1935 dodge control arm??

Guest dsut

restoring 1935 dodge bros 4 door sedan. when i got it it was partially disassembled. among loose parts was a one inch diameter bar maybe 30 inches long, with two arms maybe a foot long each with large eyes at end.

also, two 15 inch shafts with discs, rubber washers and lots of nuts. there are two holes in front of frame, and figured the arms and shafts made up a control/sway bar device.

but where does it connect to the fromt axle? at the front of the lower shackle plates that secure the axle to the springs, there are two large openings, maybe over an inch in diamater that look like possible connections. is there some sort of rubber that holds the cross bar into these openings?

does any one have any info, drawing, or suggestions.

thanks

david

thank you . i have a shop manual with intricate details of transmissions and brakes and such, but no mention i can find of this part. i really am in the dark on this.

if you have a manual that has anything on this, i would be greatly appreciative

thanks

david

Here is a drawing of the front axle and parts from the 1935 Master Maintenance Manual. May help?

The bars you are referring to with the foot long ends seem more like a 34 Dodge independent font suspension.

35 dodge front axle.PDF

Edited by hwellens
added data (see edit history)

Thanks, that is helpful, but doesn't seem to be what i have here. i'll look in other manuals and maybe ask the dodge mechanics link later today.

david

thank you for your information. the dodge had regular leaf sprngs. in the shop manual it mentions adjusting and lubricating the sway bar, so i think this is what it it. but i am not sure how it is attached.

i will talk to bernbaum tomorrow and see if they have parts for it, and how it goes back in.

thanks

david

I have a specific 35 Dodge only auto parts book that may also help if you need it but I bet Hwellens are more than enough from his master, Let me know

thank you all so much for the help. it doesn't look like the parts posted by hwellens. i will try to get a photo up but i am not much good at the computer part of photography.

this rod is maybe an inch in diamater and some 30 inches long. the arms are in from the ends maybe 8=10 inches, so it forms something like a C.

the arms are maybe a foot long with a big eye at the end. in the very front of the frame by the front cross member are two holes about 3/4 inch in diamater, exactly spaced like the eyes in the ends of the arms running off of the rod. finally, on the front of the lower plates holding the springs to the axle, are two rings maybe 2 inches in diamater. so i think the ends of this rod go into these rings at each spring hangar, perhaps in some sort of a rubber holder.

also in the loose parts boxes were two shafts with multiple rubber snubbers and discs like those found on the ends of a shock. so i suspect these shafts connected the eyes of the arms on the rod, up to the holes in the frame. however, the fit is not very good as the shafts ought to be longer for a solid fit.

so i thought there was another place for the rod to connect to the axle.

alas, i'll keep trying, but i do appreciate the help.

david

let me see what bernbaum has to say.

but i am very grateful for all the good tries at this.

if '1930' would look and see if there is a reference for a sway eliminator, i'd be appreciative. my service manual just mentions adjusting it and not lubeing it. no picture there, or in the front axle or spring section.

thanks

david

My aplologies for the poor quality of views, my scanner is temp. out of commision and anyway I cannt get to much at the present time. The mice have eaten the corner of this book so there are some numbers missing but it can be clearly seen the front axle view does differ in a few ways from Hwellens but I am thinking that this still may not be of much help.

There is also a section that I have shown with listing for sway eliminator but alas no photos of same. If there is anything here that catches your eye I will make it a point to get clear scans and send them to you via e-mail and not that it would prob help but I also have an original 35 truck parts book ( not a preliminary parts list such as this ) that shows quite e few more views of front end components if that might peak some interest. You should be able to double click on the photos and hopefully get a larger view of the pict.

If you double click and then double click again and then click once more on the little box lower right corner you will be able to read quite clearly the text that I am trying to show.

post-48869-143138435921_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138435928_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138435935_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138435941_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138435947_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

hi 1930,

thank you for your efforts. i have a similar book with similar photos and drawings of the front end et al. in section 10 on frame springs and sh ocks, it mentions the sway eliminator, but shows no description. but i'll call bernbaum and talk to them tomorrow and see if they have a part for this. if not, maybe it will become a wall hanging.

thanks to all,

david

more on the sway bar

photo one shows the bar as i found it. the ruler on the floor is a foot so the bar is maybe 30 some inches.

photo 2 and 3 show the rings at the front of the lower plate for the front spring shackle to the axle. the above mentioned rod slips into these rings with a bit extra at the ends.

photo 4 and 5 shows the holes in the frame cross member that are spaced the same as the eyes in the rod as shown in photo 1.

photo 6 shows the shafts i found in the loose parts. it has several rubber grommets and discs, similar to a shock arm.

the service manual mentions a sway bar and i thing this is it. i suspect the rod goes into some grommets in the rings on the shackle plate, photo 2 and 3, and the shafts, photo 6, connect the eyes of the arms off the rod up to the holes in the frame cross member, photo 4 and 5. this would connect the axle to the frame in sort of a knee action set up.

does anyone think this is correct? does anyone know where i can get grommets to fit the rings in the shackle plate, photo 2 and 3?

any help appreciated.

david

keiser 31

thank you for posting the photos. i think it will help a lot for folks to see what i have been trying to describe.

thanks

david

to everyone who has been so helpful on this sway eliminator. it turns out bernbaum does not make parts for this arm , so i doubt i will bother to connect it. just drive slowly and not take the curves too fast. ought to do it.

but if anyone comes up with any info on this i would like to hear it.

again, thanks for your help.

david

i did go advanced, typed in the file, hit upload. but no photos appeared in the post.

can anyone help?

You have the process right (if you used the "paper clip icon" to get to the window to pick your files to upload). What you have described happening is the problem you get when the photos are too big for the forum to handle. When you take more photos in the future, either go into the settings in your camera and drop the resolution A BIT so the digital file size created is smaller by the camera, or better yet, take full size images with the camera and use some editing software to make the photo "smaller" AFTER downloading them to your computer storage location but before try attaching them to a forum message.

Good luck with all this. It is a good thing to figure out a system you can remember for doing this because "photos say a thousand words"!

Guest brian stenberg

Your on the right track. The stabilizer slips into the open eye ahead of the shock mount and the two rods are then affixed to the frame via rubber biscuits. I went to a gasket shop that has a waterjet and had them cut the biscuits OD/ID out of 60 duro Neoprene that is 1" thick. They usually sell this by the square foot and in my case, they had a CAD program that closely matched my dimensions. Once you get it put together, adjust the links until the biscuit is just starting to bulge against the washers. Pretty low tech but these things do give the car much better cornering and help the shocks do their job.

to 36 humpback,

i believe you are right. the shafts i found probably went with the scissor shocks. those shocks had long been removed when i bought the car and someone had welded in brackets above the frame for tubular shocks, using the plate on the spring mount for the bottom bracket. but those shafts in your picture certainly look like the ones i found.

thanks

david

to brian stenberg.

thank you so much for that information. you seem to be the first to recognize the stabalizer and know where it goes. so that i am perfectly clear on this, the stabalizer bar, as in picture 1 above, goes into the rings in pictures 2 and 3 above? is there a grommet in there to hold the rod?

but if i put the stabalizer rod in those rings or eyes, the arms do not reach anywhere near the holes on the frame at the front crossmember, shown in picture 4 & 5. how do i attach the arms to the frame? sorry to be dense, but i just can't make this thing fit and would like any additional info you can give me.

thanks so very much

david

Guest brian stenberg

I'll try to take some photos of the stabilizer bar in place and post them this weekend. To answer your questions, there is a sleeve that fits between the bar and the mount. The is shown in the DU chassis book. I believe the photos will answer your question as to where the links mount.

to brian stenberg and reg evans;

thank you gentlemen for helping me solve this mystery. the photos show exactly what i need to know, and i am ever so grateful. i suspected that was how the sway bar mounted, but i had no way to be sure. i have a service manual but i will try to get a chassis manual.

the rods i have seem to be too short to connect the eyes on the arms to the openings in the frame cross member. can you guess at the length? and for either of you, do you know where i can get a sleeve to mount the sway bar into the eyes on the shackle plate? steeles perhaps?

or do you know where i can get the longer rods to connect it to the frame above?

finally on another related subject, i discovered the front springs are not symetrical and it is almost two inches longer from the center bolt to one end than the other. do either of you know if the longer or sorter end goes to the front?

i am so very pleased to get this straight and am deeply thankful to both of you for taking the time to send this info on to me. thank you very much.

david

Guest brian stenberg

Reg is a much better photographer than I am! The links are approximately 9" long. What you may not see in the picture is where they locate on the frame. There is a gusset between the frame side rail and the front crossmember and you will see a hole in this gusset. This is where the upper link goes. It's been a while since I put springs in but I believe the shorter length is ahead of the axle. This makes sense since most of the compression on an axle is behind it (unless you drive in reverse a lot). I don't know where you would find the mounts for the stabilizer rod but if Steeles does not have them, you could do some measuring and fabricate them. I would use polyurethane if you can as it is nearly impervious to most chemicals and has a natural lubricity which helps keeps things quiet.

brian,

thanks again for that info. i will look at the frame tomorrow and see if i can get this hooked up.

i am so relieved to get an idea on the springs. i'll set it up with the shorter end forward.

thanks so very much

david