FYI VEHICLE TRANSPORTATION

Mickey McChesney

I recently purchased a vehicle in Mich. and needed it transported to my home in Virginia Beach. I contracted with a company called " ** **** *********". I requested, contracted and paid for an enclosed tow of my vehicle. The day my vehicle was to be picked up I was leaving the country on vacation and had made prior arrangements to have the car delivered to a friend. That morning I received a call from my friend saying he had been notified that the pick up was being made with and OPEN tow. A call to "A1" failed to resolve the issue and I flew out to Europe.

Upon my return I contacted "A1" to attempt to be credited with the difference between the cost of an OPEN vs CLOSED tow ($200); their response was as expected. "Sorry, you should have cleared that up at pick up" I explained that I was on my way to Europe, but that made no difference.

Bottom line! I would never use this company again and would never recommend them!

Mickey

PM me and I will give you the name of the company!

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

I had one heck of a time getting my car transported. I went the route of contacting many many different companies, only to later find that they were all auto "brokers". I finally found a good transport company (thanks to the members here) called "cruzin-chrome" who not only is the driver, but the owner as well. If I ever need another car transported again, I will never go with an auto brokers.

I had a similar thing happen once when I couldn't guarantee use of a forklift on a delivery, so they required charging extra for a lift gate on the truck. Truck arrives and the lift gate is broken and the crate was busted in transit. Wound up having to go jump start my neighbors unreliable forklift, anyway, and then they wouldn't reimburse me for the extra charge that was intended to avoid all of that in the first place. The truck driver got pissed when he realized I was writing on the receipt what had happened before I would sign it and let him go.

When it comes to on time pick up of autos, and I have moved 5 running autos with the "big guys", I have found they only lie when their mouths are moving. I am still waiting for one to move since Hershey... That said, they all got here or there when they finally showed up!!! Karl

On my return I contacted "A1" to attempt to be credited with the difference between the cost of an OPEN vs CLOSED tow ($200); their response was as expected. "Sorry, you should have cleared that up at pick up" I explained that I was on my way to Europe, but that made no difference.

Bottom line! I would never use this company again and would never recommend them!

It sounds like a complaint into the Better Business Bureau might be in order. It might not change your status, but you'll still be filing a complaint which can be viewed online.

Five years ago, my dad and I bought a Ford Bronco while we were at the AGNM in Northglenn, Colorado. That was when we had our first experience with a broker and it too was less than desirable.

We were told that the truck would be delivered in two weeks, and it ended up being six. At the time I had started to make arrangements through Dan Binger for him to bring the truck to Hershey for me, but I ended up getting the truck before Hershey went down.

As fate would have it, the guy who ran the truck was actually a decent guy, but the broker was a jerk. I don't know where it went, but the trucker gave me a business card where we could call him direct and save money.

I think all of these brokers are shady.

Brokers typically are working for the "skim"...The skim is the difference between what the person who actually delivers the car is going to get paid vs. what he will charge you. Their objective is to maximize the skim, so whatever has to be told to you to get, keep or otherwise get your money in their pocket is what they will do.

My 2 cents.

Bob

I had a customer ship a car thorough a broker rather than going direct to the company that I recommended. All arrangements were taken care of by him. The broker wound up hassling me for his commission. I seriously doubt my customer would have stiffed him, and pick-up was already made at that point. It later occurred to me that that was probably also a "skim" itself, with this goober calling everyone connected hoping maybe to cash in on the confusion of multiple parties involved thinking someone might pass him an extra check. He sounded like a total illiterate, anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I know that I'm out the $200 and epecting the broker to compensate me was a dream.

Did you happen to pay with a credit card? If so, file a claim with your credit card company with supporting documentation. They're usually pretty good if you can prove that you're in the right.