What started out as an engine bay detailing

Barry Wolk

I started out doing an engine bay detailing. I noticed that the radiator had a leak. Once the radiator was out of the way I noticed that front seal was leaking so I removed the grill for better access. Once the grill was out of the way I found that the fenders were in the way of a a good cleaning, so 30 nuts and bolts later, they were out of the way.

I have found no wear on a car that's 77 years old and traveled 50,000 miles, yet there's virtually no rust on anything. There's no sign that the car has ever had any bodywork. I believe the fenders have come off at some point as some of the lock washers are shiny. The rest of the outside of the car appears to be original

This car is elegantly simple to work on and to adjust to factory specs. The biggest help will be having more than 1 working shock absorber. :rolleyes:

I've now taken apart the entire rear suspension, front suspension, cable brake system, replaced all seals and changed all fluids. I'm replacing every rubber hose and restoring the wiring to its original configuration.

I'm hoping I can stop there.

IMG_1742.jpg

Guest Silverghost

Once you start digging around into things~~~~

It's hard to stop .

As my Father used to always say~~~

"Stop looking for trouble~~~

It will find you fast enough by itself ! "

1933 Continental Flyer, made by the Continental Motor Company for just one year. It has a Hayes body, a Continental engine and a Budd suspension.

I never heard of one. That's very cool. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Our '30 Packard (just a driver) Phaeton had her carb rebuilt, and we decided to take care of the weeping radiator, and of course decided to rechrome the radiator shell. To get it apart, the headlight bar, headlight shells, and several other miscellaneous pieces had to be removed.

You guessed it! We wound up chroming the front (and the rear) bumpers, parking lights, all of the windshield frame parts (so new glass and rubber was in order while we were there) and then new windwing glass and rubber. The chrome (everything on the car) is no longer that of a "driver" with beautiful work by Paul's Plating, and the tab came to more than our first house.

While the radiator and hood were off, we looked into the "no big deal, just a little blue smoke" issue and did an engine rebuild, water pump, clutch assembly, etc......

Might as well look into the brakes............

Then, naturally, new tubes and tire disassembly meant powdercoating all six (6) spoke wheels and chroming all six (6) lock-rings. Etc., etc., etc., ... Then we got into the pinstriping...and then front and rear tonneau covers.

The Packard "driver" was, last year, awarded her First Junior, Senior, and First Preservation. Many thanks to Barry and Lindie Eash of B&L Enterprises in Windber, PA for the talent and the dedication to quality work.

So much for knowing when to stop! We love it, but............... a carb rebuild and weeping radiator turned into a major project.

Yes, we still drive it on tour.

post-54863-143138387018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

I started out doing an engine bay detailing. I noticed that the radiator had a leak. Once the radiator was out of the way I noticed that front seal was leaking so I removed the grill for better access. Once the grill was out of the way I found that the fenders were in the way of a a good cleaning, so 30 nuts and bolts later, they were out of the way.

I'm hoping I can stop there.

Probably not Barry. There's a few cars that we were only going to repaint that ended up getting a full frame off restoration.

You get something apart, and then you tell yourself "it's only a few more bolts and I can get this looking better" then you get that off and you again tell yourself "it's only a few more bolts and I can get this looking better"Before you know it, you've got a frame off restoration.

Welcome to the world of addiction Barry.

My willpower must be strong because I am actually putting it back together thoroughly serviced, but unrestored.

1. All new rubber hoses

2. Front, trans and differential seals

3. Dismantled entire suspension. Sandblasted and painted parts. Installed UHMW tape between leaf springs to prevent binding on this unusual suspension.

4. Dismantled water pump and generator to clean fossilized lubricants.

5. Dismantled and cleaned fan bearing assembly.

6. Cleaned and painted all portions of Steeldraulics braking system and clutch linkage.

7. Removed a bunch of funky wiring.

To do:

Weld exhaust manifold

Install radiator, other fender, hood and grill.

IMG_1703.jpg