Mid 20's 2 door Sedan

Guest 30Advance

Guest 30Advance

I found this car in Central Montana. I gathered all parts that I could find and here it is. What Is It? I have checked with Velie collectors and Overland but no. The last gues was a Paige. There is no brass tag on the firewall anymore. I decided to save it from the scrapper's torch, so I brought it home.

Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Dave in Montana;)

post-75373-143138525807_thumb.jpg

post-75373-143138525813_thumb.jpg

post-75373-143138525818_thumb.jpg

post-75373-143138525822_thumb.jpg

post-75373-143138525827_thumb.jpg

post-75373-143138525831_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

Based on the style of the drum headlights and the rear-hinged door, I would guess mid-Twenties Essex Coach.

Guest 30Advance

Thanks guys, I did some research and found out that this car is a 1924 or 1925 Essex Coach. I learned that the front fenders of my style were used during these years and that the 6 cylinder engine was introduced in 1924. 1926 may have had smooth front fenders by looking at different photos I found on the internet. By the Way, this parts car is available if anyone is interested.

Dave 406-860-3923

It looks like the exhaust manifold outlet is at the front of the engine. What would be the rationale for that? an early turbo?

That's a coolant delivery tube.

It looks like the exhaust manifold outlet is at the front of the engine. What would be the rationale for that? an early turbo?

The exhaust manifold is in picture #4.

Guest De Soto Frank

"Front-dump" exhausts were not uncommon back then... I believe I've seen a few circa1930 Dodge Brothers where the exhaust dumps at the front end of the manifold log and the pipe loops back under...

"Front-dump" exhausts were not uncommon back then... I believe I've seen a few circa1930 Dodge Brothers where the exhaust dumps at the front end of the manifold log and the pipe loops back under...

Yep....some late '20s and early '30s Chrysler products had them that way, mostly on the four cylinder Plymouths and the DeSoto sixes.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The serial number should be on the right rear of the frame near the cross member - possibly also on the dash. 1924 - 100001 to 177750. 1925 177751 to 337949. 1926 continues from there. 1927 starts again at 500001. The engine number is on that boss just by the water elbow. I don't have the numbers though.

The engine looks a lot like a 1924 Studebaker.

Except that the Studebaker is a lot bigger and has its manifolds on the other side.

This Essex engine was used right through to at least 1941 still with three main bearings. It was very short so restricted the possible bore sizes - max was 3 inch. It started off at 124 cubic inch (2 5/8 x 4) but was underpowered so early in the season went up to 144 (2 11/16 x 4 1/4) and by the late '30s was 3 x 5 (212 cubic inch).

• 2 years later...
I found this car in Central Montana. I gathered all parts that I could find and here it is. What Is It? I have checked with Velie collectors and Overland but no. The last gues was a Paige. There is no brass tag on the firewall anymore. I decided to save it from the scrapper's torch, so I brought it home.

Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Dave in Montana;)

Well... at least someone was thoughtful enough to place a can on the water outlet to prevent rust happening.

Early Buicks had the front dump exhaust too, for years. TexRiv_63, Look on the bright side. Your front dump exhaust helps keep a lot of heat away from your feet through floorboards in the Summer and I think you may be missing your engine's splash apron to separate the carb from the exhaust pipe, along with other reasons to have the splash aprons in place.