Controversial Posts

LINC400

I went to look at a thread I was involved in, and once again 6+ pages are deleted. Anybody else getting tired of everything always being deleted? I agree with deleting posts with name calling, insulting others opinions, political ramblings, etc. But I do not think entire threads of 5-6 pages need to be deleted when there is something offensive on page 7 only. Being a moderator is a thankless job that gets nothing but grief. Some moderators issue warnings if a post maybe headed out of hand or send PM's stating your post was deleted or watch it, or simply delete one offensive comment. I agree with that. But it seems that others simply delete entire threads if they don't like it or think that maybe, possibly, perhaps, sometime in the future someone might possibly be offended. And it is done without any comments or warnings. I don't think that only one person's judgement should prevail over a bunch of people that were enjoying a post. That is what I come here for, lively, civilized discussions. It has gotten to the point that I wonder if it is worth posting anything because it will probably eventually get deleted. That is really not a good reflection on the forum. I think there should be some sort of guidelines for deleting posts. I suppose this will be deleted as well, but it would be nice to see if any others agree before delete happy fingers get to it.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

i agree with you.... but, better watch it... fear the censor. they may have different standards than others. i'm concerned that '39 plymouth' will be 'moved' and totally disappear into the twilight zone. this IS a great forum btw. thanks!

Edited by mrspeedyt
great forum! (see edit history)

Linc;

This is post 100 for me and I have been involved with posts being deleted twice. Both times, I got an e-mail from the moderator doing the deleting explaining his reasons and asking for understanding. These folks are volunteers in a totally thankless job. I appreciate what they do even if I don't always completely agree with the reasoning behind it. They have accepted the responsibility for maintaining the civility and best interest of the club in these forums. Many times it's a judgement call, and they err on the side of what they think will be best in the situation. I, for one thank them for all that they do and congratulate them on a fine job.

Linc;

This is post 100 for me and I have been involved with posts being deleted twice. Both times, I got an e-mail from the moderator doing the deleting explaining his reasons and asking for understanding. These folks are volunteers in a totally thankless job. I appreciate what they do even if I don't always completely agree with the reasoning behind it. They have accepted the responsibility for maintaining the civility and best interest of the club in these forums. Many times it's a judgement call, and they err on the side of what they think will be best in the situation. I, for one thank them for all that they do and congratulate them on a fine job.

Yes, I mentioned that some give warnings or explanations. That is great. But others seem to simply delete what they do not like without any comments or reasons. I belong to about 6 other forums with cars and sick pets. This is the only forum that deletes things like this. I don't care for the massively offensive posts on some of the other forums on rare occasions. But I think I would rather choose whether or not to read them myself than to have everything stifled, and wonder whether I'm wasting my time responding to something that will just once again be deleted, especially if it is someone else's comment on page 7 that ends up with everything, even unoffensive stuff, being deleted.

Here is your solution ...

Create your own Public Forum about Classic Cars and Sick Pets ;)

Pay the website hosting fees and moderate it yourself - problem solved

Sick Pets and Classic Cars go together like ......

Animal Husbandry and Classic Cars ....... :confused:

This is a Public Forum called AACA not SPCA

Jim

Here is your solution ...

Create your own Public Forum about Classic Cars and Sick Pets ;)

Pay the website hosting fees and moderate it yourself - problem solved

Sick Pets and Classic Cars go together like ......

Animal Husbandry and Classic Cars ....... :confused:

This is a Public Forum called AACA not SPCA

Jim

There are obviously seperate forums for cars and sick pets. My point is that they all manage to exist without going down in flames or starting WWIII. My point is that while I agree with nothing you say, I don't think that your post should be deleted simply because it is not to my liking.

There are obviously seperate forums for cars and sick pets. My point is that they all manage to exist without going down in flames or starting WWIII. My point is that while I agree with nothing you say, I don't think that your post should be deleted simply because it is not to my liking.

You don't get it :rolleyes:

This is a Public Forum based upon Automobiles not Pets

Obviously you believe you have the right to post about any unrelated subject

Obviously the Moderators here do not share your opinion

Neither do I ;)

Go create your own Public or Private Forum and post away to your hearts content

Jim

this paticular category is labeled "general discussion" and should cover a broader range of subjects than the other 'specialized' categories. and when the general subject is 'cars' ... and it doesn't fit in a specific category... it belongs here! and that includes 'controversial posts'.:) p.s. linc400, your posts are 'in order' and i find all posts (by everybody) interesting, educational, entertaining. (imho.) trulyvintage, this includes you! one of the real nice things of this aaca forum is the great number involved. (i have been so well impressed by it i just might join the club!)

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

You don't get it :rolleyes:

This is a Public Forum based upon Automobiles not Pets

Obviously you believe you have the right to post about any unrelated subject

Obviously the Moderators here do not share your opinion

Neither do I ;)

Go create your own Public or Private Forum and post away to your hearts content

Jim

Where am I posting about pets? Please show me all the posts where I have done this. I come here to talk about cars. There can be forums on the internet about ANYTHING. And I can belong to as many as I want. If I was rambling about pets, politics, religion or anything else unrelated to cars here, I would not have a problem with that being deleted. I am talking about posts about CARS being deleted.

Guest windjamer

Linc. I somewhat agree with you,I think I have had more post deleated than the average,but at the same time I HAVE to agree with Dave A. I recently had a post shortened because it started again started to get a little Rasque?? (I know its most likely spelled wrong but you know what I mean) All in good fun, but still I admit a LITTLE out of place. So take it with a grane of salt,lifes to short to get up tight. After all,nobody gets out alive.:eek: The mods. give a lot,I bet if you asked they would be happy to let you have the job.

Linc400: Are you a member of AACA? If you are, you can state your views to the Board of Directors through open roundtables, letters or emails. Peter Gariepy, our webmaster is the Vice-President of Internet Communications and can review with the board any requested modification of our rules. This subject will not be debated on this forum.

In the meantime, other websites can maintain the content they want, it is their right. If they choose to not moderate their content or to allow potential liability issues that is also a decision they can make. The Club moderates these forums conservatively as we understand our publisher's liability policy, the board's intent for establishing this website and we are the one's paying to keep it alive. These forum's were designed to benefit the car hobby, promote restorations and preservation and not to discuss non-car topics. We also have standards that will not be crossed.

I do not know which thread you are talking about but obviously a moderator felt it was time to go. Sometimes a thread has just run its course and no more value can be attributed to keeping it. This is not a life and death matter. Obviously there are plenty of forums that people can go to which are more liberal in what they allow to be posted.

While YOU may want to choose what you read, it is not that simple for us. We are the ones who have to deal with irate members (who are paying for all of us to use this site) as well as our insurance carrier. Most of our moderators do PM a forum user to explain any deletions but some forget, do not have the time or simply feel it is self explanatory. In any case, everyone is doing this free of charge so you and others have an "old car place" to go.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
Thanks Susan, my English teacher would be upset! (see edit history)