Most desirable colors on a 65 Riv

Guest Rob J

Uggg! Like asking who makes the best pizza. :D

Lots of great colors in 65. Here are my pics

From what I have experienced:

They don't call it Resale "Flame" Red for nothing

Regal Black

Burgundy Mist

Turquoise Mist (probably the best of the lighter colors)

Verde Green

Midnight blue

Some of the least desireable:

Bamboo cream

Shell Beige

Artic White

Astro Blue

Sahara Mist

Black interiors seem most desireable unless its a color like midnight blue where black does no compliment. Color can be a big deal when it comes to selling. I've seen nice cars that were a drab color combo get little to no interest on ebay while other cars with multiple issues but a more pleasing color go nuts in the bidding. I didn't used to think color made more than maybe a 10% difference in value but I've seen enough cases where (sometimes) it can be 30%. Its a known fact that humans will overlook deficiencies in a car if its a pleasing color to them. Its that emotion thing.

What are the most desirable colors on the 65? Which colors typically have the highest re-sale value?

How about the least desirable?

Rob.

The most desireable color is the one that you most desire. For me it's a tie between Turquoise Mist over black cloth, Astro Blue over blue cloth, Seafoam Green over green cloth, Black over black cloth and Flame Red over black cloth (all with vinyl tops, of course)

If you buy a car and dont like the color, then change it.

Won't changing the color affect the car's value. I'm not too sure how it works in the Riv world, but in the Corvette world if your Body ID tag has different paint and trim numbers than what's on the car, it greatly affects the value. Most corvette buyer's would prefer it to be original with a less desirable color, than not original but with a desirable color.

Since I'm looking at purchasing a GS, and planning on restoring it to top shape, I want to maintains the car's value and appeal as much as possible.

Color choice depends on what you intend to do with the car. Are you building it to show in a concourse restoration class, to drive and enjoy with the occasional show, or just to resell? How you answer that question will determine what you need to look for in a car to restore. If you are going to build it for pure resale, yes, color affects price. See the resale red comment above. If you are going to do an nth degree restoration for show, then like your Vette, the color needs to match the cowl tag, or points are deducted or you get moved into a different show class entirely. If you are going to keep and enjoy the car without regard for resale value, then you paint it a color you like. Doesn't matter if you start with a Bamboo Cream car if you really wanted Verde Green, as you building the car you want. Your car, your choice. But you need to have a good answer to this question before you buy a car to restore, regardless of make or model.

I can't add much to what's been said previously, but if you'll pull out your old copies of the Riview and read Darwin's articles on "Options not included," you can find out the most popular colors for both interior and exterior.

Ask yourself this. Would the color really make that much difference if I found a really nice car? Take the car you found in St. Louis. How much would you have had to spend to make it concours? Probably a whole lot more than buying a really nice one that was not your first color choice.

Besides, isn't it true that cops are always on the look out for red cars?

If you're going to keep the car and don't have plans for resale, who besides a professional judge would even look at the cowl tag to see if the car was painted the original color. If you're worried about points, won't you have to have the car painted with the origninal acrylic lacquer paint rather than having it look really nice using a modern base coat / clear coat method?

Me thinks you're getting to wound up in the minutia of a car you don't even own yet. If you set your sights too high, you may never find yourself a car. Then the whole dream has gone up in smoke. That would be even more disappointing.

Ed

I here ya Ed. I'm not trying to get too wrapped up into it, I just want to educate myself so I know what works, and what doesn't with these cars

. My intention is to own a very nice, restored to OEM standards Riviera GS. One that I can enjoy with my kids, family. One that I can take to the occasional show and event, and won't be embarrassed. I loved my previous car that I just recently sold, and built it from scratch myself. (65 Cobra Replica) Problem was, I didn't use the car as much as I wanted since it had no top, no AC, and only 2 seats. One of the main reasons the Riviera really calls me, is the fact that I feel it is a car I could use and enjoy more than I did the Cobra. It has 4 seats, AC, Automatic, and a roof. They are not a dime a dozen like Camaro's Mustangs, ect (even thought I love those cars) I love the styling, and I love the combination of muscle and luxury. I doubt I'd get into concours judging, not really my thing. But, most importantly, I want to invest my money wisely. I don't want to end up having ten's of thousands more into a car than what it is worth, regardless if I plan to sell it or not. My intention is not to restore one and sell, but you never know what life throws at you. So with that in mind, I want a car that if I had to sell, things would be in order to maximize it's re-sale value and appeal.

And to add, I honestly don't like Red on this car, and I actually like Bamboo Cream, Seafoam Green, and Sahara Mist. Go figure.

Rob.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Guest Gee_Rydes

So...what hurts the value of a 65 GS more:

engine replaced or color changed?

Personally, I would buy a non GS. Paint it a stock 65 color you like, and drive it.

If I came across another GS someday, I think I would have a hard time changing it color-wise from the way it was built and it would certainly have to have the original engine. Not because of my own insanity, but because of the resale value declining due to that SPECIAL buying audience that IS willing to pay big money for ONLY a STOCK ORIGINAL GS.

How many cars have you said you'll never sell and then something happens in your life you didn't expect?

How many cars have you said you'll never sell and then something happens in your life you didn't expect?

Exactly, which is why I ask all these questions.

Won't changing the color affect the car's value. I'm not too sure how it works in the Riv world, but in the Corvette world if your Body ID tag has different paint and trim numbers than what's on the car, it greatly affects the value. Most corvette buyer's would prefer it to be original with a less desirable color, than not original but with a desirable color.

Since I'm looking at purchasing a GS, and planning on restoring it to top shape, I want to maintains the car's value and appeal as much as possible.

To me (and I suspect many others here), a color change so long as it's correct for a '65 won't affect a car's value. What more important is how well the car presents itself and how well it's optioned. My car was originally Sahara mist over tan vinyl--a combo that I do not care for. Today, it's Turquouse Mist over Black cloth. Yes, it was a pain in the tail changing the color, because I disassembled the enitre car including the interior, but now it's a color that I enjoy.

My car is not numbers matching, but it does have an LX-coded motor. That's what's important. After almost 50 years, there's gonna be cars that don't have a numbers matching block. The most imprtant feature of a car is that you start with a solid foundation. I know my car's history going back over 20 years and I know and trust the guy I bought it from who had it for quite some time and I believe he bought the car from another member.

Bottom line, don't buy junk.

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

To me (and I suspect many others here), a color change so long as it's correct for a '65 won't affect a car's value.

Patrick,

I with ya. I used to subscribe to the "paint color must match the body plate code" theory to get the highest resale. After I started watching Barrett Jackson as well as tracking completed ebay auctions I changed my mind. Seeing stunning examples of rare cars not be adversely affected because the color was changed to something more pleasing to the general public, I could no longer ignore the facts in front of me.

A car that is most appealing to the largest pool of buyers because its a color deemed most pleasing by the largest number of people interested, that works in the sellers favor making it more in demand therefore pushing the price upwards.

I sold a BCA Gold Senior 67 Riv GS that was white with a black top. The new owner wanted it to be all black with no vinly top so the car was stripped down in a 1000 pieces for a color change to black. You can bet that black car's market value will be increased even though it doesn't match the data plate. As nice as it was before, that car will be stunning in black having significantly higher curb appeal.

The 66 project I'm working on now was originally a gold car. Gold isn't bad but its not quite as pleasing as some of the other colors available that year. I felt there were four 66 colors I liked better as well as being ones that could help increase its appeal to buyers someday down the road when I need retirement money. My wife and I both agreed on Shadow Turquoise. To give you an idea how strongly I feel about color, this is coming from a person who frets over making sure the original correctly date coded master cylinder is used and steering arms are restored with the correct color, size, and shape of paint splotches to match what was done on the assembly line. Seems odd I'd change the body color but I have seen enough facts to know I'm better off both for my own satisfaction during ownership and when the time comes to sell.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

For those of you who frequent this forum and did not get a chance to see what Jason brought to the ROA meet in Harrisburg/Hershey this past summer, let me tell you that when he says that he obsesses over the most minute detail it's an understatement.

Jason brought a Chassis w/ engine to Hershey. Every piece on the car looked as though it was being installed as new in 1966. He even went so far as to pull the drum off of one of the back brakes. Every shoe, spring, clip, pin, and washer looked like he had bought it brand new then taken it home and detailed it.

If he's telling you that color matters - PLEASE believe him for he know of what he speaketh.

Ed

(If Jason were a BCA judge looking at my car, I'd be sweating bullets.)

Interesting thread. As a member of a number of classic car forums, the range of opinions on this topic is always entertaining.

I for one, believe metallic colors in particular compliment the first generation Riviera's crisp, elegant lines and advanced design concept.

I happen to own a 64 in PP Teal Mist, which I slowly and painfully discovered had waaaaaaay more rust & bondo than I would have liked. Now that I can see the end of the tunnel - trunk pan, rear panel, floor pan sections, back lite sheet metal sections replaced - with just a few minor spots remaining, I'm glad I stuck with it.

Had it been say, a white code car, I doubt I would have stuck with the necessary repairs and would have used it as a parts car instead. So, I guess I am one of those who insists that the color matches the body plate.

It'll take longer, but why not narrow down your choice of acceptable original colors to a few (you named some already), and look for a solid car with a data plate that matches?

OK Riviera people: Some very good points here. Here's my take........

If you are building a car so it might have better resale value, FORGET IT!!!. Old cars are like going into the Burger King. You go in wanting something, you get (hopefully) what you want and it's over until the next time....like a vacation.Your wallet is a bit lighter. The Rivieras that bring big money are well done resto mods with crate BB Chebs.

Matching numbers is all mythology. It sucks the life out of everything related to this hobby. Remember, a 65 Riv is still a 65 Riv even if it's got a 6 in it! The motor needs to run good and be somewhat reliable which covers several issues like safety and enjoyment.

Color is always the owner's choice. There never will be an incorrect color.

There are many people who obsess on the most minute details. They are not wrong by any means. Just make sure that you know what really works for you. I have called converts "Monkey cars" for years. Why? Monkey see monkey do. They are not by any means the right body style for everyone. A convertible person has the top down when it's sunny and 40 degrees!

Basically, learn what's out there and make your own decision that's right for you! Mitch

Guest Gee_Rydes

If we were dealing with a normal V8, I might be able to more readily agree with engine swaps.

But, TO ME, a Riv without a Nail (ANY NAIL ) is like a kiss without a squeeze.

I may not be the normal guy, but when I see a First Gen with something other than a Nail, I let out a little groan.

Just my opinion, and I respect Mitch's opinion as well.

I have to agree with Dave on that one. Every car I've ever built or restored, I've typically tried to keep them as close to the original as possible. And, come resale time, they have sold quick. When I see tricked out Riv's, or ones with the 22" wheels on them, I begin to feel sick to my stomach. I have seen some tastefully done custom's, but they are usually few, and far in between.

Rob.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and different strokes for different folks !! Your car, and your choice of colour(s). While its always preferable to keep it as original as possible, if you don't like it, why bother? Chances are, you are going to live with that colour choice for quite some time to come, so why not make it one that you will enjoy ! (... jmho.) :)

Interesting thread.

I for one, believe metallic colors in particular compliment the first generation Riviera's crisp, elegant lines and advanced design concept.

A lot of good opinions here but the quote above can be considered fact. The late great Raymond Loewy famous 20th century industrial designer of many products including automobiles, stated and I paraphrase: " the best color to show off a car's body curves and sharp lines are light metallic colors". He mentioned colors with silver bases such as silver blues, champagnes, etc.

I also agree, it is not a first gen Riv to me without a nailhead. That engine is probably one of my favorite things about my '64. I even like the green color.

OK Riviera People I completely agree about the kiss w/o the squeeze. A 63-4-5 (the years I'm interested in) is a different car with out that Buick engine. I'll take it a step further...A 63-4-5 Riv is a different car with OUT the factory exhaust spaghetti. For some reason when that nailhead has excellent compression and is REALLY hitting on all 8, the factory exhaust makes the car not only quieter, it does seem to run much better.

I love these cars and the original connection for me was much more "stock" (stock, custom, competition). I did purchase the "Custom Car Yearbook" in 63 and 64. This book featured a very comprehensive build of a 63 Riviera known as the Villa Riviera by it's builder, the one and only GB! As a matter of fact, when I first drove to Los Angeles in 1973 my first stop was his place on Wilshire and Lankersham! I seem like a purist but perhaps a very forgiving purist. Mitch

OK Riviera People" I forgot one thing about color........it goes in and out of style like any fashion. I remember once having an 86 Summerset and selling it at the auction. It was a medium green 2 door and I recall that it was super clean lo mileage with nice equipment. I thought it would be a real hot car and sell for all the money right away.

Several wholesalers who I was friendly with had also tracked this car. I asked them why wasn't this car selling? They all replied that it was that crummy green. I finally after several weeks sold the car for not great a price.

The very next week I purchased a copperish-red one from Chrysler credit. It was a repo that was rode hard and put away wet. The transmission had broken away from the mounting bracket which spelled "new tranny". I detailed the living daylights out of it and it looked fantastic. Selling it with the yellow light cautioning the buyer of the transmission defect, it brought sever hundred dollars more than the pristine one. I was certain that the color was the reason.

Today silver and gold looking cars top the charts. Brown? Are you kidding me?

Mitch