Riviera parts from OPG, good experience/bad experience?

Guest Kahuna28

Guest Kahuna28

Started to get a bit off topic on Rob J's thread looking for a water pump, and I didn't want to hijack so I figured I'd start a new thread... I was wondering how peoples experience with OPG and their new Riviera stuff is?? It seems a few members are having troubles, I was wondering if this is common. I have used them in the past for a different car and from what I remember they were knowledgeable and helpful, but that was a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong I still prefer to support the smaller companies, its just some items are hard to find and either not profitable enough to stock, or too expensive to produce on a small scale so at times the larger co.s are the only options.

On a side note I just installed some body mounts from Classic Buick, they were a little more money but they have always been a good company to deal with..

As many of us were, I was excited when I heard they were coming out with a Riviera catalog. After broken promises for 2 years we finally got a catalog. I know they were testing the market to gauge how much interest was there but the broken promises left a bad taste in my mouth before the catalog ever came to be.

When I was doing my chassis and drivetrain resto, I didn't buy one part from them. I looked at the catalog many times and even stepped through the order process online only to cancel the order when I saw how much the shipping was. They are the worst on shipping charges.

I've also noticed they list parts that are not correct for the Riv which didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I would get what I expected.

Unless they make some adjustments to improve these things, as long as I can find the same part somewhere else, I won't order from them. I'd rather patronize those people who have been in the business supoorting our hobby for many years.

My first purchase fom OPG was not the best experience. I ordered seat buns and front seat upholstery. The buns were fine. And a great price compared to Clarks Corvair. The seat covers were a different story. First at they told me one to two weeks for the upholstery. That turned into six weeks. And when they arrived it was shocking how bad the color was. Saddle was the intended color. They were more of a cream color. They did give me a refund. But it cost me $20 to ship the covers back. That they do not reimburse. That pisses me off. It cost me $20 to buy and inferior product and send it back. Long story short. Proceed with caution when dealing with OPG.

Guest REX STALLION

I bought a rear package shelf, when it came, it looked nothing like the original.I seriously doubt I will give them any more business . On the other hand,I have received great products/service from CARS , Clarkes, and Classic Buicks .Fool me once...

Guest Kahuna28

I can't understand treating your customers like that. You'd think they would be bending over to welcome the (new) Riviera crowd. All drug dealers know, you treat them right in the beginning and they will come back for years...;)

After I thought about it, when I used them in the past I was living in SoCal and would go to their showroom to buy things, I didn't deal with shipping...

There is no excuse for offering an inferior product, especially to a Riviera owner:D

Thanx for the input.

After years of reading on other boards not so flattering opinions of OPG, I look through the their catalog with conflicted feelings.

On one hand I look at the catalog and think about how it appears to be a first rate operation. Nice catalog, been in business since 1982. How could they possibly become what they appear to be and still be in business if all the stories of back orders, and slow shipping are to be believed?

On the other I want to order to support them in their providing parts for our Rivieras.

I just don't know.

Of course, I heard bad things about CARS Buick parts.

But have had nothing but the best experiences with them.

:confused:

Guest REX STALLION

Of course, I heard bad things about CARS Buick parts.

But have had nothing but the best experiences with them.

:confused:

Yup,CARS has been good to me as well:D

Had both with CARS, I've seen pretty much just shopped the 3 major suppliers and found the best price and what I feel reputation. I'm about to start buying again and Rubbing the Right Way has been added to the list since I need a few rubber parts.

I had good luck with OPGI for my '67 Skylark and would gladdly give them a chance for some Riviera items but I'm pretty loyal to Clarks and Kanter. Less so for CARS and Classic Buick Parts.

When I got my catalog , it was worse than finding out santa wasn't for real, what a bummer !!! And like has been said in previous posts they offer nothing that can't be had at other well weathered buick parts retailers . I have found out while doing my frame off resto that there is no such thing as one stop shopping when building a 1st gen Riviera. You get to know LOTS of people!!!!

When I got my catalog , it was worse than finding out santa wasn't for real, what a bummer !!! And like has been said in previous posts they offer nothing that can't be had at other well weathered buick parts retailers . I have found out while doing my frame off resto that there is no such thing as one stop shopping when building a 1st gen Riviera. You get to know LOTS of people!!!!

Very well put. Thats sums it up better than anything!

Credit where its due, I did see they have repro seat covers for the 66 Riv. I haven't seen those offered anywhere else.

Whether you like OPGI or not, more suppliers to choose from is ultimately good for all of us. It broadens the product offering and typically pressurizes the suppliers to be price competitive. In my view, suppliers like Clark's, Kanter and CARS seem to have an edge when it comes to parts quality, service and tech help. Suppliers like OPGI tend to have a broader selection of parts, aggressive pricing but the less on service (aside from shipping expertise). The latest OPGI catalog is overpopulated, in my opinion, with multi-make stuff and generic GM parts. But, that's there chosen position. You can also bet that all the major suppliers (OPGI, Year One, even Clark's) source parts from a few limited manufacturers. It seems that the OPGI business strategy is to: define a car model with a significant following and margin potential, develop a relationship with manufacturers that already serve that car model, then outpace the smaller suppliers with heavy direct marketing, volume driven pricing and broader distribution. OPGI is really more of a marketing driven company. We all have a sentimental feeling about Clark's, but their business is about to get a lot tougher. I don't know about you guys, but I shop at The Home Depot AND the local Mom and Pop hardware store. It's the same dynamic here. Sometimes I go to the boutique, sometimes the bog box store. Ultimately, as long as I have a choice, it's all good. PRL

Guest unbeleve

Thanks for pointing me towards Kanter Auto. I've owned my '64 Rivvy for about 3 months and have only been looking at OPGI website and catalogue. Good to know we have other options as I like to shop around before making a decision. Can you guys list any other companies you recommend doing businesss with?

Unbelieve (for lack of a given name)

The best restoration $$$ you can spend if for a membership in the Riviera Owners Assn.

In the member's only section of their website is a list of many parts suppiers for Rivieras. Besides this kind of information, there are all sorts of technical articles, and their magazine allows you glimpses of the cars of other members and a big classified section with leads to parts, both new and used.

www.rivowners.org

Guest unbeleve
Unbelieve (for lack of a given name)

The best restoration $$$ you can spend if for a membership in the Riviera Owners Assn.

www.rivowners.org

Thanks...I am now a member...looking forward to my membership package to arrive in 10 days.

OK Riviera People: I am terribly disappointed about the OPG. I tore the package tray out of the 64 Riv I'm building and I thought it would be great getting one from OPG for $50. Now that I find that their product isn't that happy lots of bells and whistles go off.

I got an upholstery kit from Clark's and the only problem I had with them is that his ol' lady isn't that knowledgeable and I didn't feel like arguing with her. The products were actually better than oem. As some know oem vinyl in a standard 64 and 65 Riv is pretty cheezy and Clark's is excellent! I just wish they would post a price in the catalog by the description rather than on a separate sheet. Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun
mis spelling (see edit history)

Mitch,

Look at it from Calvin's view point. He needs to raise prices to meet expenses just like every other business. It's probably a lot more expensive to put out a new catalog with the same products in it just because prices change; much cheaper to keep the catalog and print a separate price sheet. Take a look at the vendor's catalogs at a jobbers warehouse sometime. Same old catalogs, but new price lists. Calvin is probably doing what he can to keep prices down.

Ed

• 9 months later...

I have a 71 riviera and looking for the weather striping where would the best place to go

OPG has a kit for 360. some places don't sell the weather strip

As far as opgi,I have complained before but the latest is that they wont send me a check for a 74 dollar credit due to them sending me an incorrectly advertised part(crap quality also) because I no longer have the visa card I used for the purchase.Store credit only and a manager wont call me back...again.Really makes me want to spend more money with them?!

also as previously stated-watch out for metro brand weatherstrip,flimsey fragile junk,and not just my opinion.

Mark

As far as opgi,I have complained before but the latest is that they wont send me a check for a 74 dollar credit due to them sending me an incorrectly advertised part(crap quality also) because I no longer have the visa card I used for the purchase.Store credit only and a manager wont call me back...again.Really makes me want to spend more money with them?!

also as previously stated-watch out for metro brand weatherstrip,flimsey fragile junk,and not just my opinion.

Mark

LOL! I just pointed him to Metro in another thread.

They are local to me, and I have always been happy with what they sell.

Never thought anything was cheap and flimsy. It's all worked very well for me over the years.