1962 Oldsmobile Starfire Hupcaps

Guest garyd57olds

Guest garyd57olds

I am looking for decent set of 1962 Oldsmobile Hubcaps with the clips

that hold the caps to the wheel. Please call cell 203-870-5248 or email

gvecchio@sbcglobal.net.

I have a :) nice set of 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 poverty hubcaps for sale with

the trim rings........ Thanks Gary

Guest Jim_Edwards
Go to ebay type in Oldsmobile hubcaps you will find quite a few. Clips Fusick should have them, but they ain't cheap.

ED

It's gotten to where a decent set of hubcaps even on ebay aren't exactly cheap either. Most of late need a repaint. There's a full set on ebay now supposedly NOS for $800.00, which I doubt since there isn't any paint between the ribs and the backsides look as if there may be paint transfer from Garnet red wheels.

There are others now on ebay, just not a full set of one color.

Jim

An NOS service replacement wheelcover will not be painted. One of the essential service tools from 1958-63 was the brass mask to paint a service replacement deluxe wheelcover. Fellow in Greensboro NC had one for 63 and that thing went all over the country. And it always came back to him.

'Course, if it has evidence of being mounted on a wheel, different story.

Guest Jim_Edwards
An NOS service replacement wheelcover will not be painted. One of the essential service tools from 1958-63 was the brass mask to paint a service replacement deluxe wheelcover. Fellow in Greensboro NC had one for 63 and that thing went all over the country. And it always came back to him.

'Course, if it has evidence of being mounted on a wheel, different story.

Learn something new just about everyday and a dealer painting replacement hubcaps is not anything I would have considered being a practice, particularly with the '62 spinners. Of all the Starfires and 98s I've personally seen with those hubcaps they were Garnet Red (by far the most common), White, or black and not necessarily on a car of the same color, as even evidenced by advertising materials of the time. Never seen a set painted "Surf Green" or "Sheffield Mist" for a couple of examples.

Edited by Jim_Edwards
spelling (see edit history)

Couple of things to add here.

I did buy a set of '62 spinners at Hershey a few years back that had the Willow Mist (light green metallic) accents; that was the color my Dad's '62 Starfire Coupe was. They're hanging in the garage, have lots of road-rash on them.

I know there was a guy named Bob Dotseth out in Iowa who had a brass template for the '62s; haven't seen him in years, hope he's doing ok.

OK, a little secret here. There is a guy who had his son develop a computer program that matched the '62 color chips with adhesive decals that perfectly fit into the grooves of the hubcaps. Thought it would be tacky upon first impression, but got a free sample, and damn, they fit (and look) perfect. Color match is near 100% as well (yes, I, too, have the Garnet Mist maroon metallic ones).

Took me about three hours to do a set of four hubcaps, and only took a little time to get the hang of it. They are very forgiving as well; actually was able to peel it off the hubcap once or twice to re-align it more perfectly. Have had them on for five years now, and they are as sharp as they ever have been.

Can supply more details if send me a PM.

Mike

I am looking for decent set of 1962 Oldsmobile Hubcaps with the clips

that hold the caps to the wheel. Please call cell 203-870-5248 or email

gvecchio@sbcglobal.net.

I have a :) nice set of 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 poverty hubcaps for sale with

the trim rings........ Thanks Gary

Do you have a photo of a cap that you need? I have a zillion caps, very inexpensive. John

Bob D also had a Sunset Mist 62 that made me melt every time I saw it. Sold him a rear defog for that car probably 25 years ago.

I really wish they'd offer the 62 diecast in Sunset Mist. It would be on my shelf in a skinny minute.

Back to OT, those of you with 62's know that those trim rings Gary has ain't exactly easy to find either.

Glenn, love those metallic offerings for '62. I bought three Starfire die-casts when they came out a couple of years back; one I kept Garnet Mist, one I (of course) painted the roof black to go with the rest of the car (hey, gotta have "me" and "mini-me", so to speak). The third one my buddy and I was toying with getting a can of color-matched Willow Mist paint so it would resemble my Dad's '62. Not sure if we could do anything with getting the seats changed from red to fawn, but hey.

Funny, I also noticed some of the mid-'90s Ford Probes had colors available that matched some of the '62 Olds paint chips, or at least came close; back then I saw a couple green and pink metallic ones in town.

Another secret--I found a good match for the orange-ish paint for the "rocket" design on the center of the caps that were offered for '62 was, of all things, Chevy orange-red engine paint. Seems to lay down different on the caps than they do on the block of an actual 283, for instance...

Never seen a set painted "Surf Green" or "Sheffield Mist" for a couple of examples.

Factory painted wheel covers were available in:

(Provincial) White

Silver (Sheffield Mist)

Red (Garnet Mist)

Green (Willow Mist)

Blue (Wedgewood Mist)

Fawn (Sahara Mist)

Very early in production, maybe for only a week or two, they were also available in Royal Mist (maroon). They were cancelled right after production started. Who knows if any were even made.

Shortly after introduction, Heather Mist body paint was discontinued and replaced by Chariot Red. From that point on, Chariot Red wheel covers were also available.

I believe the silver wheel covers were the default if no color was specified on the order sheet.

The Sunset Mist and Cameo Cream wheel covers shown in the sales brochure were not available from the factory, but I guess if you wanted to spend the money for a set of accessory wheel covers and have the dealer paint them, they'd do it for you. I think that template was more for replacing damaged single wheel covers than it was for anything else. I used to have one of those brass wheel cover templates. I bought it at Lansing in '02. Looked like more trouble than it was worth. I sold it to Vinny Carulli in NY. I guess he still has it. Sometimes I wish I had kept it, but I doubt I ever would have used it. I bought a set of those decals and they worked out fine.

Paul

Hmmm... what'd you use for a boot?

My parent's had a white convertible with a garnet interior. Wonder how hard it is to remove that body trim for painting???

Paul

I had to sacrifice a ERTL 1962 Pontiac Catalina just for the rubber boot...

Trim looks clued on might snap the moldings removing, so take your time, go slow

Guest Jim_Edwards
Factory painted wheel covers were available in:

(Provincial) White

Silver (Sheffield Mist)

Red (Garnet Mist)

Green (Willow Mist)

Blue (Wedgewood Mist)

Fawn (Sahara Mist)

Very early in production, maybe for only a week or two, they were also available in Royal Mist (maroon). They were cancelled right after production started. Who knows if any were even made.

Shortly after introduction, Heather Mist body paint was discontinued and replaced by Chariot Red. From that point on, Chariot Red wheel covers were also available.

I believe the silver wheel covers were the default if no color was specified on the order sheet.

The Sunset Mist and Cameo Cream wheel covers shown in the sales brochure were not available from the factory, but I guess if you wanted to spend the money for a set of accessory wheel covers and have the dealer paint them, they'd do it for you. I think that template was more for replacing damaged single wheel covers than it was for anything else. I used to have one of those brass wheel cover templates. I bought it at Lansing in '02. Looked like more trouble than it was worth. I sold it to Vinny Carulli in NY. I guess he still has it. Sometimes I wish I had kept it, but I doubt I ever would have used it. I bought a set of those decals and they worked out fine.

Paul

Paul, I remember you mentioning those decals but don't recall if you mentioned where they were from. Could you enlighten us?

Jim