Ethanol content in petrol

gundog99

The ethanol content in petrol set to rise from 5% to 10% in 2013 in the <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:country-region w:st=</st1:country-region>UK </ST1:p.We have been warned that the following are not recommended for use with the new fuel.

Zinc and galvanised materials,

Brass

Copper

Lead/tin coated steel

Aluminium (may be an issue for E100

Buna-N (seals only),Neoprene (seals only),Urethane rubber,Acrylonitrile-butadiene hoses, and Polybutene teephthalate

Polyurethane,poluretha

Polymers containing alcohol groups (such as alcohol based pipe dope)

Nylon 66

Fibreglass-reinforced polyester and epoxy resins

Shellac Polyurethane

Nylon 66

Shellac

Polyurethane

Polymers containing alcohol groups (such as alcohol based pipe dope)

Nylon 66

Shellac

<ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Cork</st1:City></ST1:p

I understand in the <ST1:p<st1:country-region w:st="on">USA,</st1:country-region></ST1:p the ethanol content is about 10 %. What problems have been encountered in pre 1930 vehicles?

Edited by gundog99 (see edit history)

Yes, we've been 10% by volume in most states by federal mandate for quite a few years - biggest boondoggle ever foisted off on us in my opinion.

Primary issues were rubber parts, fuel pump diaphrams and flex gas lines. All our rebuilders and suppliers have changed over years ago so it's no longer much of a problem. Increased propensity for vapor locking has been noted by many. Shellacing of cork fuel gauge floats and the like is a problem but other coatings are available. Some of the early gas tank liner coatings presented some problems that's also well behind us now.

Problems with tin/lead and galvanizing is likely to only be a problem if your gasoline contains much water. Never seen or heard of any significant problems with copper or brass.

Hope this helps you. I guess you can also prepare yourself for decreased gasoline mileage and higher costs. I'm sure others will have many more observations but I've been using the damn crap in my 34 Packard for a decade or however long it's been required and those are my observations.

Some users report a 10% increase in fuel consumption in other words lower mileage. So they could leave the alcohol out, charge more for the gas and it would come to the same thing.

That is a possible outcome for a carburated car, particularly if it isn't properly tuned to use E10 fuels. Modern, fuel-injected cars usually see a 2-3% drop in gas mileage due to the lower energy content in ethanol.

There are areas in the U.S. Mid-West that have had nothing but 10% ethanol to burn since about 1979. Strangely the complaints about ethanol and adjusting to it (which is necessary because it does cause problems in antique cars) don't come from there. In other words it's an issue, but not the end of the world (yet).:)

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

Guest billybird

I just got my "Hagerty" magazine a couple days ago. In an arcticle entitled Last Gas, the caption before the arcticle reads THE EPA OK'S e15 USE. The caption further states: Harmful to the environment, a burden on taxpayers and bad news anyone who operates a vehicle - the government plows ahead with ethanol. My words = we may be in for even worse fuel.

Driveability issues do arise with older vehicles due to the lower caloric content of the ethanol. This issue is more of a problem with vehicles in the 1950's and 1960's with somewhat higher compression than pre-1930 vehicles. The newer vehicles came with a more efficient state of "tune", thus lowering the energy content upset them more.

Fuel economy will suffer. By the time one recalibrates the carburetor to relieve the driveability issues, fuel economy will suffer by 8~10 percent on carbureted vehicles.

Interestingly (at least to me), this percentage is even greater on fuel injected vehicles which rely on oxygen sensors to control the mixture. Since the ethanol contains oxygen, the O2 sensor is confused, and calls for more fuel. Fuel economy losses of 15~20 percent are not uncommon on late 1980's and 1990's fuel injected vehicles. The good news (if there can be good news from a 15~20 percent loss in fuel economy) is that since the engine now uses more fuel; these vehicles actually run better. Newer fuel injection systems (post-2000) and "flex-fuel" systems seem to handle the ethanol somewhat more efficiently, at least on mileage losses.

As was previously posted, rubber and neopreme components will give issues.

As far as damage to aluminum, zinc, etc.; this would be a long-term issue (probably due to water absorbed by the ethanol). The floors of carburetors tend to more quickly (over years, rather than decades) have electrolysis holes form.

And while I have not personally seen the damage, many of the boat people scream about deterioration of fuel tanks.

All in all; not one of the wiser moves by our government (my opinion, others may differ).

As far as carburetor calibrations are concerned, we suggest enrichening the mixture in all calibrated circuits (idle, off-idle, main, and power) IF DRIVEABILITY ISSUES ARISE.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

At our last local AACA Region meeting, we had a guest speaker who is known for radiator and coolant work. He said that the new E10 gas will make my Buick straight eights run hotter. I don't seem to understand the mechanism or reason if this is true.

Any ideas?

Joe

Since ethanol has less energy than gasoline, it will run somewhat leaner. Leaner engines tend to run somewhat hotter. This is part of the driveability issues I previously mentioned. If one recalibrates the carburetor to compensate for the ethanol, the engine will not run hotter.

Jon.

Joe, if it runs great, don't "fix it" until you have problems!

If you do have problems, then you would need to enrich the mixture. This is done by resizing the idle tubes, and either resizing the main jets or using a thinner metering rod for the main circuit.

Jon.