Driving the new toy (Black/Black '65 Riv) from FL to San Diego

Guest ErikDurocher

Guest ErikDurocher

After 20 years of wanting to buy a cool classic car (my '75 Eldorado Conv. didn't count because it was "free") - the good & loaded '65 Riv w/ rebuilt 401 & lots of mechanical replacements - a thick bad paintjob, and plenty of rust, is now mine. Of course it has more issues & rust than the owner let on -but all there & running strong. My Grandpa would be proud to see I finally got a Buick.

Thank you all for the previous suggestions, help, and encouragement - if it wasn't just what I wanted & cheap, I would have avoided it due to rust -but the other ones in my price range looked much worse, needed full interior and paint or engine rebuild or both -and then some...

So, I left Pembroke Pines, FL around 7:30PM on Tuesday - after minor hicups I'm safely an hour west of San Antonio, TX in Kerville. 1,450 miles down, 1,220 to go. All without AC (bad compressor clutch), dash lights or a seatbelt... Ok, I know, not smart.

It runs and shifts very strong - takes off from 70-90 mph really well, gets tons of looks & thumbs up (as you all know) and has stayed under 210 degrees in the 90+ hot sun.

I'm aiming to get home Saturday evening and then make the Riviera/classics show in National City/San Diego, CA this Sunday. -Find me & come chat. I'll need tips.

Cheers,

-Erik

post-67054-143138265308_thumb.jpg

post-67054-143138265309_thumb.jpg

Guest Gee_Rydes

Road trips are the best!!! I did a non stop from Seattle to SoCal not too long ago, but that can't compare with cross country.

I am just up the road in Dana Point if you ever need some moral support.

I think it looks great. If you are happy with the price don't let a little rust bother you. I gave $6000 for my '65 ,it had rust in both quarters. But it was mechanically sound, interior was ok. I spent $1200 in materials and acouple of months doing body work and paint (with some help from some buddies). Know it is just what I wanted and I still have less in it than if you go find a "virgin". And I know exactly what was done to my car.

Guest ErikDurocher

Ever fix a carburator issue with a condom?

It's been a great (yet sometimes stressful & interesting) cross country trip thus far. With shady slow knucklhead "mechanics" in FL jacking me around & charging too much for the worst work I've seen in 22 years of auto ownership. 1st time using the re-done AC -the compressor clutch goes bad/loose/burnt & lopsided - $750 & still no AC for the whole way home. I did have a new Master cylinder put in -since it was shot on my 1st drive of the car. Work well now. But I think those monkeys put an extra quart or 2 of oil in with the change.

A no-start issue before leaving FL requiring 2 jumpstarts (loose/corroded ground) and drained battery due to temp-guage light staying on w/ key out. -Temp-fix w/ cut ground (twisted back together when it gets dark).

Pinhole leak ontop of radiator caused by rubbing on hood (no rubber on hoodstops) -I noticed it boiling out just as FL "mechanic" was finishing pretending to flush it for $60 (still mostly brown & rusty fluid) - the JB-weld the guy spread on top mostly worked but I later tightened some hose clamps & added stopleak -fixed. -Yet a swollen bulging top-hose needed a tape-wrap today.

The day I got to FL to pick it up the owner lets me know the top of windshield leaks -left me some silicone along w/ needed wiper blades. Drove through hard thunder-storm today near the Flood warnings in Lordsberg NM, my quick silicone job did ok -but I got wet inside anyhow. This just about an hour after some vapor-lock hit climbing the hill west of Las Cruces, NM -nearly causing a semi to climb up over my rear... Orig locking vented cap wouldn't open with the 7 keys and had to be broken off (got basic replacement). I thought it was something worse like overheat -but no, temp guage at 202-205 all day.

Oh, and this was after the sticking throttle made me run a red-light last night when pulling off the freeway in Kerrville, TX... which persisted until I did a temp-fix with a CONDOM & an elastic/string hairband using both as a spring to pull linkage back to idle. None of the next 3 stops had a good/any spring to use so I now have a great fix with a mini-bungie cord pulling on the linkage. Oh, and good thing my GPS shows my MPH at night -since the guage lights are out -haven't evaluated yet.

Anyhow, I almost made it to the planned Tuscon, AZ point tonight - but got to the worst Motel 6 I've ever seen -Willcox, AZ at 11:50pm.

By God I'll make it the 500 miles home tomorrow -and make that Riv meet on Sunday as planned, or die trying.

-I guess there is Buick in my blood. I'll look forward to hearing some of your stories fellas.

-Erik

Guest ErikDurocher

Hey Paul,

Good to hear from you & hope to meet sometime. -- Funny, my dad's name is Larry, but he's in WA state. I was contacted by a woman on Facebook last year who's dad was a Larry Durocher too (maybe same guy in CT?) -not my dad though.

And yes, I'm related to Leo Durocher -but not the famous baseball player/manager. He's my 20-month old nephew. ;-)

Guest ErikDurocher

Hello Dave,

Fun stuff. Yes, I've done that Seattle to CA (SLO) non-stop trip too. I lived in Seattle for 36 years & my mom is in SLO... I'll be passing through Dana Point twice on Tuesday (not in the Riv) -job interview that may have me driving up from SD 2-3 times a week...

Perhaps chat sometime.

-Erik

Guest Ranger

Erik:

What an adventure! re: the dash lights, on many early cars, these are on the same circuit as the tail-lights. Many times, no dash lights equal no tail lights. You might want to dig a little further into this if you're doing any more night driving.

Wishing you a great last 500 miles!

Good Luck,

Jim

Hi Erik,

I guess this should qulaify you for the LONG DISTANCE AWARD, THE MISC HARD LUCK STORY, and probably the latest Riviera owner.

Enjoyed reading about your adventures .... I guess that makes me a wimp,drove down from Fresno with my restored 65 Gran Sport (ON A TRAILER) no guts I guess.

Hope to meet you tomorrow and see yhour purchase .... do not recycle the coindom .... you may end up with a bigger adventure.

Paul

Guest ErikDurocher

Thanks Ranger -good to know. My tail & brake lights do work thank goodness -except 1 bulb. The fix list is Looooooong.

-Erik

Guest ErikDurocher

Ladies & gentlemen. That car has balls!

Left Wilcox, AZ close to noon after food gas & a buch of stuff at the auto parts store -including several carb springs. -I enjoyed a good 40 min. BS-ing w/ a few guys about thier cars -and this one. Pulled off the I-8 at Seaworld at 8:25, got a scrumptious greasy burrito in PB, a cold beer & home at 8:55. -Despite other mobilization issues, vapor lock, a 4200 ft. pass & 100+ heat, rainstorms, as well as nearly being sandwitched by two oblivious drivers -I'll be at the event tomorrow by noon and she'll be hot & purring. I've broken her in and she has broken me in. -May report later on the total fuel/misc charges... I better get that job.

I'll look forward to hearing some of your stories as well.

-Erik

ROA member # 12873

'65 401 (rebuilt .030 over) Black/Black Deluxe w/ Posi

WOW!! WHAT A TRIP!!! Reminds me of a run I made years ago on a rigid frame Harley, and I mean long enough ago, that unlike today, you might see 3 or 4 Harleys on a 1000 mile trip. You've got ballso'steel, I'll say that much for you, making a 2700 mile trip in a totally unknown 45 year old car, and in a black on black car with no A/C on I-10, the beginning of August no less....WOW AGAIN!! Hats off to you and best of luck with the new "baby".

Art Bohn

ROA#12350

post-62685-1431382676_thumb.jpg

Guest ErikDurocher

Thank you Art -and all -for the congrats.

It was such a great week -and perfect day getting to the National City ROA event & show... A big highlight of my life thus far. I had been wanting a great classic and to be a part of a car show ever since I was about 16 (1988) -finally the culmination of 6 months of searching, surviving the 2800 miles, accomplishing getting a great car I'd been wanting for years, and being so welcomed at the show was one of the best feelings I've ever had.

It was a pleasure to meet and speak with other Riv owners and those who'd heard of my trek.

Yes, it was all worth it!!! Even with no AC. I'm extreemly pleased with the car, all it's options, how it runs -and that it's black, beautiful, fast & mine. (My grandfather would love it & be proud as well.)

It came with a big stack of records & receipts -including the 401 rebuild, as well as the original Owners Manual & ProtectoPlate still in book with Ross Martin's info - his name on the plaque on the console. I am the 4th owner, (3rd owner bought it in 1995) Mr. Martin owned it from 1965 until 1992 - and I have his original invoice from the Spain Buick in Petersburg, VA -showing all the options, Posi-trac, (Undercoating, Wash, wax, polish & gas was $70) - total price came to $5,999.40.

Also included was a copy of Mr. Martin's original VA Title #4669276...

I love this car, just got new battery. New tires tomorrow, then new pwr steering pump or seals, new plugs, pionts, rotor, filters, radiator (4core) new 140 amp Alternator, new R. wing window frame (anyone know where to find one?) all new hoses, weatherstrip & window rubber, door tracks, hood ornament, etc.... OPGI, Steele, Summit & RockAuto are going to love me.

I attached a pic of that condom fix on the carb-linkage (yellow band along w/other strap added down the road). The great shot of it at the show was a proud moment too (sorry if came across as too proud). The other photo of the rear at the top of the I-8 pass was such a beautiful sight and a HUGE relief to make it. After all day in the hot sun, 210 temp guage, swollen top hose, sticky throttle & 3-4 stops for vapor lock problems, it was "all down hill" from here.

Sooo very glad I have the experience to share, sounds like Lee Carroll & Ray Knott want a feature article -I'll likely create a separate photo-diary of the trip. Stay tuned.

I'll look forward to other meets & the wealth of info many of you so graciously share.

-Happy Riv-ing

Erik Durocher

ROA member # 12873

'65 401 Black/Black Deluxe w/ Posi

post-67054-143138270133_thumb.jpg

post-67054-143138270148_thumb.jpg

post-67054-143138270162_thumb.jpg

post-67054-143138270166_thumb.jpg

Guest ErikDurocher

Thanks guys,

I'm still loving it...

After new Master Cylinder, AC, fluids, oil/filter, belts, battery, tires, plugs, points, coil, rotor/cap, fuel filter, etc. are done this week, I want to replace the very leaky Pwr. Steering pump (before the radiator/hoses/alternator/air cleaner/trunk kit/etc...)

I'm wanting a chrome one since I plan to have lots of other things replaced in chrome (& have the valve covers done).

I've found a couple options - niether are like the original.

Q?1: Do any of you know of any complications I may have swapping in one of these Saginaw pumps for '66-'76 GM JEGS 60700 JEGS Power Steering Pumps along w/ a chrome pulley, -06AN x 5/8" -18 adaptor, and the existing '65 Riv 401/AC OE Bracket?? (to be cleaned painted) Looks like these may require spacers or bracket adaptors?

Q?2: When replacing current 2-wire Alternator w/ a new 140Amp Chrome 2-wire Alt. w/ built in Voltage Regulator -what should be done to "disconnect" current external Voltage Regulator?

Q?3: Any common reason that the blinkers will stay on after car is off/key out - or could this be the mis-wire/short problem that is draining my new battery? -Or maybe that's due to the Electric A/C fan the "mechanics" in FL put in which, unless AC is switched off, will also stay on w/ car off...? (Alt. checked out OK)

Q?4: Any sources for new or Re-chromed Wing Window (pivoting) Frames? Mine are rusting/decayed. New rubber all around eventually.

Enough for now -more to come for sure. Thank you in advance...

-Cheers,

Erik Durocher

ROA member # 12873

'65 401 Black/Black Deluxe w/ Posi

Guest ErikDurocher

Ah ha yes, thank you very much for the excellent resources & help Ed.

-yikes, more of an electrical challenge than I'd hoped for -or should tackle. I'll try to hunt down that batt-drain problem, (just used the Dremel to grind corossion off of about 30 connections from Alt to Batt -relays & Volt Reg.) that should help. I'll likely replace the voltage regulator ($30) & may add volt/oil/temp guages before converting to non-VR.

:(Know any good classic auto electricians in San Diego who would be capable of that Alt. conversion?

Thanks again & drive safely.

-Erik

Edited by ErikDurocher (see edit history)