Who is the Creator/Father of the Reatta?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

I was just wondering (cause I dont know) who is the MAIN guy who

caused the Reatta to come to fruition?

Or...was it a team effort at Buick and one really cant say that any one individual had a MAJOR part in it's creation?

Kit

I would like to direct you to the Buick Bugle that was published in December of 2008 titled "Bringing the GM 33 to Life"by Nancy Eaton and Introducing the Buick Reatta by Barney Eaton. These articles were well written by Barney and Nancy and they are full of history of the Reatta. Carole Madsen might still have a copy if you would contact her. Her contact information is in the Reatta Newsletter.

Also in that same month the Design and Engineering and the Development of the Reatta was discussed in an article written by Helen Hutchings.

Lots of good info

Chuck Kerls

Edited by Booreatta
content (see edit history)

According to the article, the fellow who penned the design was David McIntosh. The story of how the Reatta came about is kinda interesting, as it bypassed a lot of the normal GM product design steps. And probably stayed a lot purer to the original concept as a result.

Barney or anyone: I don't see any copyright notices in the Bugle. Would it ruffle feathers if someone were to scan the Reatta articles?

wws944,

You weren't around the 1st time we "pulled that stunt" (with the service manual), but ruffle feathers? :eek: It wouldn't surprise me if a few peacocks started cawing like crows and struting like ostriches during mating season. Hopefully, GM's legal team has mellowed a bit over the years.

wws944,

You weren't around the 1st time we "pulled that stunt" (with the service manual), but ruffle feathers? :eek: It wouldn't surprise me if a few peacocks started cawing like crows and struting like ostriches during mating season. Hopefully, GM's legal team has mellowed a bit over the years.

I can well imagine! But the Bugle is a BCA publication. GM has nothing to do with it.

I just talked to Carole Madsen who does the Reatta Wear stuff for the club and she has 4 copies of the December Buick Bugle left if some one is wanting one. They are $10.00 and her phone number is 708-349-8878. It is first come first served. If you don't have one I think I would get one while you can.

Chuck Kerls

Guest rendrag

I was an employe of GM/Buick Product engineering in the time frame that the Reatta was conceived and built. Lloyd Reuss was Buick General mamager and the motivating force behind the Reatta. He and Ed Mertz, Buick Chief Engineer, sold the comcept to GM management. They put together a small group of development engineers to design and bring the Reatta into production. In order to keep costs low it was edicted thatb 70% of the Reatta parts come from the Rivera.

Bob Gardner RD #881

Not sure but I'm thinking there must have been a movie titled "Reata" with Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor. Probably well before my time, and I am feeling lazy so don't care to google it. If my guess is right, is there a pewter Reatta model as a prize?

Edit: I'm about to have twin Reattae, but I guess they would both have the same father anyway. Move along, nothing to see here.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Not sure but I'm thinking there must have been a movie titled "Reata" with Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor. Probably well before my time, and I am feeling lazy so don't care to google it. If my guess is right, is there a pewter Reatta model as a prize?

Edit: I'm about to have twin Reattae, but I guess they would both have the same father anyway. Move along, nothing to see here.

KDirk

I believe the ranch that was in the movie "Giant" which starred Rock Hudson,Elizebeth Taylor, and James Dean [his last movie as he died shotly after production, but befor realease] was named "Riata"

Are you buying that one in Colorado?

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Dave,

To answer your question, I am buying the 88 being sold by Lisa Courtney here on the forum. Should have the deal done next weekend, as arrangements are in place. Just need to meet up.

It's going to be a long week.

KDirk