Hello

Guest Jonny88

Guest Jonny88

hello everybody, this is my first post on the website. I registered because of my interest in antique and classic cars. I am looking to buy a 1951 Oldsmobile standard 88. As far as I can tell from my conversation with the current owner and pictures, it runs well and is mostly complete. All the trim outside and in is complete except for very small items such as trunk lock cylinder, rear-view mirror glass, glove box key, powder coated bumper plates, Oldsmobile lettering over both globe emblems, windshield wipers, and original air filter pan. I do know that it is a 12 volt converted system but retains all of its other original equipment. The Hydra-matic transmission works well after the car warms up for a few minutes. The owner is asking $4000, please let me know what you guys think, thanks.

ef0076f3.jpged241c5c.jpg

03301a67.jpg

f82d94a2.jpg

afb72761.jpg

Guest Jim_Edwards

My personal opinion is if that was a car I wanted I'd jump on it like a duck on a June bug for that asking price. Lots of things to do to take it back to the way it was coming out of the showroom, but I'd still call it a real bargain.

Jim

$4g is pretty reasonable for a base 88 four-door sedan. They're every bit as fun and interesting as Holidays and convertibles, they just don't command the money those do. Plus it seems the 51-53 cars tend to go for less than 49-50 and 54-56.

If the car runs well and needs mainly cosmetic and detail things (which is what I'm seeing in the pics), I think you can get into a nice entry level collector car for not a lot of money.

I would be very careful with that electric fuel pump and rubber fuel lines though. And please find some proper Oldsmobile Green paint for the engine!

Guest Jim_Edwards
At this price I would jump at it. However, at this price I also wonder, what's wrong with it?

Maybe nothing that cannot be seen in the photos. Unfortunately there are people finding it necessary to dispose of their vintage cars at fire sale prices because of the economy. Better to dump the car fast than loose the house!

Jim

Guest Jonny88

Hello rocketraider thanks for your detailed reply. I am new to the Oldsmobile 88 and am doing as much research as possible before deciding on this car. Do you think it would be very difficult to find such cosmetic items as I had stated in the description on the original post? I do agree with you on the engine color. I have seen many olds with the green and yellow paint, is that what all rocket engines were painted in the 50s. I did see information on the Internet stating that olds high compression engines were pained red and low compression engines were painted green. I don't know if that holds true or not, please help me out. I also had see that you mentioned something about the electric fuel pump and rubber hoses that it is attached to. I know that because of the fuel pump the line will be under pressure, but only a few psi because of the carb, which should not be to bad. I am new to all of this but am a true hobbyist when it comes to old cars and want to learn more, I would appreciate you're help and anybody else's, thanks.

Back in '51 Olds did not have a high & low compression V8. All V8 engines were green.

What I noticed in the pics is the carpet is more than loose. That makes me wonder what is underneath it? I would want to inspect the undercarriage. I would also be checking the body with a magnetic device.

Even so, $4K is a more than good price.

Guest Jonny88

D Yaros, thanks for the info, were the rocket engines green in color with yellow lettering on the valve covers were it says "Oldsmobile Rocket"? I did notice that the carpet is very loose on the driver side, I will examine the underside and rocker panels thank for the great advice. I do have one question, what did you mean by using a magnetic device when examining the body? Could you go more in detail with it, Thanks.

IIRC 1951 88s would have had a rubber mat in the front and tight-loop carpet in the rear, so my guess is someone put full plush carpeting in it somewhere along the line, is why the carpet looks as it does. The LF sill plate missing contributes to that.

Oldsmobile|Cutlass|442|Hurst|Toronado|Parts -Fusick Automotive Products, Inc and download their "old Oldsmobiles" pdf catalog. They carry a lot of repro and some NOS pieces for these cars, and any mechanical part NAPA can't get, USA Parts Supply USA PARTS SUPPLY - Home is pretty good. That will give you an idea of availability.

All engines thru 1956 were green. 57-8 were gold, then 59-64 high compression engines were red, low compression were light green.

Looks like a deal to me, a great first old car that you can fix up a little here and there while driving and enjoying it. Indeed it is less glamorous than a convertible, but you can participate in the same old car show or cruise as the convertible guy for a fraction of the price. As mentioned, look the car over carefully, especially in the floors and trunk, and get a Fusick catalog ASAP to see what parts are available that you need. Good luck, Todd C

hello jonny88, this looks like a very solid car for the price, if you can't find other bumper horns, you can have these replated. fusick's has catalogs you can view online. even the original air cleaner can be located. 51-52 oldsmobiles are often overlooked, i think you'll have lots of fun driving and restoring this oldsmobile. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest Jonny88

Wow, I am amazed with the help that you guys have presented me with, I greatly appreciate it. Rocketraider, thank you for the two links to parts and olds manuals, this is something that I have been looking for. Thank you everyone for your knowledge.

I do have some questions for you guys if you could help.

This 51 Olds 88 is a standard model, that is what the owner says. I looked up some info about the standard models vs the super models. The owner says that olds made less 51 standard models than super during that year, some 250,000 or around that number. Can anyone shed any light on this question please? The car also has a 12 volt converted electric system, don't think it is original. This will be a project car for the next few years, I will add bit by bit. I am a big fan of originality, almost ocd about it.

Can anybody tell me if the exterior mirrors are original and in the correct position? I have seen several mirrors that have a curved shape such as the two on this 51 olds but none bolted on the upper area of the car like this one.

Could anyone also give some tips when examining the rocker panels on this car, I will need to make sure there is not any rust or rotting.

My next question, would it be a bad idea to change the electrical back to a original 6 volt system? I know that 12 volts are more efficient and can hold a greater charge.

My other question involves the electric fuel pump that is installed on the car. Can anyone tell me if this is a original item or if it is something that the owner installed him self. I did see a picture of a original fuel pump and it look quite different than the one in the picture. If this is not an original item that would be on the car, would it be a bad idea to eventually switch to an original nos or reproduction fuel pump?

I wanted to let you all know how much of a help you guys have been, and thanks for you're responses.

Jon

I saw previously your reference to this car being a standard model. I would not consider it a standard model. It is a Super 88. If you look at the data plate on the firewall, the model number should be 51-3669D. The D denote DeLuxe, which means Super 88. '51 was the first year for this new "B" body. The model below this one was the 88, what I would consider the standard model. It was only available early in the year. It used the old "A" body that the '50 88s used. I think they had a bunch of bodies left over that they wanted to use up. They were only available as 2-door and 4-door sedans. Some people refer to these as '51 88-As. It is hard to them apart from a '50. The 88-A was available in standard or DeLuxe trim. For '52, a new DeLuxe 88 came out below the Super 88. It used the Super 88's "B" body, but, in spite of the DeLuxe name, was a standard trimmed car. My grandparents had one of those.

Also, in '51, Oldsmobile only offered gray upholstery in sedan models. Dashboards were painted a two tone light and dark gray metallic. Holiday coupes got gray cloth with leather bolsters in a choice blue, green, red or black. Convertibles had full leather upholstery in the same 4 colors.

Reference has been made to the carpeting. Super 88's and 98s came with carpet simulated rubber front and rear. Gray in sedans, matched to the leather in Holidays and convertibles. I saw no mention of carpeting as an option. I find this hard to believe, as I had a '52 98 and it has carpeting, but '52 must have been the first year for it. I find that odd. 88-As came with a ribbed rubber mat in the front, carpet simulated rubber in the rear. Gray, naturally.

The mirrors are not correct for this car. They would have mounted at the beltline, like they do today. It would have been a round mirror, the base would have had a teardrop shape. Fusick may have reproductions of these. There was also an accessory adjustable spotlight with a mirror attached - the earliest remote mirror. That would have mounted through the windshield pillar at the beltline.

I've never changed a car from 6 to 12 volt, and I've never changed one back. But I know that '52 that I had was still 6 volt and it started fine.

The electric fuel pump is not original. It was probably added to help eliminate vapor lock. Or, the original pump failed altogether and they decided to just bypass it. The mechanical pump mounts in the front cover near the water pump. They are available and dependable. It is a dual action pump, meaning it will also provide vacuum for the windshield wipers. You may want to keep the electric pump, but reinstall it closer to the tank. Put it on a toggle switch and use it to provide fuel when you want to start her after she's been sitting a while. Or if she developes vapor lock while driving.

My final suggestion is to join the NAOC. Link below in my signature line.

Paul

The magnet test is simply to see how much metal/fiberglass the car has. Make sure the magnet is covered with a cloth, so as to not scratch the surface. Where there is no drag on the magnet, there is no metal. Back in the day all body parts were metal, so the presence of fiberglass indicates repair.

Guest Jonny88

Thanks Oldsfan for clearing up my confusion with this 88 model. After looking at some other pictures I noticed the different body style from early 51 to late 51.

When did Oldsmobile take off the front air vents below the headlights. Was it after the the model I am looking at?

I am thinking about changing back to the original fuel pump for this car, and also have found out that the vacuum on the fuel pump powers the windshield wipers. No doubt that it will be a tough job.

I will be looking at this car next Thursday, cant wait, I will check everything you all have been talking about. Thanks for all the information from all of you, I appreciate it.

And If anybody can give me an opinion on changing this car back to a NOS or reproduction 6 volt system I would appreciate it, thanks.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Thanks Oldsfan for clearing up my confusion with this 88 model. After looking at some other pictures I noticed the different body style from early 51 to late 51.

When did Oldsmobile take off the front air vents below the headlights. Was it after the the model I am looking at?

I am thinking about changing back to the original fuel pump for this car, and also have found out that the vacuum on the fuel pump powers the windshield wipers. No doubt that it will be a tough job.

I will be looking at this car next Thursday, cant wait, I will check everything you all have been talking about. Thanks for all the information from all of you, I appreciate it.

And If anybody can give me an opinion on changing this car back to a NOS or reproduction 6 volt system I would appreciate it, thanks.

In a general sense a properly done conversion from 6V to 12V will be much easier to maintain and less problematic. If you purchase this car I'd leave the electrical system alone if all the gauges and lights are working properly.

Of all the things about the given car that I would be concerned most about it would be the engine. Obviously it has been out of the car for some reason probably beyond the "Chevy" paint job it has. But what was the reason? Then the next question is it the original engine or a later version? You need to specifically know about any engine modifications should any major issues develop after you purchase, if you purchase. So knowing if it is a 303, 324, 371, or 394 is something you need to know.

Jim

In a general sense a properly done conversion from 6V to 12V will be much easier to maintain and less problematic. If you purchase this car I'd leave the electrical system alone if all the gauges and lights are working properly.

I agree with Jim about leaving it alone if it seems to work OK. Lots of people want to convert from 6V and I do not think it is generally necessary, but if it is already done I would not worry about changing back. The only function you have likely lost is the original radio. It still looks like a good buy to me, Todd C

Guest Jonny88

Jim, Thanks for your input on the engine. I figured the engine was painted the wrong color after you guys discussed correct green engine color for all Oldsmobile's through 1956. According to the seller this Old's 88 has a 303 ci V8. I am pretty sure that is the correct engine for this model from what I researched on the internet. Please correct me if I am wrong. This will be critical information that will have the impact as to whether or not I will buy this car, I want to get as close to original as possible. Thanks

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim, Thanks for your input on the engine. I figured the engine was painted the wrong color after you guys discussed correct green engine color for all Oldsmobile's through 1956. According to the seller this Old's 88 has a 303 ci V8. I am pretty sure that is the correct engine for this model from what I researched on the internet. Please correct me if I am wrong. This will be critical information that will have the impact as to whether or not I will buy this car, I want to get as close to original as possible. Thanks

Yes, a 303 would be the correct engine for the car. You still need to find out why it was taken out and what may have been done to it when it was out. I doubt if anyone would have pulled it just to paint it Chevy red.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
How do we know it was pulled, and not just painted in the car? In the enlarged picture, I think I see overspray on the firewall...

Paul I think you may be right about the over spray on the firewall upon closer examination. Over spray is even apparent on the carburetor base and fuel line going into the carburetor along with the transmission dipstick tube.

Jim

Guest Jonny88
Paul I think you may be right about the over spray on the firewall upon closer examination. Over spray is even apparent on the carburetor base and fuel line going into the carburetor along with the transmission dipstick tube.

Jim

I think you both are right about the red spray on the engine block, upon closer examination I do see the overspray on the firewall and fuel line to the carb. I will investigate the engine next thursday when I go and take a good look at the car. Thank you both.