Two cars from the early 1920s. What are they?

oldcar

I have just discovered these two photographs from a family album. The car with the "smart young men about town" is especially interesting. The shape of the headlight rim and the disc wheels may provide a clue. Can anyone identify either car please?

oldcar

post-51681-143138566774_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138566779_thumb.jpg

Ozstatman, the pics you posted are of a Special Six, a similar but slightly different car to the Big Six. The Model EK Big Six was built through 1923 and 1924. All but one of the pics I have of Big Sixes of that era have the full set of louvres. Maybe the car in Dave Mellors pic was an option for cold climates?? Regarding the tyre size on the car in the mystery pic - maybe the pic was taken when the car was a couple of years old and it had been fitted with the new fangled balloon tyres. From about late 1924 there was a complete change of styling.

OK, I'll settle for 1922-24 Big 6.

Just looked up my Studie book and did a search as well. They had lots of different models during this period....

Some had the Packard/Willys/Buick radiator and some had the square one. Would have been a very expensive car for Australia.

Manuel in Oz

The age of the Dodge cited may not be correct. I was able to pass on a correct engine to a friend for his 1922 low radiator car. There is different placement of the fan mounting for low radiator cars, which is on the front of the block; but it is on the front of the cylinder head on later cars with the high radiator like this.

The close casting dates of block, head, and timing case were late 1921, and probably from an early 1922 car.