Just a Hello.

Guest Rayne

Guest Rayne

I just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself.

My name is Adam, and I live in the hot center of the sun... er the states. I guess it's all about the cars here, so I'll skip to the good parts.

My love of Buicks started about ten years ago. I worked right next to a restoration shop in a little city called Reno. Now, growing up in Reno I had seen my fair share of classic cars. You can't live in the epicenter of "Hot August Nights" and not love old cars. But the shop in question had a '64 Buick Special on rollers that they would push out of the shop every morning. I drempt about that car every day...

I am currently the proud father of a 1968 LeSabre400 4-door. She is the first love of my life (unless you are reading this honey, then it's you, always you). I rescued "Baby" from the front of a wrecking yard where someone had dropped her off to be destroyed. As I was driving by on my way to work one day, the coke bottle profile caught my eye. B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l... It was love at first sight, I almost wrecked my van as I craned my neck. I couldn't wait for my work day to finish so I could rush back to that wrecking yard. The anticipation built all day untill I thought I would litteraly quit my job just to get back to that car.

When I finaly made it back there, my heart stopped dead... I didn't see "Baby" anywhere, I was crushed. I went inside to see if anyone could tell me about her, the owners kid was tending the register. When I asked, I could tell she had no idea what I was talking about. Lucky me, the owner walked in just as I was about to lose my mind. I explained to him what I had seen that morning, and tried to play it cool when I found out he had the clean title to it. He excused himself and went into his office to make a phone call. I could tell he was trying to be quiet, but I strained my ears to hear. He was telling his yard hand to "keep that pile out of the crusher". My God.... I had almost lost her forever.

He told me that he had payed $300 a ton for scrap. I offered to match that if I could take her away. After some internal deliberation, he informed me that he would need to make "a profit". I was stuck, he had me, I couldn't leave her any more than I could stop breathing, and he knew it. I asked to see her up close.

He walked me through the yard toward the hulking machine that would have consigned my "Baby" to oblivion. Rounding the last heap of refuse, there she was. I couldn't see the rust for the dreams dancing in my head. He warned me that she didn't run, and threatened if I could't move her "all bets were off". I popped the hood. The power plant was all there, nothing was missing. I told him I would have it moved by the following evening. When he asked if I had a trailer, I looked him dead in the eye and said, "I'll be driving her home". He chuckled and shook his head, saying that he knew cars, and this one wasn't going anywhere under it's own power without a long stay in a garage.

The following day after work I showed up at the yard, ready to spring "Baby". I had ten gallons of gas, a new battery, a pouch of wrenches and screwdrivers, and a desperate need. Once I got my hands dirty, I realized I was missing a few key pieces, but I had a growing smile...

Hooked up the vaccuum advance, checked the gap on the points. Regapped the plugs, straightened out the plug wire connections (apperently they didn't know the firing order, it's on the intake mannifold). Reconnected the choke, primed the carb. Bingo.

She stalled almost every time I came to a stop. She bogged down every time I hit the gas. But she made it all the way home. And she is loved.

Rayne, that is a story that brings a tear to to eye! Wow. As Rob said, welcome to the forum. It truly is a great bunch of guys and is Buick Nirvana..Post some pictures of your baby on here. We would all love to see her.

Don't be a stranger now, ya hear! :)

Welcome Aboard Matey. :D Old Buicks Make fine Road Yachts, but on water, they not be floating so well... Arrrrhhhhh harr har haaarrrrr. ;)

Glad to hear you rescued one from a grooling crusher death. Dandy Dave!

Some "iron merchants" seem to underestimate the desire of a vehicle's "soul" to be among friends. Friends who'll appreciate the car for the marvelous "contraption" it can be. I feel sure that you'll make it all it can be!

Just don't name your Buick "Christine"!

You might have had to pay him a little over "the going rate" for scrap metal, but you probably will make out OK, anyway.

Thanks for the great story! Even if you might have to put your car activities on the back burner for a while, sometimes, that'll just give you some extra time to ponder your next move a little longer.

Welcome aboard!

NTX5467

Guest Rayne

Absolutely Pete, I've already started a post in "Me and My Buick" with photos of day 1. I've so far documented everything. I actualy planned to put everything together once I'm done as a sort of "car diary". I'd like to be able to put it with the car when I show it, so that people can kind of see my story.

Adam,welcome errr...aboard.Dandy Dave I beg to differ about Buicks not floating too well.....:D:D:DCUBA BOAT CAR | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Avast ye mateys... it be a floating Buick... har har harrrr....hardy harrr har! :P But what be the salt air doing to the body??? :eek: Dandy Dave!