FINALLY going to rebuild my V12 *HELP*

After 2 years, I am finally beginning a rebuild foir my 1941

Continental.

I have attached photos of the block (and have LOTS more)

What year is this block??

Today I have just heard from the machine shop that is cleaning the block -

they have found FIVE cracks in the valve areas. Do I have it

fixed or look for another block??

LOTS MORE TO FOLLOW

Michael Lynch

post-39370-143138256892_thumb.jpg

post-39370-1431382569_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143138256905_thumb.jpg

I just found a place that sells a kit for fixing blocks that are cracked with a special screw, its like pinning but the screws have a curved thread on them that interlocks.

Its being used on a lot of diesel engines with no failures.

I will post the web site when my wife gets home, she has it on her phone.

Wish I would have known about it last year when my block cracked.

Here is the web site for the crack repair.

http://locknstitch.com/AboutCSeries.htm

Edited by v12lincoln (see edit history)

What a gorgeous car, that color blue looks so nice on this car!!

Cracks not un-common in this V-12. Esp exhaust valve heat so close to cylinder. I can not help much on crack repairs, but haven't some guys pinned crack, then cast iron welded, machine in a new sleeve and seat? Might call around to guys in LZOC club who have done several repairs to see which method has proven most successful. Paul

post-45349-143138257074_thumb.jpg

Phil Knapp just finished fixing a cracked block also, see what he has to say. Ive had my block pinned twice and welded on top of the pinning job. nothing has been permanent yet. The minor cracks I had in the exhaust seat were taken care of when I had hardened seats installed.

Guest frenchy dehoux

Michael

I would be looking for another V12 block and not mess around by trying to repair the one you have. The car is to nice to build a junk motor.

Frenchy

Guest frenchy dehoux

If you cannot locate a nice block call Merv Atkins he has a nice selection of blocks at his shop. The last engine I build in January I had to buy another block from Merv as the customer 's block was cracked at the bottom on the inside edge where the freeze plugs are. Make sure you check this area if you find one.

Frenchy

Merv shop phone # 1909 9801332

Guest Jim Zephyr

just looked at these pictures closely - V-12 block is of postwar vintage, this is easily noted by the larger middle water jacket that extends beyond the oil pan line. "B-2" also gives this away, although I dont entirely understand what B-2 means - I have seen it on replacement parts like heads in the past - anyone know more about the B-2 numbering?

Very nice 1941 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet - would love to see more photos...

Guest Jim Zephyr

Yes I remember now - you were in the same line of cars that we were - I like the triple blue:

who did your top? It looks very good. I hope there is a meet somewhere near next year as I am looking forward to a road trip. I hope you have an engine back in your car soon!