Brochure Double-Takes

TG57Roadmaster

I had put this in the "dumbest lines in for sale ads" thread, but thought it deserved

its own place, 'cuz there are sure to be more.

From a couple of Mercury brochures...

The kids have stocked up at the sporting goods store (been in there at least an hour),

and are heading to the beach in their '68 Montego MX.

Must not have seen the curb...

68_montego_nopkgx.jpg

Ordering your '73 Montego MX Brougham is easy, just check the boxes for the options you want...

73_montego_strg_wheelx.jpg

Or need, in the case of the steering wheel.

TG

PS, To be fair, it's called the deluxe steering wheel in the brochure's other dash illustrations.

I had put this in the "dumbest lines in for sale ads" thread, but thought it deserved

its own place, 'cuz there are sure to be more.

From a couple of Mercury brochures...

The kids have stocked up at the sporting goods store (been in there at least an hour),

and are heading to the beach in their '68 Montego MX.

Must not have seen the curb...

68_montego_nopkgx.jpg

nor did the art director see the reflection of the Rambler in the window ...

How about "Cars Detroit Never Built"? The 1977 Olds brochure features the Toronado XSR on its cover. Car was supposed to have power retracting T-tops (and a wrap-around backlight), but the option was deemed too expensive and never went into production - instead, it was replaced by a sunroof (and the wraparound) and the production car was called Toronado XS (which I always felt was too close to "excess"). There was one XSR prototype built that still exists (I helped to restore it) but a lot of mystique surrounds it, no doubt in part because of the brochure. Will see if I can dig one out and scan it, but the brochure car is air-brushed.

How about "Cars Detroit Never Built"? The 1977 Olds brochure features the Toronado XSR on its cover. Car was supposed to have power retracting T-tops (and a wrap-around backlight), but the option was deemed too expensive and never went into production - instead, it was replaced by a sunroof (and the wraparound) and the production car was called Toronado XS (which I always felt was too close to "excess"). There was one XSR prototype built that still exists (I helped to restore it) but a lot of mystique surrounds it, no doubt in part because of the brochure. Will see if I can dig one out and scan it, but the brochure car is air-brushed.

I saw one that was at an Olds dealer at the time.

The salesman demonstrated the power t-tops for me, it was on the Olds dealer showroom on Maple Road in Troy Michigan (north side of the street I recall), it may have been the only one made, but I was so amazed that someone would do POWER t-tops that it is vivid in my mind still

I can't remember what color the car was, i want to say white with maroon interior, but I have no faith in my memory of the color of the car

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)

I saw one that was at an Olds dealer at the time.

The salesman demonstrated the power t-tops for me, it was on the Olds dealer showroom on Maple Road in Troy Michigan (north side of the street I recall), it may have been the only one made, but I was so amazed that someone would do POWER t-tops that it is vivid in my mind still

I can't remember what color the car was, i want to say white with maroon interior, but I have no faith in my memory of the color of the car

ASC (American Sunroof) did the prototype and I _think_ they were to do the production cars but the cost added too much to the price of the car... Olds wanted to destroy the prototype but ASC nixed it because they had a bunch of money in it and wanted to try to market this system at trade shows and the like. Car eventually got into private hands but you could very well have seen it in Troy... it was/is "carmine" with a black interior. As you can see, the one in the brochure is white with maroon. Guy in NJ has the original now - owner who had it restored when I worked on it lived in Connecticut and passed away several years ago now. Buddy of mine has a picture of it taken back in 1976, will email him this weekend and ask him to send it to me again.

AAH! Go to Google images and put in Toronado XSR! A lot of what comes up is from the brochure, but there are pics of the red car as well... I took at least one of them. Also see Toronado Owners Association

There may be more of them out there, but I need to see the gun camera film. I did have some correspondence years ago from a man in AZ or southern California who said he had a Cadillac Eldorado with the same setup.

Guest Silverghost

Very Neat idea~~~

They should have put this Olds Toronado XSR option into production; or at least had an outside contractor do the power T-Top factory conversion like GM did with later T-Top cars & Convertibles you could order from your GM dealer !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)