H.P.O.F. versus Restored

Guest gossir00

West, is it also fair to say that it would depend on the quality of the restoration, provinance and also comment that in today's market, HPOF cars are more highly valued than in the past in many circles?

That said it is pretty much an individual assesment for each situation. I almost think the rarer the car itself is overall, the more highly coveted a nice fully original example would be. But that is just an opinion...

Guest gossir00

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to advise a new owner.

Let's assume the quality of the restoration would be perfect. Also the car is a Buick and not a highly coveted model nor year.

Thanks

So assuming the new owner is starting with a nice original and assuming they can live with whatever flaws exist, I would leave the car as is. If it is already a "project" then the answer is obvious - but based on your post I figure they are starting out with something more. If they paid for a nice original and value is that much of a concern it would be tough to come out ahead restoring regardless of which route is worth more, as you "pay for the car twice" - first for a quality original, and then again to restore it.

Of course, if you are a restoration shop, then the obvious advise is to restore it! ;)

Things seem a bit more confused, at least to me. Your original question said 90+% restored, and now you are saying the "quality is perfect".

I am thinking it is difficult to make a prediction without some specifics as to what the "less then 10%" is that akes the car different then 100% HPOF or restored.

John

+1 to what Restorer just said, and to that I would say suggest your friend contact an honest expert like Restorer to see the actual car and advise. Think of these points:

Cost of a good restoration has gone up over the years.

A nice original is now appreciated more than in the past.

If it is a nice original the worst thing would be to do a poor restoration or "refurbish" rather than restore. Why take a nice original driver to make, a driver? So the alternative is pricey.

Just more to consider. I would live with the car for at least a year before making that decision.

I read the question more as "We have this nice unrestored car for which we are trying to determine a value. Would it be accurate to price a 90% original car similarly to a well restored example?" We recently worked on a mid 1960's Plymouth Fury 4 door. The car would have been worth very little except for the fact that the car was indeed 90% as nice as the day it left the dealership. In that case virtually ALL the value of the vehicle was in it's originality. Unfortunately the car was involved in a crash and required considerable paint work, forever ruining its "originality".

Guest gossir00

Thanks for all the replies.

RESTORER32 has it right--this 1950 Buick Special Series 50 Four Door Sedan has all its "value" in its 90+% originality. Would I be in the ballpark if I told him the value range is $8500-$10500? I can provide more info if this is not enough.

Thanks

Rick

You're reading too much between the lines of what Jeff has said. We've only got half of the information needed to make an intelligent answer to your question. What is the condition of this 90+% original car? No appraisal of value can be made without knowing that.

Good unrestored original cars are considered desirable by most old car fans, quite a change from 20 years ago. There have been threads on this board on the subject and most voted to keep a car original if possible, rather than restore it.

To look at it another way. If you have a good original car that shows some wear but is presentable, it will have a certain value. If you have a first class shop do a restoration it may be worth more, but the added value will be just a fraction of what the job cost. In other words a good original may not be worth as much as a restored car but the difference is no where near what it would cost.

And in some cases, the unrestored car may be worth more.

To look at it another way. If you have a good original car that shows some wear but is presentable, it will have a certain value. If you have a first class shop do a restoration it may be worth more, but the added value will be just a fraction of what the job cost. In other words a good original may not be worth as much as a restored car but the difference is no where near what it would cost..

My vote for best answer...

Guest gossir00

I will post some pics however in the meantime Hemmings has a recent article on this subject. An interesting read. Author of article suggests "originial" defintion as a one day event eg the day it departed the showroom!

Guest De Soto Frank
I will post some pics however in the meantime Hemmings has a recent article on this subject. An interesting read. Author of article suggests "originial" defintion as a one day event eg the day it departed the showroom!

Umm, that sounds more like the definition of "new"...

To me, "original" means not changed from its appearance as when new... which, strictly speaking, does not take into account deterioration from age, weather, use...

I have a very nice "original" 1961 Rambler convertible with 96,000 miles on it - it is very nice and presentable. My wife even says so :D.

My buddy has an "original" 1951 Hudson Super-Six Brougham, that has barely 30,000 miles on it from new, and hasn't been on the road since 1959. It needs a total restoration for the cosmetics, and looks it. It's a solid restoreable car, but it looks pretty shabby.

Both cars are "original", but there is a deterioration factor.