1962 Buick Special - Looking For Replacement Fuel Tank!

Guest bobbycleveland

Guest bobbycleveland

I am in the process of buying a 1961 Buick Special from a friend of mine, but the only problem is it needs a fuel tank.

I've been searching all over the internet for a solution. Can anyone direct me to a place where I can find one? Or maybe if anyone knows of where to get a replacement fuel tank for this vehicle?

I would greatly appreciate it and thank you!

Bobby

Edited by MrEarl
It's NOT a 1962, it's a 1961. I Apologize! (see edit history)

Guest Ric's62

I would think you could find one in a salvage yard that specializes in classic cars (which means it will cost you more), Memory lane in so. cal. had at least 3 62's in their yard. But that was before they moved to the Long Beach area, so i don't know about current stock. There's a big yard in Phx. Az. that also had a few of the cars. Desert Valley auto parts, big advertiser in Hemmings. They've also gotten pricey. Keep looking, you'll find one.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bobbycleveland

COMPACTBC

I am in cleveland ohio. I've searched everywhere. I've talked to 2 people who said they would search, but the chances are slim.

I am trying to find any type of replacement at the moment, it doesn't have to be from a this specific model (though that would be nice). I'm also not sure as to what fuel tanks from that era, makes and/or models would fit a 1962 buick special.

All the help is greatly appreciated. I just need to get the tank so I can remove it from it's current location, before the owner decides to take it elsewhere.

Thanks!

COMPACTBC

I am in cleveland ohio. I've searched everywhere. I've talked to 2 people who said they would search, but the chances are slim.

All the help is greatly appreciated. I just need to get the tank so I can remove it from it's current location, before the owner decides to take it elsewhere.

Thanks!

There might be options "out there" in the street rod realm of things. Gas tank vendors in Street Rodder magazine, for example. Portable outboard motor boat fuel tanks or race car fuel cells are an option too.

Might you be desiring to make us accessories to your (perceived) unauthorized reappropriation of the vehicle's location without the owner's knowledge??

Cautiously,

NTX5467

Guest bobbycleveland

NTX5467

It's completely legal, no worries. The fuel cells are a good suggestion, but that's my plan B.

Pete,

I need to get a new float and sending unit either way, the old one is done for. Could you send pics of the fuel tank you are offering? Thanks!

Please be aware that one tank doesn't fit all models!

The 61/62 Special/Skylark 2-door coupes and convertibles use the same tank. However, the 61/62 Special/Skylark 4-door and station wagons use a different tank. I learned that the hard way!

The 4-door and wagon tanks are slightly thicker and the fill neck is at a different angle.

I have a nice tank for a 4-door or wagon that would NOT fit in my '62 Skylark convertible.

Good luck,

Bob

Guest bobbycleveland

MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!

It's not a 1962, it's a 1961! I'm very sorry for the mix up.

Are these years interchangeable for the Buick Special?

• 1 year later...
Guest philipjfry
Please be aware that one tank doesn't fit all models!

The 61/62 Special/Skylark 2-door coupes and convertibles use the same tank. However, the 61/62 Special/Skylark 4-door and station wagons use a different tank. I learned that the hard way!

The 4-door and wagon tanks are slightly thicker and the fill neck is at a different angle.

I have a nice tank for a 4-door or wagon that would NOT fit in my '62 Skylark convertible.

Good luck,

Bob

I am curious as to what is different between the 4 door and 2 door version? I just pulled a tank off a 4 door 61 and one off a 2 door 62 and as far as I can tell they are identical.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this topic is over a year old so sorry in advance.  I am in the process of adapting a 1970 EL Camino gas tank to work in a 1963 Skylark hardtop coupe.  To make this work the frame rail will need to be notched out.  My car was hit in the driver rear so I have to repair that section of frame rail anyway.  If you still have the tank that would be better as I'd like to keep the car stock.  Blue_Sky_62 Do you still have the 1962 Skylark tank?  Thanks