1957 Buick Trunk Liner Patterns

1957buickjim

Hi everyone! I am looking for patterns of the trunk liner for a 2 dr sedan. These would be for the burtex material that lines the floor and back of the trunk. I am not sure that a 2 dr htp would work as well. Just need the patterns or if you have an old original that you no longer need, would be interested in that. Also not sure that a 55 or 56 wouldn't work either. Looking for help here. Thanks.

You can PM me if you have it. Thanks.

Pretty sure 55/56 won't work. It's not too hard to make your own patterns from kraft paper. Easy to recut and adjust by trial and error before commiting to $80/yd material. I'd take some pix of my convert trunk for you but i'm certan it's different.............Bob

Bob, If you could take pictures of your trunk liner that would be great! I do not have an original to use for patterns, hence the request. I have some scraps left over, but the original was toast when I bought the car. I bought a repro kit..but it looks like cheesy vinyl, not the original pattern burtex. I ran across some burtex with the original pattern and color, but don't want to use the one I have installed in there now. I know it is not correct. I have a feeling that the orignal was 3, 4 or 5 pieces when installed. Your 46C might be right up to the portion by the back seat where the top cylinder is installed (I think).

I do have the kraft paper to make the patterns, but nothing to go by. Thanks for your help on this.

Pix tomorrow Jim but I will have to EMail them direct. PM your address if you wish it to be kept private. I might have a small amount of the material I bought from Cars left over. If you want a sample I will send it to you............Bob

Guest Jim_Edwards
Hi everyone! I am looking for patterns of the trunk liner for a 2 dr sedan. These would be for the burtex material that lines the floor and back of the trunk. I am not sure that a 2 dr htp would work as well. Just need the patterns or if you have an old original that you no longer need, would be interested in that. Also not sure that a 55 or 56 wouldn't work either. Looking for help here. Thanks.

You can PM me if you have it. Thanks.

Why not just buy a die cut correct color ready to drop in Burtex liner for your car for $93.95?

Buick Century Custom Fit Trunk mat 1957, 1958

Jim

Jim, that's where I started. Called them and inquired about it. Seems that the Century is not quite the same as the special 2 door sedan. I then bought the material to make my own. Crazy, but the 2 dr sedan is a unique body style, not offered in the century or any other model. Thanks for the info though.

Jim,

The Master Body Parts Manual lists these Trunk Trim part numbers....

4707792...1...1957-41-43-48-61-63 (Gray)

4707799...1...1957-41-43-46C-46R-48-61-63-66C-66R (Side R.) Green

4707800...1...1957-41-43-46C-46R-48-61-63-66C-66R (Side R.) Blue

4707801...1...1957-41-43-46C-46R-48-61-63-66C-66R (Side R.) Gray

And the MBPM indicates the Pan, Rear Compartment for all the B-Body models are all the same;

4691783...1...1957-40-60

Given this, I don't understand how the Model 48 could warrant a unique pattern.

TG

Ok Team..that is what I was told when I went to order the liner kit from that supplier..maybe they didn't know, but neither did I and I have spent a small fortune on stuff for Century and 2 dr HTP parts that don't fit my vehicle when I went to install them, so maybe I was a little gun shy on ordering the pre cut items. That is why I am looking for some patterns to cut my own. I did by the bulk / roll of correct gray material for the trunk.

TG, thanks for the update. I really need to get me one of those master parts manuals. I have one from 1946 - 1957 and one from 1957 - 1966, but the one in the middle still eludes me, and it seems that book is the necessary bible for these holy grail searches.

Jim - Thanks for the update on the GM commonality. I have found that to be very beneficial in obtaining a number of parts that normally you cant find for the Buick, but are the same on the Olds, Chevy and Pontiac..also though, there are some subtleties that you have to look out for as well.

The quest continues...

Guest Rob McDonald

JIM, my parts manual is also 1946-57 and I find that it's very complete for 1957. Because the book is loose bound, you might be missing some pages. If you see any gaps in the page numbering, let me know and I'll copy what's missing for you.

Most of the "generic" illustrations in the manual show the '57 assemblies. An exception - of course - is for the trunk linings, of which the book shows the 1951-52 Models 45 and 47, attached. As I recall (my own car's original trunk mat is packed away in a box somewhere), the way it's shown is very similar to how it was done in '57. The side frame rail covers are sewn to fit some curves but the other pieces are all flat. I can't recall how the cut edges are treated, whether or not they're hemmed somehow. The picture does clearly show what laps over what.

I took a look at the link to stockinteriors.com and I think you were wise to back off. It doesn't strike me as the place to go if you're looking for truly authentic trim sets. You'll do better cutting the correct material yourself - you impress me as someone who's picky enough to do it right.

post-59990-143138396829_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim_Edwards

I took a look at the link to stockinteriors.com and I think you were wise to back off. It doesn't strike me as the place to go if you're looking for truly authentic trim sets. You'll do better cutting the correct material yourself - you impress me as someone who's picky enough to do it right.

You are obviously totally unaware of the fact that company supplies carpeting, headliners, and trunk liners to many professional restoration shops, as well as wholesaling to many, many other online sellers held in high regard.

Jim

The Roadmasters use color co-ordinated woven cloth for their trunk lining, not a stamped-pattern

Burtex like FoMoCo or others. Something tells me the B-Body cars had a different material.

I would need a sample before committing, as we already know there were three colors

available for B-Body trunks.

TG

Rob..thanks for the vote of confidence on making my own. I will figure it out in some manner, hopefully through the massive knowledge base on this forum. I have the same picutre in my MB book as well, and I think it is close, but no cigar. I will just keep on trying and looking.

TG..I did request samples and it did match up quite well with the original material. Just working on getting the patterns.

Jim..I appreciate the input. I did ask them about the cut, but did not get a warm and fuzzy from them regarding the original patterns.

Guest Rob McDonald

JIM EDWARDS, I bow to your experience with stockinteriors.com. You sound like a satisfied customer, while I was only going on a quick glance through their slightly cheesy website. With the quality that you describe, a prepared trunk liner set for under $100 sounds like a terrific bargain. Apparently, they are better at being parts suppliers than web designers. Which is good!

OTHER JIM, like TG, I was puzzled why there would be a difference in the trunk of a Special 2-door sedan and a Century 2-door Riviera. Going through the parts manual very carefully, I am certain that the patterns for the trunk mats and cardboard sidewall liners are the same for all B-body (Special and Century) 2-door sedans and 2-door hardtops and, in fact, for all B-body 4-doors as well.

Trunk trim for these cars came in green, blue or grey to match the interiors, like TG said. Judging by your avatar, I'd guess your car's interior is green, either Trim 411 (Standard) or 412 (Custom). Part numbers for the trunk trim pieces in each colour are the same for all Special models, except the convertibles and Estate Wagons. They are exactly the same numbers for Century Trim 611 (green) in both 2- and 4-door Rivieras and 4-door sedans.

Based on Jim Edwards' recommendation, I would advise the next guy in your position to go ahead and order the trim set from stockinteriors.com. However, you've already got the correct material and just need the confidence to cut and stitch it to fit.

HEY GUYS, there must be dozens of '57 Specials and Centurys in the Detroit area (Windsor included). Invite Jim to come over to check out your car's trunk and encourage him to go for it.

Here are some pics (of Bhigdogs 46C trunk) and my model 48 trunk. Both are 2 doors, Specials, and they are different. Both Bob and I used the original cardboard liners as templates for the side walls and back of the seat area. I realize the convertible would have the cutout for the hydraulic top motor, but what puzzled me is the side boards..if you look, they are different. His is cut out over the wheel wells, while mine are fully covering the wells to the hinge.

Hence, why I don't think the Century template as cut would work. I have had the same issue with the side glass replacements that I bought. Vent windows, Door Windows and Quarter Windows are totally different by a lot! It took 3 months for the glass guys to get the right ones to me and I had to take out my glass and provide the templates because they did not have them, though they thought they did..with a 1957 Buick 2Dr Special. The model 48 is a unique body style, only used in the Special series. None offered in the Century trim or Super / Roadmaster.

Rob, my car is TC color coded, which is Dawn Gray top with a Dover White under the spears. Trim code, 471, and thanks to you, and your wonderful book of info, provided more insight into some little known details.

I thank everyone who is on this lively post. Jim Edwards, I did by my material from stockinteriors.com. That is who told me that they did not have the patterns for the Model 48, body style 4411.

post-65800-143138397031_thumb.jpg

post-65800-14313839704_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138397049_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138397055_thumb.jpg

Jim,

I have used that trunk fabric (from Classic Buicks?) in another car I did for a friends 1960 Electra. The pattern itself was exactly like the one I took out, so I wouldn't hesitate to use the one you have as a starting point for your new fabric. Remember to use a backing of some kind. In other words, don't just glue the fabric directly to the floor. I can't answer your cardboard question.

Guest Rob McDonald

Interesting. There's a lot more fitting and stitching in the felt trunk lining of Bhigdog's convertible than was originally done for your car or mine, as near as I can remember. Your cardboard panels look excellent. However, there's way too much folding, bunching and puckering in the floor mat. The pattern just wasn't right.

I suggest that you snip and trim the vinyl-faced material until it lays nice and flat, like in Bhigdog's car and in the Parts Manual illustration (what is that yellow tape stuff, btw?). With that as a template, you can then cut out the repro material that you have.

Slightly off topic but what do you use to replace the cardboard side panels. I would like to replace them in my 62 Electra, plain grey finish. I can find new ones for 63 onwards only. I have reasonable patterns to use. Thanks, Rick.

Rob and BRB, I think you can buy the cardboard backing from any trim and upholstery shop. It should come in 60" x 36 or 40, I can't remember. I also think that you can get it in black or dk gray. I happen to work with a die cutting company, so they hooked me up with a few sheets.

I painted mine to match the color on the original. I found a Rustoleum gray that was the ticket. Also, when I painted my panels, I used a gloss gray, and when it dried, it became a satin finish on the cardboard. The cardboard soaks up paint, so I had to give them 3 full coats to get an even finish on the parts. You will also need a lot of x-acto or razor knife blades for cutting. A sharp blade is the ticket and you have to change blades often.

Good luck.

Rob, can you post a pic of the texture/finish on your 73A's panel board? I'm under the impression that the Roadmasters' boards have a pebble-textured effect, rather than just plain board. I know they're co-ordinated

to the lining's color, based on the car's interior.

Group 15.222 has many, many variants unique to the 70-Series, with half a page of footnotes at the end indicating the body numbers at each plant when changes were made. It hurts just looking at it!

When mine was replaced 10 years ago, the boards may have been enhanced, and I'd like to confirm.

Thanks,

TG

Interesting. There's a lot more fitting and stitching in the felt trunk lining of Bhigdog's convertible than was originally done for your car or mine, as near as I can remember. Your cardboard panels look excellent. However, there's way too much folding, bunching and puckering in the floor mat. The pattern just wasn't right.

I suggest that you snip and trim the vinyl-faced material until it lays nice and flat, like in Bhigdog's car and in the Parts Manual illustration (what is that yellow tape stuff, btw?). With that as a template, you can then cut out the repro material that you have.

To answer the "yellow tape stuff" question I explained in my EMail to Jim that I placed the tape over the sewn seams so he could more easily see them. You could not tell other wise where a sewn seam is.

When cutting the card board it's not necessary to keep changing blades in your utility knife. After every cut just give the edge a few strokes on a good oil stone. It will be sharper than a new one and last, literally, for years........Bob

Bob, you are the man.. I am sorry that I did not explain the yellow tape stuff to the masses. As for the blades, I must use those cheapo blades..I end up using a ton, mostly breaking the tip off.

Did you get your board from a local source or order it? I know that the originals had some type of graining on them, and my new ones don't, since I made them myself from the original patterns. Just wondering.

My originals weren't texrured that I can recall. They were just matt black card board. Maybe the higher end models used a textured board. My local trim shop is very good to me and sold a couple to me at cost.

Funny, I don't ever recall breaking a utility knife tip and just keep sharpening it forever. Oh well.................Bob

Guest Rob McDonald

You guys have got me wondering, dang it. Now I'm going to have venture across the yard to my garage to see if I can find those trunk liner panels. It's -27C out there, with the wind chill, and we had a foot of snow on the weekend. Hey, I was born up here - what's Derek's excuse?

I removed my Roadmaster lining this past fall. It is a gray fabric material with thin blue colored lined threads placed in small square pattern throughout. This fabric is glued to what I believe is a dry oil/tar based dark brown/blackish insulating backing sheet material with small round mounds throughout it's surface. I will post a few photos tomorrow. Perhaps you can see how it lays out for your patterns Jim. This may help you.

With that said, I am looking for this insulating backing material. I can get the correct fabric from the New Jersey boys at Buicks Inc. So if anyone knows where I can get this correct backing I am all ears.

David, I have found a source for the backing material. Look up Mark II Enterprises on eBay. He has an eBay store that sells the correct waffle pattern liner material. It might be a little pricey, but it is the only place where I have seen it. I am open to other suppliers of that material as well. Thanks for the post. Any pictures of your trunk liner would really be appreciated.

Guest Rob McDonald

DAVID, it's even colder today, so I still haven't ventured up to the attic of my garage to find my trunk linings. I remember though that the backing paper of the mats is like construction tarpaper. I don't recall the dimpled pattern but it might have resulted from glueing and pressing the backing paper onto the mat material. Does any of this ring true?

Guest Rob McDonald

JIM, we overlapped just now. It's amazing how arcane information like this becomes available on a moment's notice, within this forum. Our keyboards have truly become extensions of our previously limited brains.

Pretty amazing there Rob! It is like a tar paper but heavier construction and it does have a pattern to it. You will find it on the underside of the deck lid between the structural supports and glued to the inside of the roof under the headliner.

I have a section and I will post a picture of it in a bit. Stay warm in even the more frozen north, neighbor!

Guest Rob McDonald

THAT's where else I've seen this backing material - trunk lids and roofs! I suppose that it has sound-deadening properties, while being inert and not prone to decay. Clever folks they were, at Flint.

Bob Drake sells it in two thicknesses. The thicker can be easily seperated. I really don't think it would be good as a trunk fabric lining. Too stiff. For my 55 Olds trunk I glued 2 thicknesses of Walmart felt fabric together with spray adhesive and glued the trunk material to that with spray adhesive. It's thick enough to be good padding but soft enough to lay flat and cost about 10 bucks...........Bob

Guest Rob McDonald

BOB, a big advantage of the bitumen-impregnated material is that it's waterproof. Common felt would just trap water under the mat, causing mildew and, eventually, rust on the trunk floor. Hopefully though, our old cars won't have to spend a lot of time out in the rain, so a wet trunk won't be a big risk.

It's weird but I kind of like the smell of mildew. It makes me think, "old cars".

I see it just the opposite. Water gets under tar paper and can't evaporate so it feeds rot. Cloth is able to breath and pass vapor so the moisture evaporates in a day or two. Thats one of the reasons our cars were rust buckets. Dirt got packed in seams and crevices and held moisture.

Granted a show type car shouldn't be subject to the abuse it got back in the day so one could use whatever seems/looks best..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Use that stuff as a cosmetic repair of your trunk lid panels only. Do not use it under the trunk fabric or over the headliner---it will bleed brown stains that cannot be removed. Use a dynamat like material over the headliner and felt like Bob suggested under the trunk fabric.

Willie

Another option from the felt idea...I bought cheap replacement carpet from Vato Zone and glued my fabric to that. Like Bob said, it is thin enough to lay flat, and thick enough to protect the expensive fabric from errant folding chair legs thrown haphazardly in the trunk.

Ok you guys. David here reporting from the Hotel California. It got up to 63 degrees today out on the veranda so everyone left their rooms and went out. Yesterday and today have been the only two days that we have seen sunshine out here since I believe Halloween. The doorman allowed me to get outside a bit so I could take these photos reminding me that I can go anytime I want but I can never leave.

Jim. Thanks for the lead as I will see what they have.

Here are my trunk skins set out as they would be in the trunk. I have included photos of the dimpled backing as well. The main center piece is not stitched on the ends but rather just folded over the back about an inch and glued onto the dry dimpled tar backing. As you can see I tried to clean this center piece this past summer and as was pointed out, by doing so the backing bled through. I found that I can get it out of the cloth face but I have to separate the fabric from the tar backing to do so.

The other large piece just ahead of this center piece is the one that sets just behind the rear seat back and has a smaller piece hem stitched to it. It is this smaller attached piece that covers the step up in the trunk. The side pieces as shown to the right and left of the main center piece has the dimpled backing on these pieces as well, but should be noted the small fabric piece attached to this is hem stitched but has no tar backing- just fabric as it goes up and rolls over the wheel arches on either side.

Jim I measured out my pieces and if you want I could get them out to you if you would need that. Let me know.

....Also please forgive me - and...I know it is off from Jim's original topic here but since we have everyone gathered on this post already, perhaps someone could chime in and answer my questions regarding the following as shown in the last few photos:

Question 1) Where can I get some of this original battery cable sheathing? It is wrapped over my negative battery cable as a sheathing and I believe it is the original OEM battery cable as everything else on my car appears to be as well. You can see it still has the Buick engine blue/green paint sprayed onto it.

Question 2) I bought this 1957-58 correct AC fuel pump. When I got it home, I noticed on the bottom of the fuel pump which would be correctly called the pulsator cover, I found remaining traces of Buick blue green engine paint on it. An original label is placed over that. Most of the paint on the pulsator cover is rubbed off but you can still see most of it around the perimeter edges. I could also see rubbed in remnants of the same on the body of the pump as well most prevalent near the bolt hole bosses. You can just make this out on the photos.

So does this mean that the original AC fuel pumps where painted the same as the engine and not matte aluminum as we all see today? I ask this because I have a few old tech photos showing the engine and the pump looks the same as the engine block and valve covers (black n white photos) but you can tell it is not aluminum nor anodized as was the power steering hub or the water pump hub, or the front / rear of the generator.

Question 3) Shown is a photo of my exhaust pipe stock flared end just before it goes into what would be the rear passenger's side final bumper resonator. I was removing my fuel tank and rear pipe sections on both sides and removed a clamp that no doubt has been there forever and what did I find but Buick green paint under it. As shown in the last photo. The rest of the pipe is rust colored as pipes go. So what is up with this. Could this be the original pipe and if it is this would mean the exhaust pipes were painted Buick engine blue/green from the factory. Any thoughts here.

Sorry to sand back this post but what the heck. It will just give us more to talk about in one convenient spot!

Edited Note: Somehow I managed to repeat myself as seen below and can't seem to delete it. Just double talk anyway.

post-56742-143138411464_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138411498_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138411527_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138411556_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138411747_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138411776_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138411805_thumb.jpg

post-56742-143138411894_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Ok you guys. David here reporting from the Hotel California. It got up to 63 degrees today out on the veranda so everyone left their rooms and went out. Yesterday and today have been the only two days that we have seen sunshine out here since I believe Halloween. The doorman allowed me to get outside a bit so I could take these photos reminding me that I can go anytime I want but I can never leave.

Jim. Thanks for the lead as I will see what they have.

Here are my trunk skins set out as they would be in the trunk. I have included photos of the dimpled backing as well. The main center piece is not stitched on the ends but rather just folded over the back about an inch and glued onto the dry dimpled tar backing. As you can see I tried to clean this center piece this past summer and as was pointed out, by doing so the backing bled through. I found that I can get it out of the cloth face but I have to separate the fabric from the tar backing to do so.

The other large piece just ahead of this center piece is the one that sets just behind the rear seat back and has a smaller piece hem stitched to it. It is this smaller attached piece that covers the step up in the trunk. The side pieces as shown to the right and left of the main center piece has the dimpled backing on these pieces as well, but should be noted the small fabric piece attached to this is hem stitched but has no tar backing- just fabric as it goes up and rolls over the wheel arches on either side.

Jim I measured out my pieces and if you want I could get them out to you if you would need that. Let me know.

....Also please forgive me - and...I know it is off from Jim's original topic here but since we have everyone gathered on this post already, perhaps someone could chime in and answer my questions regarding the following as shown in the last few photos:

Question 1) Where can I get some of this original battery cable sheathing? It is wrapped over my negative battery cable as a sheathing and I believe it is the original OEM battery cable as everything else on my car appears to be as well. You can see it still has the Buick engine blue/green paint sprayed onto it.

Question 2) I bought this 1957-58 correct AC fuel pump. When I got it home, I noticed on the bottom of the fuel pump which would be correctly called the pulsator cover, I found remaining traces of Buick blue green engine paint on it. An original label is placed over that. Most of the paint on the pulsator cover is rubbed off but you can still see most of it around the perimeter edges. I could also see rubbed in remnants of the same on the body of the pump as well most prevalent near the bolt hole bosses. You can just make this out on the photos.

So does this mean that the original AC fuel pumps where painted the same as the engine and not matte aluminum as we all see today? I ask this because I have a few old tech photos showing the engine and the pump looks the same as the engine block and valve covers (black n white photos) but you can tell it is not aluminum nor anodized as was the power steering hub or the water pump hub, or the front / rear of the generator.

Question 3) Shown is a photo of my exhaust pipe stock flared end just before it goes into what would be the rear passenger's side final bumper resonator. I was removing my fuel tank and rear pipe sections on both sides and removed a clamp that no doubt has been there forever and what did I find but Buick green paint under it. As shown in the last photo. The rest of the pipe is rust colored as pipes go. So what is up with this. Could this be the original pipe and if it is this would mean the exhaust pipes were painted Buick engine blue/green from the factory. Any thoughts here.

Sorry to sand back this post but what the heck. It will just give us more to talk about in one convenient spot !

This is the lining and board that's in the Roadmistress, the former is correct, not so sure

about the latter. Given it's blue interior, it should have the blue square thread as David's

car does; we couldn't find it 10 years ago, and had to use gray instead.

57_trunk_liningx.jpg

Larger

I would've shot a bigger picture, but my trunk is half full and hasn't been empty for several years.

It's not a show car by any means (DPC Class), so I can live with the boards if they're not year-specific.

I will say though, it's beautifully-finished.

TG

Hi team :) Old Tank, what is this dynamat that you refer to? I have had the same issue as you with the rust spots on my headliner from the original material falling onto it and staining it. Need to replace the headliner :(

The burtex material has a jute backing on it, so I don't think that there is a need for additional padding, but the trim carpet that Mike refers to will work fine. I have used it before and it is inexpensive and easy to cut / glue down if you want.

David,

To answer your question on the battery cable. I made a new one from using components from Rhode Island Wiring. (Rwi.com | Rwi). They had exactly the cloth covered material and lugs necessary to make it. Took about 20 minutes or so. I had an NOS one, and lo and behold, it was corroded internally (so I'm guessing, cause when I changed it to the made one, it fixed by starting problems). As for paint, my original was painted as well, so I am venturing to guess that it was mounted on the engine prior to paint, probably on a sacred bolt discussed in a number of posts previous. Also, it seems that if your car had power steering, the battery cable was mounted to the engine mount, if not, it was mounted to the top bolt hole in the water pump cross-over on the front of the block.

As for your fuel pump, again green, based upon the sacred bolt /gasket system of paint. Mine was green. Any fuel pump that was non original or replaced would most likely not be painted engine color, but original cast color (magnesium). I have mine off for a rebuild, but it is or has traces of the original green engine paint on it.

You have me on the exhaust..

As for the pictures and measurements..I would gladly accept them from you. Anything to help get that laid out. There might be a difference in width since you have a Roadmaster, and I am working on a Special. I can deal with that. I just need to get a rough idea of the pieces and relative size.

As for the material, I thing Bhigdog provided one lead, here is the lead from eBay 50 52 53 56 59 60 Rolls Packard Hood Trunk Insulation - eBay (item 190359128835 end time Feb-11-11 08:21:57 PST) Hope that works.