thermostat housing what's the trick?

Don Hudd

Guest Mc_Reatta

I suggest you test you have the neck and block opening clean enough by inserting the neck into the block with out the thermostat, seal and no o ring on the neck to verify that the neck is easily inserted all the way into the block. If it won't easily fit in, there is still some clean up work to do most likely in the block.

Once you get it to the point it will easily fit into place, you can install the thermostat, seal and o ring with some lube and you should be able to get into place by using straight downward pressure so it doesn't try to cock That's where the screwdriver comes in handy to put pressure straight down onto the center of the neck.

I agree that the 35126 seal spec'ed for the Reatta does not seem to be a really good choice. It seems too small in diameter and too thick to really do the job.

While it will stretch wide enough to fit all the way down on the thermostat, it is much thicker than necessary, and prevents the neck from going completely down into the block to the flange. This causes the neck to cock to the side as the bolt is tightened which is not desirable. I once measured the gap between the bottom of the neck and the base of the opening, and it wasn't that much more that the thickness of the thermostat flange.

I would think the ideal gasket would be flat like the ones used on garden hose, just a little thicker that the gap between the bottom of the neck and the base of the opening to keep the thermostat in place and prevent any water from getting around the thermostat when it's closed.

I remember when thermostats used to come with a seal like that that. Even had a groove in it that the flange was placed into so that part of the seal was on each side of the thermostat. Anyone know how to find one now?

Guest squiretom

does a '91 have a different part without the O ring ?

the link indicates the part does not fit a '91.

does the '91 use a standard flat gasket ?

• 7 years later...
On 12/11/2010 at 3:29 PM, Don Hudd said:

also wonfering if anyone knows the part # for the o rings, I have fel-rp 35608 for neck and fel-pro 35126 for the seal. the new seal does not seam to fit, too small.

Thanks

I'm having this same problem.  I got the recommended original stat and gasket via Reatta owner store and is it those same parts... the fit is impossible, the gasket causes the tube to cock to one side.  It seems the gasket should be different (more flat) on one side, and/or the t-stat should have a recess.    

30 minutes ago, Fox W. said:

I'm having this same problem.  I got the recommended original stat and gasket via Reatta owner store and is it those same parts... the fit is impossible, the gasket causes the tube to cock to one side.  It seems the gasket should be different (more flat) on one side, and/or the t-stat should have a recess.    

This has came up before. It has been so long that I don't remember much about it and what solved the problem. There is a rubber "seal" that goes on top of the thermostat with the water neck pushing down on it to seal the thermostat. The o-ring goes around the waterneck to seal it. My '88 originally had another style that has a U shaped seal that goes around the thermostat flange to seal it. The photos below might be helpful..

post-30625-143138037008.jpg

thermostat_seal.jpg 

thermostat_periphrial_seal.jpgSeal goes around flange on this thermostat like was in my '88.

I've found various parts (PS cooler,  fnt sway bar, etc.) on my 89 that are typically on 88s, I believe my car was assembled in November 1988, and so it may be the 88 design.   I'm trying a few other parts I've found and will report back if any work better.

• Thanks 1

For me, the trick was to use 12337901 as Ronnie suggested above.   I found a bag of 9 on Ebay for $13.   These fit much better, they have one side that is flatter.    I have no leaks.