Taillight question

Guest re-reatta

Guest re-reatta

Are the baffles, (the black rubber pieces), that are on each end of the taillight still available ??? Does anyone have a part # for these pieces ??? Also, is there a comprehensive list of part #'s for Reattas available ???

I ordered a set of these about a 18 months ago (officially called "closeout baffles"), they were still available through VPI (Vintage Parts) at the time. They were "ancient" NOS in GM "paper envelope" packaging that was all yellowed from age. The parts were in good shape, but a little hardened from age.

I'd have to go digging for the part number, my master parts manual is not immediately accessible (in a box in storage) but maybe someone else will beat me to the punch.

FWIW, the only complete parts listing is the Buick E platform parts book, includes Rivi and Reatta in a loose hole punched edition to be placed in a large binder. I got mine off ebay some time back, they pop up from time to time. Try to get a 1991 edition, so it has the revisions for all model years. Sometime shortly after 91, it looks like they stopped publishing parts books, and everything was done on the computer.

These are of somewhat limited use anymore though, as many parts are discontinued, or their numbers have been superseded so many times that the published numbers no longer cross reference to anything current. Still handy to have for the blowup diagrams showing parts that are difficult figure out (as in a multi-piece part that may require more than one item for a complete assembly like cradle bushings or suspension related parts).

KDirk

I got awhile back, I got two discs with the ENTIRE GM parts listings on them, but they won't play on my computer.

They're marked Bell & Howell publishing services; epar, electronic parts system.

Anybody know what program is necessary to operate these discs?

They are official GM.

Edited by harry yarnell
syntax (see edit history)

It is simple Padgett....I asked once and it took forever to get the password...BUT I didn't write the password down like a dummy...I remember it was a simple password but that is it. I have since requested the password from Tom again - several times - I never get a response?????

Nic

Harry, in regard to the CD's:

The discs you have are the "interim" parts catalog that GM dealers used before everything was done by internet. Bell & Howell developed this system for GM, including a special PC based computer [had a Bell & Howell nameplate on it] with a large magazine type CD player that held all discs at once, so there was no swapping involved. I remember seeing this rather impressive setup at the dealer I used to frequent (was closed during the GM restructuring) until they went to internet based parts catalogs.

I figure the computer had a special e-viewer type application made for the job, and only that program can access the data on the CD's. No idea where (or if) you could even get a copy now since it was for GM SPO internal use only AFAIK.

Guessing the computers were culled by GM when the use of this system was dropped, and probably destroyed by whatever the licensing agreement was at the time. If you could find one it would be neat to have the use of the electronic catalog, though it would be rather outdated by know.

KDirk

Padgett,

You are correct of course. I should have clarified that the Bell & Howell system was the first fully electronic GM parts catalog system. This was implemented as the first move away from paper parts books and microfilm systems that were previously in use even into the early/mid 90's at some dealers. New CD's were issued by Bell & Howell when updates needed to be made to the catalog, making it a bit less cumbersome and expensive than the paper/film systems. Still not optimal though.

Now with all dealers having high-speed internet connections, the SPO catalog and ordering system is all online, with updates done transparently by GM corporate. This beats the heck out of having to maintain and publish a library of discs and distribute them to every dealer parts dept.

I don't know what was invested in this CD based system, but it wasn't in use that long (maybe a decade?) before the transition to the internet based parts catalog. It was a neat setup in it's day, but like so many other things was obsoleted in relatively short order. Come to think of it, Alldata did the same thing. They used to publish CD's (and for a while DVD's) with the full service library and a "dongle" that acted as a security key so they could only be used on one computer at a time.

Their system is now all internet based. This also keeps older CD/DVD copies that may be sufficient for the amateur mechanic from being kept past their license date for ongoing use. None of the data is stored locally, it is all on Alldata's server. So, they still get the money, but you are just leasing the access to it. If your subscription lapses, you are cut off and have no further access to the data.

KDirk

It is interesting. The PC came out in 1981 and almost immediately a little program called "UNP.BAS" was available to turn of the bit that made other programs unreadable.

Dongles, burned holes in disks, encryption, SMURFs, all have been tried and failed. Online control is the only way that works. For every other protection mechanism, programs exist.

Where I worked, before I retarded, we used Allen Bradley PLCs, the SLC 500 mostly, to control industrial machinery of all types. The very expensive RS-Logix500 ladder logic software, used to program the PLC, required you to have a 3½" floppy "key disk" to activate the software on a laptop or PC.

You could copy and install the software on as many computers as you wished but you had to use the key disk to "move your license/permission" to use the software from one computer to another in order to run the program. That way you could only use one copy of the software at a time no matter how many computers the software was installed on.

You couldn't copy the key disk using normal methods. It had some type of proprietary format or something. I know a lot of people who took the key disk home and tried to copy it but failed. I never tried. The company I worked for had a strict policy against copying software and I didn't want to get fired. I'm sure AB uses a more advanced system now to limit access to the software.

I agree, once a licence is agreed to or copyright is established, you must follow the rules laid down by the owner. Once a copyright expires though, free use is available.

Was just pointing out that I have never seen a software based (and a dongle is controlled by software) copy protection sceme that could not be circumvented by software.

Encryption with an out-of-channel key entry is the only real answer.

As my post above explains, I can not get a password for reatta.net for some reason...Tom sent it to me once, but I didn't write it down like a fool - I can not sign on to reatta.net, so guess I am "bolted". Can someone get the part # for the rubber end piece on the tail light assy please?

Thanks,

Nic

I looked up "Tail lamp closeout baffles" in the 86-93 Riviera/Reatta Parts manual and it states the part numbers for 88-91 Reattas as follows: RH = 16508276 and LH = 16508275. I don't know if these numbers have changed over the years...hope this helps.