EBay "Original in Every Detail"

DLynskey

An amusing Ebay Item -- a "1926 Chevrolet Superior Coupe.. beautifully restored.. original in every detail".

Chevrolet : Superior V: eBay Motors (item 190456232379 end time Oct-23-10 09:40:02 PDT)

It's a Chevrolet, I'll give them that. But a 1927 (not 1926) a Capital (not Superior) a cabriolet (not a coupe). It has a 1928 engine, incorrect paint, a painted radiator shell, top and upholstery in poor condition and many other problems.

Well, it is Ebay.

Don

I don't know Chevies, Don, but I would call that a sport coupe or a soft top coupe. If Chevy didn't have a harder top coupe I think it would be OK to call this a coupe. Cabriolet is the name for a convertible coupe but these door tops ,windshield posts, and top are fixed. Other than that I agree with you but Ebay is famous for this. I give up trying to correct people. Every car with an Earl Sheib paint job is Fully restored to factory specs, every car is a deluxe whatever, and every car is the buy of a lifetime.

I don't know Chevies, Don, but I would call that a sport coupe or a soft top coupe.

You're right, Dave, that strictly speaking it is a coupe. A cabriolet is normally a convertible which this is not. However, Chevy bought out this model which they called a "Sport Cabriolet" in late 1927. The "Sport Cabriolet" had a lower top than the coupe and the top looked like it should fold (in 1928 it did fold) It had a swing open windshield, a soft rear window like a convertible and a rumble seat which the "Coupe" lacked. Inside the top bows were exposed in the "Cabriolet" to resemble a convertible whereas the coupe had a normal full headliner. The "Sport Cabriolet is actually a lot rarer and more desirable than the more common "Coupe".

Don

Guest billybird

I see things like that quite frequently on Ebay. I've noticed a lot of people use the word "restored" rather loosely. Like if it don't have a Chevy 350 and automatic, she's original. A lot of times I see a full blown street rod advertised as completely restored. It seems people have trouble distinguishing the words restored, rebuilt, redone,fixed up and worked on all confused with one another.

I, too, have given up on trying to explain to people what the words "original," "restored," and "survivor" mean. As a writer, I am very precise with my language, and it is a source of never-ending frustration. Now that I have worked in the old car industry for a while, I've seen everyone from dealers to experienced hobbyists misusing these terms, pretty much rendering them useless. Here are the current definitions:

Original now means anything from untouched since new to "pretty much like I think it might have been sometime in the past."

Restored now means "I put in some work to fix it, but I didn't really care if it was accurate or well done."

Survivor now means "See this here bolt? I never even touched it during the restoration to original."