Wheel bolts marked "Rear"

Rosiesdad

Guest Jim_Edwards

I can't shed any light on the subject, but it will be interesting to see what kind of response comes forth. Various GM divisions in the '50s had some fairly weird notions about wheel bolts, not the least of which was the use of left hand thread bolts on one side of the car and right hand thread on the other because of predominate wheel rotation. They even managed to produce some cars with such different drums on the front than on the back the wheels used on the rear wheels would not work on the front, but the front wheels would work on the rear. I think there was an Idiot loose in the engineering department....:)

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

The Idiot must have been a cherished, long-time employee. Remember the early Corvair, the Vega and, recently, the Aztec? Does GM have no mandatory retirement age or is the Idiot somehow exempt?

Guest Rob McDonald

Chrysler Corp used different left- and right-side lugs nuts in the '50s and '60s but I don't think that GM or Ford followed suit. I can say that all the lug bolts on my '57 Buick are the same.

BARNEY, I like Corvairs and they really are great to drive. However, the half-baked engineering of the first ones caused General Motors (and the whole auto industry) enormous grief because it dragged the US government into the design business. Vegas were fun too and really good looking but, oh, what a lousy engine.

Aztecs are probably decent cars because they undoubtedly shared a platform with most of GM's car rental fleet. But how that styling nightmare escaped into the real world is beyond comprehension.

Guest Jim_Edwards
is it marked rear or just with an R

meaning right side

and left side

they used to right hnd thread bolts and left hand thread bolts for the opisite sides

Greg

Close definition but not 100% correct. The "R" indicated right hand bolt threads and the "L" indicated left hand bolt threads.

Only becomes a major problem when you forget the Left hand threads are there and muster 500 Gorilla power on a cheater bar attempting to remove the nuts in the wrong direction as I once did, resulting in twisting off the bolt which cannot be replaced these days! Of course the left hand thread bolts/nuts being on the right hand side of the car and the right thread bolts and nuts being on the left side of the car doesn't help a great deal.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
The Idiot must have been a cherished, long-time employee. Remember the early Corvair, the Vega and, recently, the Aztec? Does GM have no mandatory retirement age or is the Idiot somehow exempt?

I think there must be a secret "Idiots Union" in Detroit which prevents any of them from being terminated for just being an Idiot.:D

I realize it's a different decade, but on my '60 Electra, the ones that are marked "R" are a little shorter and belong in the rear. The longer front bolts I think are because of the aluminum drums. I do know for a fact that if you switch the bolts, the longer front bolts will hit that horizontal bar that goes between brake shoes - part of the emergency brake action.

Joel

I Have a 63 corvair spyder turbo charged, and a 75 vega cosworth dual overhead cams 16 vale 4 cly, both excellent cars. way ahead of there time. Bill WEB 38

The only cars that I know that actually use wheel bolts in that era are European cars such as VW/Porsche. My 62 Pontiac has wheel studs ( Wheel Lugs ) marked L or R and the Lug Nuts thread according to which side they belong to.

Don;)