1990 rear struts or shocks...?

ptt

My recently rescued 1990 red Coupe is very bouncy when I push down on the rear bumper! Is it time for rear struts....or is it shocks on these cars? Whats a good replacement unit(s)? Thanks.

Depends more on the ride and sensitivity to bumps, AFAIR the struts are not set very hard.

Is relatively simple if you have the right tools and can allow penetrants a day or so to penetrate. Best left to a professional if not. There is a star tool recess in the top of the strut to hold while removing the nut.

Think many have liked the Monroe SensaMatic.

So the Reatta uses shocks and instead of struts??? My local Automoan calls them struts and O'Reillys calls them shocks....... They are special order and priced from $75 to $170!!! Monroe Sensatrac were the cheapest and Sachs were the most expensive.

It occurs to me that in some catalogs the rears may be listed as shocks since there aren't coil springs that go over them. There is a steel bar spring mounted between the struts/shocks instead of coil springs on each strut, perhaps this is the reason for the different terminology.

KDirk

Does this look like what I want....(from the Monroe site)

ts71966.jpg

view-larger.gif <TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width=130 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><INPUT id=comp1 type=checkbox value=buickreatta19881991monroets719661364150> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left><LABEL>Compare</LABEL></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=right>icon-question-mark.jpg</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Live Help </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Monroe Rear Suspension Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly - Sensa-trac Premium Strut - Rear Suspension Sensa-trac Premium Strut Assembly Sold Individually Lifetime Monroe Limited Warranty

1990 Buick Reatta

<FORM name=lowPrice1 action=http://www.speedycarparts.com/low-price-guarantee.html method=post target=_blank><INPUT type=hidden value=Monroe name=brand> <INPUT type=hidden value=TS71966 name=sku> <INPUT type=hidden value=$54.35 name=price> <INPUT type=hidden value="MONROE SENSA-TRAC PREMIUM STRUT ASSEMBLY, TWIN-TUBE, BLACK, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY

Monroe Sensa-Trac Premium Strut with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech system combines exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston. These features are designed to significantly improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of vehicles. Additionally, the abovementioned features dramatically increase the vehicle suspension response time to changing road and weight conditions.

Specifications:

• 22 in. extended length
  • 15 in. compressed length
  • 7 in. damper travel
  • 14.25 in. body length

Features:

• Contains all weather fluid with special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction
  • Rod displaced valving specially tuned to each vehicle application automatically adjusts to road conditions for ride consistency and comfort
  • Fluon banded piston provides consistent sealing between the piston and pressure tube which delivers better control and increased durability
  • Unique precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube perform like an additional stage of valving for optimum ride tuning
  • Hardened and chrome plated piston rod lengthens service life
  • Rod guide with bronze-reinforced bearing and special single lip seal helps extend service life and deliver a more consistent suspension performance
  • Nitrogen gas charged interior reduces aeration thus promotes constant tire to road contact and improves ride and handling

" name=desc>

• Availability: In Stock
  • Fit Note: PN[AK43] May Be Required To Replace Original Lower Mounting Bolt And Nuts.
  • Series: Sensa-trac Premium Strut
  • Type: Strut Assembly
  • Quantitysold: Sold Individually
  • Warranty: Lifetime Monroe Limited Warranty <!-- ? if($location!=''){?>
  • Part Number: TS71966
  • MFR#:71966
  • Low Price Guarantee

</FORM><FORM id=form_1 action=http://www.speedycarparts.com/catalog/addenditem.php method=post>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=170 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=2 height=19>Our Price: $54.35 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=right width="50%" height=25>Quantity:</TD><TD vAlign=center align=left><INPUT type=hidden value=buickreatta19881991monroets719661364150 name=p_id> <INPUT style="BORDER-RIGHT: #999999 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #999999 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #999999 1px solid; WIDTH: 30px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #999999 1px solid; HEIGHT: 15px" maxLength=3 size=3 value=1 name=qty> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=right colSpan=2>

<INPUT class=btn-AddToCart type=image src="http://www.speedycarparts.com/images/btn-add-to-cart.gif" value="" border=0>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Product Description:

MONROE SENSA-TRAC PREMIUM STRUT ASSEMBLY, TWIN-TUBE, BLACK, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY

Monroe Sensa-Trac Premium Strut with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech system combines exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston. These features are designed to significantly improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of vehicles. Additionally, the abovementioned features dramatically increase the vehicle suspension response time to changing road and weight conditions.

Specifications:

• 22 in. extended length
  • 15 in. compressed length
  • 7 in. damper travel
  • 14.25 in. body length

Features:

• Contains all weather fluid with special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction
  • Rod displaced valving specially tuned to each vehicle application automatically adjusts to road conditions for ride consistency and comfort
  • Fluon banded piston provides consistent sealing between the piston and pressure tube which delivers better control and increased durability
  • Unique precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube perform like an additional stage of valving for optimum ride tuning
  • Hardened and chrome plated piston rod lengthens service life
  • Rod guide with bronze-reinforced bearing and special single lip seal helps extend service life and deliver a more consistent suspension performance
  • Nitrogen gas charged interior reduces aeration thus promotes constant tire to road contact and improves ride and handling

</FORM>

Guest Recian

thats a pic of a strut. If it's got a spring around it, it's a strut no matter what anybody calls it. If the suspension has a spring with a round tube seperate holding it together, that's a shock. If u had to go with shocks the sensatracks with built in springs are pretty nice for a firm ride but youre goin with struts all the way around

On the Reatta, is it recommended to replace the upper strut mount and boot at the same time? Looking at the illustrations manual, it seems this is really only an issue in the front suspension. In any case it might be handy to have a line on a pair of strut mounts before starting - in case it proves difficult to separate the strut from the mount due to corrosion.

BTW, a shock simply damps motion. A strut also holds the car up.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

I replaced the rear struts on my 1990 Reatta coupe, and got these from O'Reilly Auto Parts:

1. Two rear Struts: Monroe Sensa-Trac # 71966

2. Master Pro Strut Mount Kit # FM1154

You need a good T50 L-wrench, and as mentioned, use a liberal supply of penetrating oil on the top nut. There isn't much clearance at the top to hold the strut rod and break the nut loose. Hope that helps,

Rich

Nah they're still available (and I had no idea what D A N I E L was talking about).

Personally I really like Sensatracs.

Look if you want to call me out that is fine, but make sure you are right before you do.

Yes the rear struts are still out there, but good luck finding them when the supply runs out at your supliers.

Oreilliy's Carquest, Parts Pluss, and Autozone do not even have a option/listing for them. Rock auto had the set I bought, on manufacture discontinued sale. These are in person and for a 89 I have not check for 90, 91, and 88, but I am fairly sure they are the same. Oh one other thing when Oreilly's called to special order them they were told they are discontinued.

Sorry one last thing. Not available at GM.

Edited by D-a-n-i-e-l (see edit history)

I wasn't "calling you out" they just show as still available when I look 'em up on both RockAuto and on Monroe's site.

Screenshot2011-06-10at55637AM.png

If they are indeed discontinued, it seems we'd be able to use the 71801 which is the Sensatrac spec'd for the other 'E' bodies? I lack the technical wherewithal to suss-out the difference in spec, can you take a look?