1929 chrysler window handle removal help

tcslr

How is the handle on the window crank removed? The nut is 1 1/16 and I see a small hole - almost like a set screw - but with no screw.

The problem is the crank does not open the window. Upon removal of headpiece I see the passenger side gear is not mating with the slide.

Or if anyone has a suggestion about that... that is the heart of the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Tom<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Yes. And any guidance on the sprocket and slide misalignment?

Without seeing it in person or with a photo, I would have to ask you...is the bar too far off to one side and dropped down? Maybe someone cranked it too far one way. As far as the handle goes, is there an escutcheon under it? If so, there may be a solid pin or even a hollow drift pin holding the handle to the shaft. Wish I was there to actually see it to help out. Just be very careful as the handle is most likely a delicate pot metal that is nickel plated.

By 29 had Chrysler not shifted to chrome, even for trim components? Also Marmon had the nasty habit of pressing the assemblies together through the window regulator -basically impossible to separate handle from regulator. Check for this before pulling too much. If all mechanisms are unbroken and regulator gear track has shifted, focus on re-aligning before removing. As Keiser31 said, Pot metal breaks really easy and is unrepairable. Maybe you could take some pics and include them - it'd help the guys who really know what they're doing here ( myself in particular excluded) help you out. - Good Luck - Sam

By 29 had Chrysler not shifted to chrome, even for trim components?...

Interior plating on Plymouths was nickel in the 1930s. Not sure how long but certainly into the mid-1930s and possibly until WW2. I suspect other Chrysler built makes were the same. Exterior plating went to chrome early on.

See the attached photographs. "2291" and "2293" are views of passenger side. Note that the sprocket is recessed below the face with no contact to the rail. Also note, there is a flat on the housing that retains the sprocket within the recess. The mechanism looks original. At sometime in the past, it was re-upholstered and removed with a zinc style lubricant added. But mechanically untampered. What am I missing? How do you fix this and align the sprocket with the rail?

Thanks,

Tom

post-72842-143138561318_thumb.jpg

post-72842-143138561345_thumb.jpg

post-72842-143138561368_thumb.jpg

“Note that the sprocket is recessed below the face with no contact to the rail.” The assembly looks correct. The sprocket and the rail should not touch. There is another sprocket hidden under the plate. So the rail and the sprocket both contact to a third sprocket. The common fault is that this sprocket seizes and will not turn.

Step 1 of the fix is simple. All of that zinc grease lubricant has to be removed. Then heaps of WD-40 (any penetrating oil will do)onto the shaft of the third sprocket.

Step 2 is the tricky part. Remove the winder. The shaft of the windscreen winder should be square. With a good sized adjustable spanner slowly wind the shaft back and forth until it frees. Be careful! It is very easy to bend that rail if you put too much force on it.

Laurie

tcslr..............your system on the backside is good! Your problem is with the potmetal handle/ escutcheon system on the other side. It is siezed up. Here are some pics of my '28 Chrysler windshield assembly, for reference. Note, I have included some pics of the handle side.

post-34905-143138561627_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138561631_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138561635_thumb.jpg

post-34905-14313856164_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry J. (see edit history)

I need one of those for my 30 Chrysler.

My gears are pot metal and the larger gear is in about eight pieces.

I have the whole assembly but it is in bad shape mechanicly, as far as gears go. Trashed.

I was going to just have a non operable windshield.

If anybody has an extra laying around that could be serviceable, and made to work ...... let me know.

Bill Harmatuk

chryslercj6@gmail.com