PreWar Mercedes Benz

alsancle

Bonham's Stuttgart auction is going on now. The 1934 500K with factory upgraded 540K engine Special Roadster for charity went for only $4.221M despite a pre-auction estimate up to almost $8M. Can't really call it a bargain, but well short of expectations, especially for a charity car.

The 1935 500K Cabriolet by Mulliner went for $983K. Sure, right-hand drive, and non-Sindelfingen body, but seems well-bought to me. It just met the low end of the pre-auction estimate.

The 1936 540K Cab A sold for about $3.08M.

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

That may be a new record for a 500k Special Roadster "Short Tail" to my knowledge. The 8 million estimate was to get the 4 million buyer. 3.08 is a new high water mark for a Cab A. The Mulliner price is more than double what it sold for 10 years ago but does seem like a bargain in the context of the other sales.

I'll second the motion that something is off on the wheels and front end. Front fenders don't look right either. The dead nuts replicas with original chassis were a million not too long ago.

I just had a chance to look at the pictures on a real computer (instead of my phone). Very well done in the big scheme when talking about replicas but not a million dollar one in a million years.

I just had a chance to look at the pictures on a real computer (instead of my phone). Very well done in the big scheme when talking about replicas but not a million dollar one in a million years.

Agreed, yet that's what I thought about the price the current seller paid 3 years ago.

That may be a new record for a 500k Special Roadster "Short Tail" to my knowledge. The 8 million estimate was to get the 4 million buyer. 3.08 is a new high water mark for a Cab A. The Mulliner price is more than double what it sold for 10 years ago but does seem like a bargain in the context of the other sales.

Good point. The "low door" roadster that the German gov't confiscated after the 2011 sale was $3.8M, and it was a much better looking car, imo. The other two cars both doubled their previous sales in 2003 (Mulliner) and 2007 (Cab A).

An interesting note that I don't recall the auction catalog playing up -- I believe the roadster (105136) is the earliest surviving 500K, other than a "pre-series" Tourenwagen noted in Melin's book.

I can't decide if I like the 500k Cab A better or the first series 540k Cab A more. Anyways, 3.05 million is a record for one of these. The paperwork is interesting but I would get rid of the two-tone - even if it has been that way for 70 plus years. I know there are at least two these 500k Cab A's with factory 540k engines floating around that were built.

post-31305-143142614567_thumb.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

I can't decide if I like the 500k Cab A better or the first series 540k Cab A more. Anyways, 3.05 million is a record for one of these. The paperwork is interesting but I would get rid of the two-tone - even if it has been that way for 70 plus years. I know there are at least two these 500k Cab A's with factory 540k engines floating around that were built.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]258527[/ATTACH]

If 2-tone, lose the bonnet strap and the Saoutchik slant?

post-85498-143142620871_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Goring's car now advertised on YouTube http://youtu.be/67D6APVfKGA I guess they aren't consigning it to a major auction because they're still restoring it. The time to buy it would be now and turn it over to a restorer more familiar with these cars.

No pre-war supercharged Mercedes at the Concours of America last week. Very surprising. During a 3557-mile journey stopping at five auto museums, three classic dealers and one concours, the only ones I saw were the two at Kemp Museum in St Louis and mine. The Spezial-Roadster at Kemp has a very similar background as mine - both started as Cab B's. The Kemp car was beautiful, but the closer I looked the more I saw that wasn't quite correct. The assistant curator was extremely nice, and admitted that a few things on the car were done to Kemp's taste rather than as original.

Wow - I wish I had been at the German show Roadster36 attended!

My body fabricator showed me a photo of the front end of the Nazi Spezial-Roadster. It was clear that the fender valances were way off - the right side was wider than the left side. His comment was essentially that the original cars were not nearly as perfect as his work. Of course, he has almost unlimited time to perfect one car at a time (and someone is on the hook to pay for it). He also showed me photos of award-winning restored cars and pointed out various panels that were slightly off - too high, or an edge was sharp and should have been doubled under. He has spent 30 years with these cars, with plenty of access to original cars. I'd like to think each body he builds is more perfect than the previous one, but I have a feeling they've all been perfect from the word go. He says his age is such that this is the last one he will build because it is too time-consuming. He will focus on short-term projects.

My body fabricator showed me a photo of the front end of the Nazi Spezial-Roadster. It was clear that the fender valances were way off - the right side was wider than the left side. His comment was essentially that the original cars were not nearly as perfect as his work. Of course, he has almost unlimited time to perfect one car at a time (and someone is on the hook to pay for it). He also showed me photos of award-winning restored cars and pointed out various panels that were slightly off - too high, or an edge was sharp and should have been doubled under. .

These are hand built cars, they arent meant to be perfect with 0.001 mm tolerance.

These are hand built cars, they arent meant to be perfect with 0.001 mm tolerance.

I did not say anything about 0.001 mm tolerance. I said they were way off from a photo of the front end. To be that obvious in a photo taken 10 feet away from the car we aren't talking about 0.001mm. They are off the better part of a half inch. And you missed my point that this fabricator is taking all the time he needs to hand build a better body than Sindelfingen could afford to take. Hand built when the company is paying you is one thing; hand built when the client is paying is different. ;)

I can tell you that on at least one Cab A the left door was 1 inch longer than the right. I know because we tried putting the wrong window in. These were hand built cars and the tolerances were probably more like one inch on the body parts.

A.J. every now and then you see an article on some well known coachbuilt cars & they reference fitment issues like that with handbuilt cars, it is always interesting. Of course today if anyone of us were involved in a project like Craig's we would want it as precise as can be.

Craig - sounds like patience has really paid off, seems to me you were looking at MB powertrain options some time ago, did not reallize chassis came with powertrain which is a huge plus, obviously! My guess is your builder has more time in this than he will ever accurately bill you for - but he has probably calculated that into the hourly rate... :D

Mercedes-Benz will bring the fully restored 1938 540K Streamliner to the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Alongside the 540K will be the surviving trio of 1914 Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix cars.

That will be fun to see.

Actually, with the commission, $1.54M. At first it looked like it was going to sell for under $900K, but finally the bidding kicked in. I wasnt there last night for the Tourer. Last time I looked bidding on the Cab A was at $3.2M with reserve not met. Will check later after auction ends but I dont know if they will leave the high bid posted.

Best M-B imo at Pebble were a Cab A and a stunning 770 owned by General Lyons. I understand he gets quite rankled when he doesnt win. The car was done by Randy Ema who was there showing it for the old man. I didnt stay for the awards. Some great Fernandez and Darrin cars. Awesome display of Ferrari race cars, even for someone like me who doesnt know squat about racing.