Auburn speedster question

mercer09

I know the prices of the speedsters have gone through the roof over the years. Many folks have built the same from sedans. My question is- is there someone specifically who sells repro bodies for these that aren't fiberglass, but built authentically as to the originals?

Always wanted an original, but don't expect to ever be able to afford one.

To my knowledge there is no commercially available steel bodies. There have been a few made by individuals as very nice quality reproductions. If you are going to build one you will end up with a ton of money in it. At Hershey 06 a fiberglass replica with original drivetrain instruments chassis, etc, sold for 70k. This car was impossible to tell from a real one. Cost to build would be at least 3 times that. My advice is to buy a decent coupe since the price is 20% of the speedster.

Classic car dealer John Pascucci out of CT has an interesting pair of Auburns for sale, a speedster without it's original drivetrain (I htink now running a flathead Ford?) and a sedan for a doner car. Even without the drivetrain the speedster has a neat history. He is a Hershey regular and I would not be surprised to see the pair there. I have no idea of the price but it sure seems like a cool project. Hate to see a decent closed car sacrificed, though.

http://www.johnnypsclassiccars.com/Car15z.html

So here is a question - not all Auburns are Full Classics, correct? But I assume all eligible for ACD club/tours/activities?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
added link (see edit history)

I'm looking for an Auburn Salon Sedan so if you see one, or even a body that has been removed, let me know. I think it's a bit of a shame that so many good closed cars have been cut up and converted, but understand why it has been done. As they say 38 Auburn speedsters were built and I've seen all 200 of them.

If you really think you want to build one why not chat with this gentleman:

AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB :: View topic - Two 1931 Auburn 898As for Sale - Speedster & Four Door

The price has been reduced to $35k for both cars.

Justin

Classic car dealer John Pascucci out of CT has an interesting pair of Auburns for sale, a speedster without it's original drivetrain (I htink now running a flathead Ford?) and a sedan for a doner car. Even without the drivetrain the speedster has a neat history. He is a Hershey regular and I would not be surprised to see the pair there. I have no idea of the price but it sure seems like a cool project. Hate to see a decent closed car sacrificed, though.

JohnnyPsClassicCars

So here is a question - not all Auburns are Full Classics, correct? But I assume all eligible for ACD club/tours/activities?

All the 8 cylinder Auburns are classics. I don't think John is actually selling that Speedster.

If a complete body is included, the $35K for both cars doesn't sound that outrageous......still a lot of work, of course, and with the cost of chrome and paint and upholstery, you'd better be able to do some of it yourself.....but an interesting project.....

If you are looking for a New Metal 1931-1933 Auburn Speedster body you need to look no farther than D&D Classic Automobile Restoration, www.ddclassic.com They are located in Covington, Ohio.

If you are familiar with their work you know it is Top Shelf. If not visit their very informative website. These are the Guys that recreated the 1931 Cord L-29 LeGrande Speedster that is displayed in the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum. See their video http://www.ddclassic.com/l_29_cord.html

I thought this might be helpful,

Good Luck!

Mark Tyra / www.auburnspeedsters.com