PreWar Mercedes Benz

alsancle

OK I think I got it straight which one is the fake Saddam Hussein/ex-King Ghazi Mercedes 500K, the one that showed up at the St. James concours in London in 2013. Now the question is when will the real one reappear?

But now off on another expeditiion (on the net only, not real traveling) , lke to know on ex-King Farouk 540K C cabriolet, painted dark red , and now in South Africa museum, pictured here http://www.fmm.co.za/dt_portfolio/mercedes-benz-540k-cabriolet/

who was it that "barn found" it in 1988 and was it recorded in any magazine or newspaper what was paid? Was the car in bad shape? I wonder if when Farouk decamped from Egypt to the Riviera if this is the car he gadded about it, I have a book about him and it says he had eleven new Cadillacs for his south of france pied-a-terre (did I spell that right?)

Too bad I didn't know you before Jan gave his archives to DB, he even held the photos for the last two books back for some time later, but they are with DB now. I agree, things have really changed in publishing, but too late for Jan. I do hope that DB Historic will publish the books. I would think that they know what great potential they have in the manuscripts, but I am not sure. I think that for DB there is so much interest in the 300SLs and newer cars, which DB can relate to marketing new cars, that they don't think a lot about the cars from the 30s. Jan showed me the cars in action photos and I can assure you that they are terrific. I've been collecting car books for years and I have come to enjoy the period photos even more than those of the cars today. I'm sure I will never own a Supercharged MB, but Jan's books are my favorites of the hundreds of automotive books that I have. Dave

Unfortunately now that they are in the DB archive they may not see the light of day for quite some time. Publishing has changed quite a bit even in the last 10 years. Now it is much easier and cheaper to do a micro printing. Stan Smith wrote a fantastic book on DuPont that he was able to publish and fulfill himself. He may have only sold a few hundred copies bit it is a fantastic work and I'm sure making money does not factor in for him. If you don't have this book, you need to get it. Craig, you would love it because it gives the history on every serial number.

I just got the new "Supercharged Mercedes In Detail" by James Taylor. I have only skimmed through it for a few minutes, but I did not get the impression he did much original research, not that I expected revelations. He mentions at the beginning that most of the photos were provided by DBAG, and he also said he has not attempted to "disentangle" the arguments over how many cars were produced, relying instead on Melin's research. The book appears to be a fair but thin summary of the cars for those who cannot afford Melin's volumes on the resale market. Good paper stock and some nice photos, but the relatively small profile of the book makes many of them too small. I will read it next month after I finish the 1700-page tome I am reading now, but I expect it is a summary of existing books and articles rather than significant new information. After all, we're talking about 80-year-old history of cars; how much new information beyond Melin's work can there be unless it is research on surviving cars?

My retirement project would be a book detailing the history of the 35 or so MB cars that were sold in the U.S.A between 1936 and 1940. About 50% were supercharged cars. Every buyer had some interesting back story and some were obviously very wealthy. I know every model, many of the serial numbers and most of the buyers. Taking each car from its delivery to where it may be now or when it was lost to time would at least be interesting to me. Some are definitely still around. I'll bet I could give away or sell 100 copies :)

My retirement project would be a book detailing the history of the 35 or so MB cars that were sold in the U.S.A between 1936 and 1940. About 50% were supercharged cars. Every buyer had some interesting back story and some were obviously very wealthy. I know every model, many of the serial numbers and most of the buyers. Taking each car from its delivery to where it may be now or when it was lost to time would at least be interesting to me. Some are definitely still around. I'll bet I could give away or sell 100 copies :)

Some viewers may not know, partly because it was not printed in English, about Melin's book on the supercharged cars that were sold to buyers in the Nordic countries. Very pricey if you can find one. I managed to get the last two from a bookstore in Sweden at Melin's suggestion (after you suggested I look for it), but I have already passed one along to someone else. Your USA book would be a nice companion volume! How long do we have to wait for you to retire?

Jan had a big advantage writing that book. The nordic countries seemed to have done a great job of keeping all their registration records. Here is the good old U.S.A. most of those have gone bye bye. My book idea is a lot like many car restoration projects. You hope to finish before you pass on. However, I will say that it seems like a better hobby than restoring another car so there is a chance I will follow through.

Guest Bill K.

Hello, A.J. Long time no chat. Remember Hans Rinsma from one of the other forums we used to post on? He had a few wartime military Mercedes sedans and tourers. I lost touch with him but would love to find him again.

Melin's books are the best. I am lucky enough to have all three. The Swedish-language one was autographed by him. Last time I was in touch with Jan (via the email address of his niece, Irene) was in January of 2011 -- three years ago. I inquired about some production information but he could no longer answer as it seems all of his data is with Daimler-Benz now. Gerd Langer has never responded to repeated requests, and Gerhard Heidbrink is rather vague when he does respond. (Since I was a Society of Automotive Historians member, and the Committee Chair for non-English books, and one of Harry Niemann's books won the Cugnot Award, I was granted access to the online database. This is how I contacted Gerhard. The online database is virtually identical to Oswald's book, so if you have that, you have what the database includes.)

Here is Jan's last email to me:

Dear Bill,

Sorry to hear that you have lost your father. I know how traumatic this is. I lost my father when I was nine years old.

I wish you all the best for the new year.

I think all your assumptions are correct but due to my age and health Daimler in Stuttgart has taken over all my collection, research, photos, documents etc why I cannot any longer look up things. But I have passed on your e-mail to Mr. Gerd Langer in Stuttgart as I did last time and I wish you all success in your research.

Best regards

Jan Melin

Hi Bill, I remember Hans from the 170-220 forum. I only check in once or twice a year as their focus is primarily small displacement post war cars. You tend to see guys drift in and out of the hobby depending on what is going on in real life. I'm afraid your comments only reinforce my thinking that Jan's work will not be seen for quite some time. DB is in the business of making money selling cars and niche publications probably isn't at the top of their priority list.

I would rather have some private individuals who can be consulted on a car's history than the factory. The last I heard from the factory, they would only tell me about a car when it was new, and even then, though I wrote them weeks ago asking about the SN of the erdmann & Rossi King Ghazi 500K they didn't answer. So once the archives left private hands you are at the mercy of a PR department which takes its own times and decides who they will answer and who they won't.

Guest Bill K.
Hi Bill, I remember Hans from the 170-220 forum. I only check in once or twice a year as their focus is primarily small displacement post war cars. You tend to see guys drift in and out of the hobby depending on what is going on in real life. I'm afraid your comments only reinforce my thinking that Jan's work will not be seen for quite some time. DB is in the business of making money selling cars and niche publications probably isn't at the top of their priority list.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten what forum it was! I haven't been there in ages. You're right about Daimler-Benz's priorities. See below as well, for a reason for withholding information regarding the research of individual cars.

I would rather have some private individuals who can be consulted on a car's history than the factory. The last I heard from the factory, they would only tell me about a car when it was new, and even then, though I wrote them weeks ago asking about the SN of the erdmann & Rossi King Ghazi 500K they didn't answer. So once the archives left private hands you are at the mercy of a PR department which takes its own times and decides who they will answer and who they won't.

Here is a response from Gerhard regarding a query I made in April 2010 on behalf of a friend (Slovak automotive historian Marian Suman-Hreblay) for a Saoutchik-bodied Mercedes:

Dear Gerhard:

I am searching on behalf of noted automotive historian Marian Suman-Hreblay for information and pictures of a 1929 MB SS, engine No. 72330 (later replaced by engine No. 72334), chassis (or car, or body?) No. 36217. This chassis was sent in April 1929 to Paris (Auto Show) and remained at a Paris MB representative until about June 1931, when sent to Carrosserie Saoutchik. They created a new body, No. 925359 (?).

I searched the Multi-Media database and have not found anything. I have also not found anything in Oswald's "bible" on Mercedes, which looks very much like the database.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Best Regards,

Bill Kreiner

SAH Member #3110

Chairman Cugnot LOE Committee

Response:

Dear Bill

We supply information on individual cars to noone but the rightful owner of

the respective car - especially when very valuable cars are affected.

The reason for this is that we do not want to support any kind of

fraudulent manipulation that might be conceivable on the basis of our

information. We don't of course wish to hinder the research of automotive historians

but we hope you understand our position.

Best regards from Stuttgart,

Gerhard Heidbrink

Manager

Archives & Collection

Mercedes-Benz Cars

Brand Communications

Edited by Bill K. (see edit history)

Here is a mystery that perhaps someone can help solve. Pictured is a late 540k owned in the 50s and 1960s by Edward Roehrs of Puerto Rico. I have acquired a huge file on the car and know the history back to when it was built but nothing after 1970. It seems to have disappeared. It was a right hand drive with removable hard top. Serial number 286829, engine 189393.

post-31305-143142371907_thumb.jpg

Guest Bill K.

A.J., is this one of the 50+ cars that weren't bodied and delivered till the 1940-1942 period, after chassis production stopped, but before the Aktion P series (with its 18 recycled chassis and 2 new 1940 chassis) began production in summer 1942?

Yes Bill, it was delivered to a Eugen Muller in 1943. A very very late car. I need to spend time going through the paperwork to get all the right names and dates but it went through a few owners in Europe before it landed in Ohio in the early 50s and then to Mr Rohers in 1956.

Guest Bill K.

Oh, interesting! I didn't know any non-Aktion P cars were still being finished and delivered after mid-1942, when that series began. This is great information for me, as I'm studying wartime passenger cars. I'm occasionally in touch with Heribert Hofner. I will ask him if he knows the history of this car after 1970.

Guest Bill K.
Yes Bill, it was delivered to a Eugen Muller in 1943. A very very late car. I need to spend time going through the paperwork to get all the right names and dates but it went through a few owners in Europe before it landed in Ohio in the early 50s and then to Mr Rohers in 1956.

Do you know if this was the last regular (non-Aktion P) 540K delivered? I know some of the last Aktion P's weren't delivered till late in 1943, and if Oswald is right about there having been another series delivered in April 1944, then these would have been the last 540K's period. The last 770K's weren't finished and delivered till March 1944.

Also, do you have James Tayor's book on supercharged Mercedes cars? I just ordered it. I've been in touch with James in the past so I may shoot him an email to see what he based his research on.

I do not believe that I have the Kommission papers so can't verify the date exactly. I'll need to research what I have more but the dates look like they came from research done by the owner in the early 1950s. It does seem like a very late date for a non military body. The style is definitely that of the last cars but 1943 seems at least a couple of years laster than what you would think.

Although Goring's car (completed 1941) had the highest serial number other than the three short chassis 540K's (that I assume were all done in 1939), a couple of years ago Kienle sold a Cab A with the next highest serial number of cars known to survive that they claimed to be the last 540K finished, and only one finished in Sindelfingen after the war. It was allegedly an unfinished car in 1939, hidden from the Russians, then returned to the factory and completed in 1952! The asking price in 2011 was about $3M.

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

Guest Bill K.

I recall being told by someone who researched in the archives during the 1980s, before the arrival of Harry Niemann (when things became much more restricted), that circa 50 new 540K cars were completed and shipped/delivered in 1940; several in 1941; and 3 in 1942, prior to the start of the Aktion P series.

Aktion P started in summer 1942. According to some sources, all 20 cars were completed before the end of the year, with a few sitting in a reserve pool till 1943, with the last being delivered that December. Other sources consider them 1942/1943 cars, which might suggest some weren't completed till 1943. The Multi-Media Database regards them as 1943/1944 cars, though this may refer to the second series, ordered in late 1943 and delivered in April 1944 (for which there are no other records). Rather confusing.

The same researcher said that he found a June 1943 completion date of an "Innenlenker" but wasn't able to ascertain whether it was an Aktion P or a regular 540K. He couldn't find more data on post-1942 cars that time, and then when he went back, Niemann was already there and he had been denied further access.

The car you posted wouldn't be considered an Innenlenker, since it has a removable top, so that is probably not the June 1943 car mentioned by the researcher. But it's certainly possible other non-Aktion P cars were still being completed that year, after the first series of Aktion P was completed; the car you posted would be evidence of that. This is all very interesting.

Edited by Bill K. (see edit history)

Guest Bill K.
Although Goring's car (completed 1941) had the highest serial number other than the three short chassis 540K's (that I assume were all done in 1939), a couple of years ago Kienle sold a Cab A with the next highest serial number of cars known to survive that they claimed to be the last 540K finished, and only one finished in Sindelfingen after the war. It was allegedly an unfinished car in 1939, hidden from the Russians, then returned to the factory and completed in 1952! The asking price in 2011 was about $3M.

Very interesting! So this would not be an example of a rebodied car.

Melin's Vol. 1 mentions two new bodies having been built in 1944, I think for Goering's existing cars, but I'm not sure offhand, as I'm at work and don't have the the book in front of me.

The 1979 Schrader book on supercharged Mercedes cars depicts a 540K with a 1950 body. I don't believe there is any mentioning of its having been rebodied, but that was my assumption when I read it. I wonder now!

Guest Bill K.
Okay, call me rookie, but what is this "Multi-Media Database" and where can I see it? Thanks

It's supposedly only available to accredited journalists, but since I was an SAH member and the Committee Chair for non-English-language books, and since Harry Niemann won our Cugnot Award for his book, I was granted access. For the most part it's very similar to Oswald's book. They screwed up the production totals for the 540K though, claiming 319 were built. (Oswald correctly states 406 were built and then goes on to include the 500K's with 5.4 liter engines as 540K's, like Melin does, bringing the total to 419.)

The same technical data is now available on the Mercedes Benz Classic site, though not the plethora of photos, which are only available on the Multi-Media Database.

Here is the 500K/540K/580K page on the Classic site:

http://wiki.mercedes-benz-classic.com/index.php/Kategorie:Typen_500K

Does the Database or Oswald's book provide individual serial numbers? Other than Melin, Frostick, and auction sales, I haven't found any significant resource for matching serial numbers to body type (and whether surviving).

Guest Bill K.
Does the Database or Oswald's book provide individual serial numbers? Other than Melin, Frostick, and auction sales, I haven't found any significant resource for matching serial numbers to body type (and whether surviving).

There is nothing in the Database (that I have found) with regard to serial numbers, but Oswald does provide a serial-number listing. However it is not keyed to body type, if memory serves. I think it is by chassis year. I can scan it tonight if you wish to see it.

Which Frostick book are you referring to? I know I have a Mercedes book of his, but I haven't pulled it off the shelf in a while.

Guest Bill K.
Frostick's "Might Mercedes" has a serial number appendix for every car sold in the UK during the 1930s. Many more cars were sold there than in the U.S.A.

Ah, yes, that is the one that I have, and now I recall that appendix. I will need to yank that one off the shelf tonight.

Were there still some supercharged Mercedes cars imported here to the U.S. after the outbreak of war in Europe in Sept. 1939? Oswald mentions that many of the 1940 and later 540K's were exported.

Has anyone bought the James Taylor book yet, or am I the first? It's scheduled to arrive Tuesday.

Ah, yes, that is the one that I have, and now I recall that appendix. I will need to yank that one off the shelf tonight.

Has anyone bought the James Taylor book yet, or am I the first? It's scheduled to arrive Tuesday.

See my comment at post #580 above.

Guest Bill K.
I just got the new "Supercharged Mercedes In Detail" by James Taylor. I have only skimmed through it for a few minutes, but I did not get the impression he did much original research, not that I expected revelations. He mentions at the beginning that most of the photos were provided by DBAG, and he also said he has not attempted to "disentangle" the arguments over how many cars were produced, relying instead on Melin's research. The book appears to be a fair but thin summary of the cars for those who cannot afford Melin's volumes on the resale market. Good paper stock and some nice photos, but the relatively small profile of the book makes many of them too small. I will read it next month after I finish the 1700-page tome I am reading now, but I expect it is a summary of existing books and articles rather than significant new information. After all, we're talking about 80-year-old history of cars; how much new information beyond Melin's work can there be unless it is research on surviving cars?

I completely missed this post. Thanks for sharing your views. I will ask James next time I write to him exactly what research he did. I agree with you that there isn't much more that could be done aside from what Melin did; tho the researcher I wrote of above stated that there were still documents of all sorts that were buried in the depths of the archives that had not been cataloged and could not be viewed at the time he was there.

Are there appendices with material in tabular form?

What 1700-page book are you currently reading, if you don't mind my asking?

Guest Bill K.

I'm looking up registration numbers for the British 540K's in Frostick's book. A few of them were issued at unexpected dates, such as 1945, 1948, 1954. I presume some were held by importers or dealers for quite some time.

Are there appendices with material in tabular form?

What 1700-page book are you currently reading, if you don't mind my asking?

No appendices. I'd say the book is about 75% photos.

I'm just finishing Mark Lewisohn's treatise on The Beatles - no photos in that page count, and this is only part one of a 3-part set. This first volume took ten years. The next volume is supposed to be 3-4 years from now. I guess kind of like the people who had Melin's 1985 book waiting until 2003 to get volume 2!

I'm still looking for chassis numbers on these known cars, if anyone has old auction catalogs.

[TABLE=width: 1513]

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>[TR]

[TD]CHASSIS[/TD]

[TD]MODEL[/TD]

[TD]YEAR[/TD]

[TD]BODY[/TD]

[TD]COLOR[/TD]

[TD]PRICE[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]YR SOLD[/TD]

[TD]SELLER[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]