Power antenna fix..... free

Barney Eaton

I posted the note below on the Reatta page several weeks ago. Response has been slow and I need dead antennas to fix. I know that other GM cars used the round plastic line and when it breaks, the antenna motor continues to run and the mast will not go up or down.

I am extending the free fix to you on the Buick general discussion, see conditions below.

Free antenna fix<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->There is another recent post about antenna repair and it was noted that the plastic line part is getting hard to find and expensive.

I have been in contact with other Reatta owners and some have shared their ideas on repair and are sending me what they think will work.

I am willing to repair your antenna at no cost, under the following conditions.

(1) you are not reselling them.

(2) you understand the fix may not last and you must report if it fails

(3) You must pay shipping both ways.

(4) I am only replacing the plastic line. The mast cannot be bent or damaged

The units will be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated, but no other internal parts can be knowingly bad. It is very important that the mast is not bent as those are not available.

Contact me if you want to be part of the test. (Barney@texas.net)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I had seen your offer on the Reatta site and considered asking if you would extend the offer to my 93 Rivi as it is same as Reatta. So great, count on one from me.

And uhhh, does this apply to 1954 Buick antennas also. I have one that works but the line is too short. Weed wacker line won't work.

Great offer Barney. You da man, you da BuickMan. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Send me some broken antenna...... I have done 3 for the Reatta people but I need more units out there to get data on the fix. I have 3 choices that work, it comes down to which ones are better (long run) than the others.

Guest 75RivGS

The pwr antenna on my 68 Cat quit working last week. After disassembly of the motor it turned out the cable broke. Have been looking for spare parts but had no luck finding a replacement for the mast with attached cable.

Yesterday I was at a store (some sort of Home Depot) for something different when I noticed a plastic/nylon spring cable (don't know the English word for it: it is used to pull electric wiring through tubes at home). I estimated that the spring cable had probably the same diameter as the broken antenna cable; for $3 I took it with me; if it didn-t had the same diameter I at least had an easy/cheap tool to be used where its meant for.

At home it turned out it matched exactly: so disassembled the antenna mast and replaced the cable in the tip of the antenna (used a little bit of heat to get the old one out and the new one in)

Lubed the gearing, adjusted the power on the cable (68 chassis manual was a great help), bench tested it: it works like a charm again.

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

Another potential solution to fixing the broken plastic part. I will look locally for availabity.

I am a little supprised that the part you purchased was flexable enough to wrap around the spool.

Let us know how well it does over time.

Guest 75RivGS

This is the spring cable I bought and used:

23022011089.jpg

A few more photos (unfortunately I didn't took pictures of the whole process):

68 Cat pwr antenna pictures by Harry-Clamshell - Photobucket

It is now on the car again and worked at least 20 times up and down without a problem.

I have the feeling (no more than that) that the pressure plate needed a bit more tension to get the needed 15lbs. (see Chassis manual)

I do not remember seeing that type of wire puller at the home stores. I checked my local Home Depot this weekend and all they had were rigid fiberglass rods. The shortest one piece unit was about $9.00 and the longer ones screwed together and were more expensive.

These would never bend around the spool and the body was about .200 (5.5mm) much to large.

Rob, thanks but before doing that, send me the name and address (contact information) for the manufacturer. An email or web page would work fine. If they do not have the part available in the US, then I would need to rely on you to send me parts and that would be asking too much.

Guest 75RivGS

Was thinking: another source could be a string trimmer (hopefully the correct word; for mowing grass :confused:).

Package is on its way, Barney

It's called a nylon snake. They're made by a large number of manufacturers (Greenlee as one). If you go to an electrical supply house they can sell it to you without the case which will be significantly less expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob the wiring snake arrived today (shipped 2/28) it looks like it will work.

It may be a couple of weeks before I can try it as we will have guest for the next two weeks.

Thank for sending it and I certainly owe you one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 75RivGS

Hope it will work out Barney. Last weekend I took out the non working pwr antenna from the 75 Riviera. Although a bit more difficult to disassemble (drilling out 'rivets') it turned out to be a broken cable as well. Changed that one also and it is working again. Will post photos later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Several months have past since posting this about antenna. I have since worked on a 1976 Buick power antenna and it is much different (picture below)

I am posting a picture of the later design GM power antenna, it has a black plastic housing and those are much easier to repair.

Does anyone know when GM changed the design, I know the plastic housing was in use by 1985 and probably earlier. The picture with the two antenna was intended to show there is a difference that appeared in 1991 when the style and location of the black coax antenna lead changed.

Finally, I have about two dozen antenna in service with the steel cable and with GM discontinuing the plastic, it appears to be a very good solution.

If you have a power antenna that looks like the black plastic version, I am prepared to offer repair service. The price is $70 including return shipping. Please contact me before shipping anything.

post-30596-143138706609_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138706611_thumb.jpg

If you are referring to the factory replacement, here is a link to one on Ebay

81-84-87 BUICK REGAL GRAND NATIONAL CUTLASS 442 POWER ANTENNA REPAIR KIT NOS GM | eBay

If you are asking about the steel cable I use as a replacement, some of the Home Depot, Lowe's, Tractor supply carry it in bulk.

round steel cable with a plastic coating (not sure it is vinyl) The steel cable is 3/32 (.0937) which is small enough to fit into the top mast section. The vinyl coating protects the other antenna parts from the wear that the steel cable might cause .

To do your own, you must have a torch that gets hot enough to allow you to silver solder.

Some GM power antenna did use a flat plastic strip with holes in it. I don't have a solution for that antenna.

Guest rsd9699

Thank you Sir.

If anyone has a source of the older power antennas plastic cable - would you please post it for all of us to enjoy.

Thanks

Ron