weight in summer depending on the type of driving.

And they did not have multiple weight oils back then for the factory to specify. You get more start up wear with a heavy weight oil than you do with a multi-weight. The multi-weight will circulate faster to cut down the time you have metal on metal contact. And for old cars that are parked for long periods of time, start up wear is a bigger issue than with a daily driver.

I think the rotella is ok if the previous oils were detergent. btw... good oil article in the august 2011 issue of car craft. deals with starting out with a new cam. looks like lucas break-in sae 30 has LOTS of zinc... my idea is to put maybe 1/2 quart of that oil in at each oil change.

I use the Brad Penn Penn oils with lots of ZDDP in my old iron. It gets top marks from most of the restorers I've talked to, and with all the talk of zinc in the oil, it can't hurt. I'm normally a fan of synthetics, but they tend to leak more in the old cars simply because the molecules are smaller and can fit through holes that regular oil can't. For our old, low-RPM engines, though, I think it's merely a matter of preference. Any oil today is better than the best oils of the past.

...... Any oil today is better than the best oils of the past......

I agree with that Matt, and also.......

Any oil is better tahn NONE! ;)

I'm getting my old Essex ready for the Vintage Tour in July. It leaks more oil than it uses, so it changes itself. Since I only drive the car about a 1000 miles a year tops, I don't think the oil type makes much difference, just keep it full.

Wayne