Can You tell me what Dodge Brothers this car is?

Guest snaganddrag

Guest snaganddrag

I just purchased this at a local auction as it just caught my attention. No one else seemed to want it and I like old cars. I just can not tell what this is and can't find a car picture that match on the internet. It does have a Dodge Brothers radiator and the engine matches. I am being told by the seller it is a '24 Dodge Brothers something....Also what pieces am I missing for the rear if any! Thanks for any help at all, as I am lost and was a Ford only guy, now I am being cross trained......:)

get-attachment.aspx?uid=26675061&folder=NewMail&partId=1

Guest snaganddrag

I agree, with the ford T, it has a deffinate DB Grille/Radiator trim and a DB 4 cyl engine/gauges/interior set up. The fender styling and no rear sheet metal is throwing me off. Let's see what the next idea is......Thanks fsnooks!

Guest snaganddrag

Also on the radiator trim the emblem (just below the filler neck) is just a large D&B intewtwined, it does not have the star with Dodge Brothers written over it. It has the Dodge Brothers speedometer where the numbers roll around, not the needle move over the number style (todays style) Just wanted to throw that out there! Also any idea on s/n location too see if that does anything for me? Thanks again!

Guest mopar 69

I did alittle looking in to this and its kind of looking like a dodge 116 speedster but with t model fenders, look at the 24 dodge 116 speedster they are alike but fenders all wrong

Also on the radiator trim the emblem (just below the filler neck) is just a large D&B intewtwined, it does not have the star with Dodge Brothers written over it. It has the Dodge Brothers speedometer where the numbers roll around, not the needle move over the number style (todays style) Just wanted to throw that out there! Also any idea on s/n location too see if that does anything for me? Thanks again!

Does the emblem look like this??

post-37352-143138458222_thumb.jpg

Guest snaganddrag

Let's see what these pics can tell us! Also I did find what appeared to be a "S34078" stamped on the firewall, the 3 could maybe be a "2".

post-73751-143138458751_thumb.jpg

post-73751-143138458757_thumb.jpg

post-73751-143138458764_thumb.jpg

post-73751-143138458768_thumb.jpg

post-73751-143138458773_thumb.jpg

post-73751-143138458778_thumb.jpg

post-73751-143138458783_thumb.jpg

post-73751-143138458789_thumb.jpg

post-73751-143138458794_thumb.jpg

post-73751-1431384588_thumb.jpg

Guest snaganddrag

I agree on the emblem, didn't know if maybe during a certain time frame maybe they used a different emblem on the grille/rad cover. Thanks for everybody's help!

I think I see a 1920 casting date on the left side of the engine block. The engine, tranny, and frame are 22 or earlier as is the radiator shell. The emblem is a spare tire bracket emblem. I think the dash is 24ish. There should be a serial number on the crossmember approximately where the passengers heels would be. That will tell you the year. The rest looks to be handmade into a speedster. Oh, and it is all junk and I would be happy to have some of my buddies come haul it all away for you! Well, truthfully it is pretty cool looking. Would be a great thing to rebuild as it is obviously a really old treasure built many years ago.

Dash appears to be Commercial Car (truck) as evidenced by the rectangular (rust) spot on right side,over which there was a warning plaque (overspeeding-25mph & over weight details).I'm pretty new to DB but I believe these plaques were only on trucks.I have a '27 3/4 ton (with plaque).

Guest snaganddrag

I just can't seem to find the serial number on the cross member. Is it on the one that goes over the tranny or the next one back, and on top, front,bottom? Thanks a lot guys/gals for all the input! Yes I have had several people try to buy this thing since it has been brought back out of hidding....:) Just not sure I want to part with it as I don love old junk as my wife says!:D

Guest Backyardmechanic

look at the next cross over back the # will be on top. a gussmation from the engine # would set the date at 1920 as dave has stated.The wheel base should be 114 inch if the wheel base is 116 then look on frame just ahead of the front rear spring bracket on the right side (pass side.)

Vern

Guest snaganddrag

My wheel base is 112.5" center to center of the axles, or 115" outside to outside of the hub, which wheel base would you consider that?

Guest mopar 69

lookat motorcar portfolio .com and scroll down to the 24 dodge series 116 its alot like yours even down to the seats, just diffrent fenders, looks like a speedster

Guest snaganddrag

The 116 series rear spring set up in not like mine, nor is the motor cover, mine doesn't have the fins stamped in there. But the design is relatively close. More and more I look my body/frame/dash set up is a lot more like the 20ish commercialcar/truck set up that has been converted into a speedster I feel like, as I found the fuel tank saddles and a luggage rack similarity in the rotted pile of wood!

Guest snaganddrag

I finally found it. It is I belive to be "504575", however the 0 could be an 3,0,or 8. It has a lot of pitting around the second digit. Thanks for all your help!

It is for sure a Dodge Brother car, i have one of its kind and i am looking for the spares like oil pump assy, water pump, Main & connecting bearings etc, Where is this car located let me know.

I see you found the numbers where I said they were, on the crossmember at the passengers heels. They did not put them on the frame rail until 1923 that I am aware of. My 23 has it in both places. My 22 is only on the crossmember. I think Bob S. is right on as to what the car was originally.

Guest snaganddrag

thanks bob s. For the pics. My dash doesn't match the one in that pic. Our wheels and steering wheel do match though. It appears to have a cover or another piece at the front door jamb as mine is almost straight down. Thanks again for all your great and valuable input and pics.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Study ing the pictures on post 12 I klnowest a casting date 5-27-20 on the block l beleive this started out as a graham brothers due to the S34078 stamp on the cowl under the hood wish would be the body number and the holes on the dash for large ID plate used for the trucks.

Vern

Guest snaganddrag

So what does the body # represent? And yes it is a 5-27-20 cast # on block and 7-?-20 on head (I forgot day) Is there anyway of crossing the body #? There again thanks guys/gals as you help to unravel the mystery!

Guest Backyardmechanic

as for the body this is not a Dodge Brothers factory built body.As it is abody built with many different years of parts.The dash board is later at lease 1924 and maybe 1926 as i see what is left of a white face oil gage and has a hart shape for the gage area.the frame is from your fine of the numbers is 1920 the engine has a casting number 5-27-20 (may 2 1920) witch would be about right engine to the frame.Wire wheels 1918-1919 steering wheel is an dealers add on or after market.The finders are not factory either the cowl may or maynot be factory hard to tell from pictures.

The frame should be 114 inch center to center from rear hub to front spindle.The rad shell should be black.This is a speedster built by some handy man that had bunch of parts .

After study the first picture you posted of the car,the running board splash aprons are not factory as the splash aprons would be concave not square to the frame also the cowl looks to be home made too looks to be much lower then facrory cowl.

Vern

Edited by Backyardmechanic (see edit history)

Guest snaganddrag

So where can i go to get a build sheet for this vehicle since we found its identity. And is there any info that the "graham brothers" body number on firewall can tell me? And I think I am going to go the path of finding original 20ish fenders,splash guards,aprons and making a speedster with the correct fenders for now. Just a way to get this car back in shape and going again, with a close to right look with the right fenders. Does anybody know where any extras are lying around I could get "out of the way" ? ....:) Let now if anybody has FENDERS OR ETC. as I will start where ever I can. I would like to know if there is any places that sell parts for these things. Thanks!

Guest Backyardmechanic

If you are looking for a factory built sheet There's not any.As i have pointed out in my last post this speedster was built by some one that had many Dodge brothers parts from many years.If it was mine I'd would restore(fix it up) with the finders that are on it.because you can have many $$$ in it and it would'nt be of any antique value.As this car could've been built any time in the pass,even a few years ago.I have a friend from NC. that is builting one with his 16 year old son as a father/son project to get the "old car fire"(interest) started in his son.You have a cool ride when you get it back on the road that's for sure.

Vern